Klaus Ohlmann triangle world records in Patagonia

Old January 14th 11, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Juanman

Default Klaus Ohlmann triangle world records in Patagonia

Klaus Ohlmann has broken more world records in Patagonia, some of the
few he didn't hold (or rather some of his own records which were
recently broken). Triangles in Patagonia are extraordinarily
difficult because they require leaving the wave routes along the Andes
to get a turnpoint in the Pampas and then return against headwinds
back to the wave routes.

This has not been a good year for wave flying in Patagonia due to the
"La Niña" phenomenon. Nevertheless there have been several 2K+
flights. Here is Klaus' report and a link to the OLC files:

PILOT REPORT 12.01.2011

World record 1750,6 km declared triangle, 1755,5 km free triangle and
Speed task for a 1750 km triangle with 119,29 km/h.

It was really a great day for me. I have worked so hard for years, of
course with a lot of pleasure, to find different solutions for this
triangle stuff, which, as we know, is not really adapted for wave-
flying. I'm quite sure, that this is the best solution for the
problem.

There are certainly better days than yesterday to do this flight.

The first 200 km were weak and blue until El Maiten. But even then it
was not easy to find the best lifts. I stopped climbing most of the
time in 4000m due to weaker lifts above. I was one hour too late at
the first TP. But the second leg was better than in the planning with
one great lift in the middle of nowhere. It was the only one up to FL
195 on this leg, the rest were only weak alignments above the cumulus.
After TP 2 I was forced to pass below the clouds in thermals, due to
lack of wave lifts, which were strong enough. It was a long trip
between "hope and fear" against the wind. I tried always to go more to
El Maiten to come back to the first wave line, a little bit closer to
home. But finally I went back to the south due to the enormous Rotor
lennies formed there. No regrets, up to 9 m/s!! The rest was a last
race against the end of the daylight. As always, it was this mixture
of adapted planning during one week, hope, determination and good
luck, which makes our sport so exciting.

Klaus Ohlmann

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=1604149
Old January 14th 11, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy[_2_]

Congratulations on your great flight! Thanks for sharing this with
us.
It is nice to have some pilots information beside just looking at your
flight
on OLC.

Randy
Old January 14th 11, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Jan 14, 8:41*am, Juanman wrote:
[...]

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0....html?dsId=160....

wow, awesome flight!
Old January 15th 11, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrej Kolar[_3_]

Extraordinary! Congratulations!!

Andrej
--
glider pilots use
http://www.Naviter.com

On 14 jan., 15:41, Juanman wrote:
[...]

FAI triangle records speed question Bruno Soaring 1 June 6th 09 05:05 PM
Zoom & World Records Al G[_1_] Home Built 0 March 18th 08 08:57 PM
World Records Nick Gilbert Soaring 2 February 26th 04 06:43 PM
100k triangle world record claim Stewart Kissel Soaring 0 November 11th 03 05:21 PM
First California World Class Records Steve Pawling Soaring 3 August 4th 03 11:47 PM