SeeYou MOBILE v2.0!

Old July 7th 04, 06:31 PM
Roy McMaster

Default SeeYou MOBILE v2.0!

MOBILE:

We are very pleased to inform you of the Internet availability of
SeeYou MOBILE Version 2.0 released June 30, 2004. There have been
significant improvements over the 2004 SSA Convention version and you
should go to the web site and download the free upgrade as soon as you
have an opportunity:

http://mobile.seeyou.ws/dload-mseeyou.php

Be sure you have your PDA in its cradle and Active Sync running to
facilitate the transfer and installation.

There is also a PDF version of the Manual released June 30, 2004 in
addition to the "On Screen" help within the program. You may find
benefit in printing the Manual and carefully reading it to more fully
comprehend all the power of version 2.0. I found it very useful.

http://mobile.seeyou.ws/dload-help.php

A significant concept, new to me, in MOBILE's moving map is using the
L/D as the measure of ability to get to a given point or airport. You
can set up two Nav Boxes on each map page with "Required L/D" and
"Current Achieved L/D". I place Current above Required and can easily
see my ability to make a given point and the safety margin. The
"Altitude Reserve" you specified on the Mc/Wind page is included in
the "Required L/D" calculation. You no longer need to think the
larger numbers of altitude and elevation, just what kind of L/D (two
digit numbers) you need compared with what you actually have. This
automatically corrects for estimated wind, bugs, water ballast and
sink!

Other outstanding features include automatic START with the time
displayed on the screen, Airspace Warnings and automatic logging of
the flight from the received GPS data, not the log in a logger memory.
Read the Manual so you don't miss the many important features so easy
to use once you know how to activate them.

SeeYou:

You should also be running SeeYou v2.7 for the latest MOBILE
Connection Wizard to easily transfer the desired Vector maps,
waypoints, airports and airspace into your PDA.

http://www.seeyou.ws/dload-seeyou.php

Be sure you select the "UPGRADE" or you will loose your personal
settings and registration key and have to reenter them.

Check your SeeYou waypoint database to verify if the runways are
properly aligned after removing the magnetic variation. That way they
will display in the proper orientation on MOBILE's maps. The World
Wide Turnpoint Exchange has a SeeYou.CUP version of each database
under the "Files Formatted for Downloading" section. See the example
for Harris Hill on the link below. You have to scroll down to

http://acro.harvard.edu/SOARING/JL/T...ll//files.html

You can easily verify if your waypoint database in SeeYou has the
runway info or if you need to open and correct each point. If all the
runways are aligned North-South nothing has been done to correct the
database. You may also notice all are identified as PAVED RUNWAYS.

Good luck and contact Andrej or me if you need help. I know you will
spread the word once you start using it!

Roy McMaster
SeeYou© USA
265 Lew Storch Road
Elmira, NY 14903-9345
607-734-4308 Office
607-738-8444 Cell
607-734-4309 FAX

www.seeyou.ws
www.mobile.seeyou.ws
Lat. 42° 06.922'N, Long. 76° 53.832'W
Soaring Pilots use SeeYou and MOBILE!
Old July 8th 04, 05:32 AM
Andy Blackburn

I've been playing with this the last few days and find
it to be very impressive - at least on the ground.
It has a rich feature set a very clean interface (if
a bit of an eye test) and seems to be quite stable.
It appears that it is now competition-ready. Nice job!

9B

Old July 9th 04, 12:35 PM
Chris OCallaghan

Roy,

Thanks for the update. Can you recommend the optimal
(performance-based, not price-based) hardware set up?

Thanks
Old July 9th 04, 04:33 PM
Oscar S Alonso

I wish SeeYou offered a Apple OS/X or Linux version (I hate Windows)

Regards,
Oscar.

Old July 9th 04, 08:02 PM
ADP

Hmm...

Let's see, 12 Linux users, 53 Mac OS users and 500,000,000 Windows users. I
wonder which OS provides the best opportunity for profit?

I hate lima beans.

;-}

Allan

Old July 10th 04, 03:28 AM
David

Funny, I suppose, but SeeYou and Topo USA are the only
reason I'm still running that piece of s^%t hacker-magnet
OS from Redmond.

