Into OSH at age 17

Old July 24th 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

Default Into OSH at age 17

Al schrieb:
What a great adventure. Oh..to be 17 again...with a plane!

.... and not allowed to drink a beer *pff* (ah, well, come to us, here it
is allowed).

:-)

but overall it is a nice writeup and a well done job.

#m
Old July 24th 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Martin Hotze wrote in news:g6alki$1n2$3
@kirk.hotze.com:

Al schrieb:
What a great adventure. Oh..to be 17 again...with a plane!

... and not allowed to drink a beer *pff* (ah, well, come to us, here it
is allowed).

Of course it is. You gotta get the tropps likkered up before their next
lemming like military adventure!

Bertie
Old July 25th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

... and not allowed to drink a beer *pff* (ah, well, come to us, here it
is allowed).

:-)

We'll be there (sort of) in September, Martin!

Well, minus Joe -- he'll be hard at work, doing his first semester at the
university. He'll have to do his own Oktoberfest someday....

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 25th 08, 11:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

Jay Honeck schrieb:

We'll be there (sort of) in September, Martin!

either you are here or you'RE not. So what's the story?

#m
--
"I have to say the biggest threat comes from overseas, and one
of the places we are increasingly worried about is Europe."
Old July 26th 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

We'll be there (sort of) in September, Martin!

either you are here or you'RE not. So what's the story?

We'll be in Munich and Salzburg for Oktoberfest.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old July 27th 08, 11:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

Jay Honeck schrieb:
We'll be there (sort of) in September, Martin!

either you are here or you'RE not. So what's the story?

We'll be in Munich and Salzburg for Oktoberfest.

This is 2 hours by car (one way) away from my place (Innsbruck).

#m
Old July 27th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JG

On Jul 23, 4:51*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
Well, my son departed for Oshkosh this morning in our "new" (to us) 1948
Ercoupe. He's 17, earned his ticket last fall, and has a grand total of
around 70 hours.

At 1:45 PM, three hours later, Joe called me to say "Guess where I am?" Yep,
he was all set up in the "Vintage" area, with his tent, cooler, chair, and
cold pop all ready for the show to start! Of course, that won't happen until
next Monday, but with his limited experience we figured that doing the FISK
approach might be a *bit* much for him -- so arriving this early solves
everything rather neatly.

And what an adventure! This is his 18th consecutive AirVenture (not counting
in vitro!) so he's almost literally grown up on Wittman Field, and he knows
every inch of the place like the back of his hand. Amazingly, we realized
that this is his first time away from home truly by himself -- and what a
way to do it, flying an aircraft solo into the biggest aviation "happening"
on earth!

Man, I wish I could be there with him. Trouble is, in an Ercoupe you can
*either* bring a passenger, *or* you can bring camping gear -- but not both!
This truly was the ONLY way to get the 'Coupe to OSH this year -- but Mary,
Becca, and I will join him Sunday, when we fly the Pathfinder in after our
fly-in pool party.

And with his extra 180 pounds of useful load in the Pathfinder we'll be able
to arrive with a cooler full of cold beverages, instead of nearly dying of
thirst while setting up the tent in the North 40...

:-)

So if -- whilst traipsing through the Vintage area -- *you happen to see a
young guy sitting next to an orange and white Ercoupe that looks like the
2008 Hallmark Aviation Xmas ornament, give him a high five for a job well
done!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
Ercoupe N94856www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

That explains the vintage warbirds cruising north past Northerly
Island this weekend, we put the Safties back on the SAMs, JG