Denver to Taos NM

Old March 23rd 05, 09:04 PM
Paul kgyy

Default Denver to Taos NM

I'm planning a flight from Denver Co to Taos NM around Memorial Day,
non-turbo Arrow. Available options to negotiate the Sangre De Cristo
mountain range appear to be either La Veta pass, west from Cimarron, or
way down south around Las Vegas. I'd appreciate some comment from
people experienced with the route.

Old March 24th 05, 01:13 AM
Dan Wegman

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm planning a flight from Denver Co to Taos NM around Memorial Day,
non-turbo Arrow. Available options to negotiate the Sangre De Cristo
mountain range appear to be either La Veta pass, west from Cimarron, or
way down south around Las Vegas. I'd appreciate some comment from
people experienced with the route.

I once flew from ABQ to COS in a non-turbo Skylane and went through La Veta
pass on the northbound trip and through the mountains west of Cimarron on
the way back. West of Cimarron you'll have a nice route that will take you
west, then south over Eagle Nest lake and then west again just before you
overfly Angel Fire. (Follow the road that runs through the valley.) One
consideration may be the winds. Flying south along the windward side of the
mountains all the way to Cimarron may give you a rougher ride if it's windy.

Old March 24th 05, 01:47 AM
Don Hammer

On 23 Mar 2005 12:04:34 -0800, "Paul kgyy"
wrote:

I'm planning a flight from Denver Co to Taos NM around Memorial Day,
non-turbo Arrow. Available options to negotiate the Sangre De Cristo
mountain range appear to be either La Veta pass, west from Cimarron, or
way down south around Las Vegas. I'd appreciate some comment from
people experienced with the route.

I made the trip from Taos to Salida and back in a glider once, right
down the top of the rocks. Had two Air Force fighters pass under me
down one valley. Probably wouldn't do that same route in a power
plane, but if I remember right, the terrain falls away pretty fast on
both sides. Got stuck for a while trying to climb Blanca Peak and I
can tell you what every rock looks like on top of it.

There is the Great Sand Dunes National park, a lot of miliitary
training traffic, indian reservations and sage brush. If you land in
a reservation, they ask you why you are sitting in their airplane.
The sage brush is huge and apart from a few ranch strips, any
emergency landing is on roads that are lined with reflectors. Those
make big dings in glider wings.

What a beautiful part of the country - I am envious. Be careful and
have a fun trip.

Don

Old March 24th 05, 05:24 AM
Scott D.

wrote:

I'm planning a flight from Denver Co to Taos NM around Memorial Day,
non-turbo Arrow. Available options to negotiate the Sangre De Cristo
mountain range appear to be either La Veta pass, west from Cimarron, or
way down south around Las Vegas. I'd appreciate some comment from
people experienced with the route.

I fly those routes almost weekly and either one will work. I suggest
you go one way out there and come back the other. One thing that I do
notice going through La Veta is that in the afternoons, it can get
messy with storms so I would go through there in the mornings if
possible. You will notice that there is a lot more scenery if you
stay on the east side of the mountain and go down to Las Vegas NM,
then you will if you go through the valley. In the Valley, its just
brown, where on the east side its more green and there are a lot more
features, IMHO.

Scott D

To email remove spamcatcher
Old March 24th 05, 06:45 PM

Paul kgyy wrote:
I'm planning a flight from Denver Co to Taos NM around Memorial Day,
non-turbo Arrow. Available options to negotiate the Sangre De Cristo
mountain range appear to be either La Veta pass, west from Cimarron, or
way down south around Las Vegas. I'd appreciate some comment from
people experienced with the route.

Please consider taking the mountain flying course (ground school) from
Colorado Pilots Association: http://coloradopilotsassociation.org/

This course will be presented at:
- the Greeley - Weld County Airport (GXY),
at the AIMS Hangar on Saturday, April 23, 2005,
- and again in June and August at Denver's Centennial Airport (APA),
in the APA Tower, in the conference room.

If you are interested in more information, please contact me directly.

From Denver, please consider flying southwest to near Salida.
Choose either Ponca Pass (directly south of Salida), or Hayden Pass,
~10 miles southeast of Salida.

This puts you in the San Luis Valley... and it is downhill to Taos!

Alternate... if the weather is bad in the mountains, please consider
flying south along I-25, to Santa Fe and then going north.

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocation!" Eberhard

--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com WEB http://users.frii.com/jer/
Old March 24th 05, 07:26 PM
Alan

Paul,

Memorial Day week-end in Taos is a blast. There's a major motorcycle
rally in Red River and you can sit on the patio at the Taos Inn being
entertained by the parade of cycles passing on the Paseo del Pueblo
Norte.

I fly this this regularly from Boulder (1V5) in my '60 Skylane. My
usual route is straight south down the front range, over La Veta Pass
and then south to Taos. Early morning is always the best bet for a
number of reasons. First, La Veta tends to get obscured beginning
as early as about 11am. Second, you'll start getting turbulance from
afternoon thermals on the west side of the pass in the San Luis
Valley.

La Veta Pass does have an AWOS but I've found it to be pretty quirky
and I don't trust the info it transmits most of the time. I usually
file a PIREP with Denver Fligh****ch when I'm approaching Walsenburg
to update them on what I found coming south and to see if they have
any PIREPS from the pass.

Rental cars are available at the FBO from Enterprise but you should
book in advance. There's no taxi or shuttle service into town. I
have a few pictures on my web site, if you're interested.

Have fun!

Alan Bloom
N8565T
'60 C182

Dogs can fly.
http://www.flyingmutts.com

Old March 26th 05, 04:32 AM
Andrew Sarangan

La Veta pass is not all that bad. I have flown this route a few times.
If the winds are light at 9000', then you don't have much to worry
about. The pass is around 9400'. If you can climb to 12500' then it
should not be a factor. I would avoid flying to Las Vegas. The east side
of these mountains are notorious for mountain waves.I've been beat up
quite a few times flying around LVS.

"Paul kgyy" wrote in news:1111608273.977036.211860
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I'm planning a flight from Denver Co to Taos NM around Memorial Day,
non-turbo Arrow. Available options to negotiate the Sangre De Cristo
mountain range appear to be either La Veta pass, west from Cimarron,

or
way down south around Las Vegas. I'd appreciate some comment from
people experienced with the route.

Homebuilding Killed John Denver never_moore352 Home Built 36 September 4th 04 03:38 AM
Taos in June Paul Bloxham Soaring 0 March 18th 04 02:37 AM
USA: SSF CFIG Renewal Clinic Denver April 17-18, 2004 / Wander SoarBooks Soaring 0 March 10th 04 06:44 PM
Denver Terminal Area Chart Question - BVR vor/dme Robert Easton Piloting 35 February 8th 04 04:07 AM
Business Aircraft & Jet Preview - Denver, CO - August 6, 2003 Mergatroide Owning 0 July 21st 03 05:36 PM