I love the new Mac OS, and Fedora Linux is amazingly polished.

David

Old July 10th 04, 11:58 AM
Derrick Steed

Martin Gregorie wrote:
Simple answer: follow the NOTAMplot lead and write desktop soaring
software in Java so we can all have copies regardless of which OS we
run.

Like all simple answers, it's wrong: Java is portable because of the JVM
(Java Virtual Machine), this is a java processor which runs in software on
the host machine. As many people have learned to their cost, you pay for
this abstraction in compute cycles (lots of them!) - thus Java is SLOW.
Unless you know of a source of very high speed PDA's which can also support
LARGE amounts of RAM, then this one is a dead duck. You'll need both to
support the kind of functions you now find in the PDA flight director
systems on offer: e.g. moving map, support for different projections, etc.

They are all written in C++ anyway, and that is the architypal portable
language which also has the required performance even on PDA's, so why not
port SeeYou (or whatever) to a Linux PDA? Better yet, use Cumulus and give
some support to that (it runs under OPIE on PPC devices, or on any linux
PDA): http://cumulus.kflog.org http://cumulus.kflog.org

Rgds,

Derrick Steed

Old July 10th 04, 03:01 PM
Roy McMaster

(Chris OCallaghan) wrote in message . com...
Roy,

Thanks for the update. Can you recommend the optimal
(performance-based, not price-based) hardware set up?

Thanks

Go to the MOBILE web site and check out the compatible hardwa

http://mobile.seeyou.ws/hardware.php

There are many options. Paul Remde's Cumulus Soaring Supplies has
lots of connection wires and mounts for various configurations of
almost all systems.
Old July 10th 04, 04:02 PM
Martin Gregorie

On 10 Jul 2004 10:58:14 GMT, Derrick Steed
wrote:

Martin Gregorie wrote:
Simple answer: follow the NOTAMplot lead and write desktop soaring
software in Java so we can all have copies regardless of which OS we
run.

Like all simple answers, it's wrong: Java is portable because of the JVM
(Java Virtual Machine), this is a java processor which runs in software on
the host machine.

I know that and its not as slow as you may think. This is said from
the perspective of doing Java development on a 133 MHz PC. What IS
very slow and uses cycles like crazy is loading classes from JAR
files: not only do you have to search the file, but you need to expand
it first. Once an application has all its classes loaded it actually
runs pretty fast.

A properly designed and implemented VM isn't slow - in the good old
days of COBOL and mainframes I used a 4GL, Filetab. It was
implemented, like Perl, as a compile-and-go script with the result run
in a VM. That executed as fast as a well-written COBOL program and
faster than a badly written one.

As many people have learned to their cost, you pay for
this abstraction in compute cycles (lots of them!) - thus Java is SLOW.
Unless you know of a source of very high speed PDA's which can also support
LARGE amounts of RAM, then this one is a dead duck. You'll need both to
support the kind of functions you now find in the PDA flight director
systems on offer: e.g. moving map, support for different projections, etc.

Errm, I did say DESKTOP applications.

They are all written in C++ anyway, and that is the architypal portable
language which also has the required performance even on PDA's,

and is noticeably less efficient in cycles burnt than plain ANSI C.

so why not
port SeeYou (or whatever) to a Linux PDA?

I'd settle for ports to a plain Linux desktop - as I said, I wasn't
talking about PDA software. However, if Java is practical on a Palm,
which it is, then it should fly on an Intel-based PDA unless WinCE
really sucks in the efficiency department.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Any LX5000, SeeYou Mobile & Downloader users ... Ted Wagner Soaring 2 April 4th 04 05:48 PM
Mobile SeeYou & Winpilot Ian Molesworth Soaring 8 March 25th 04 02:07 AM
SeeYou Mobile Robert Fidler Soaring 0 March 17th 04 05:18 PM
SeeYou Mobile question Greg Arnold Soaring 1 February 19th 04 05:24 PM
SeeYou mobile questions Andy Durbin Soaring 5 February 19th 04 01:16 AM