Would this plane have flown?

Old March 22nd 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Default Would this plane have flown?

You would also want to contact your insurance company because most aircraft
insurance policies are restricted to "when a valid standard
airworthiness certificate" is on the airplane.

The insurance co's attitude was "spend what you have to, do what ever
you have to" to get the plane out of Mexico. If a pilot leaves a plane
in Mexico it can take months to get it back. The Mexican gov't has a
real hard time with pilots exiting that are not the pilot who flew the
plane in. Also, they know there is money in fixing airplanes and they
want to make real sure they get a piece of that. Everything in Mexico
requires lots of paperwork and every paper needs lots and lots of
stamps

-Robert

Old March 22nd 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

That may all be true, but the FAA does have the ferry permit
to allow damaged airplanes to be flown, solo or required
crew only. Your insurance company has a contract to insure
your airplane if you operate it in accordance with the FAA
regulations.

oups.com...

Old March 22nd 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Purely from an academic standpoint, I'm curious why people go into remote
areas of a foreign country (particularly one like Mexico) without some way
of calling for help if they get stuck, not having made arrangements/contacts
with a local mechanic in case there were some kind of problem, etc. People
who can afford having an A&P come down to Mexico to fix a problem ought to
be able to afford a little planning ahead for eventualities just like this
one. Academically speaking, of course.

Juan

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.thegaryhouse.com/aircraftdamage/

I was down in a remote area of Mexico this last weekend and a truck
backed into my aileron. I was lucky that the driver had a sat phone and
I was able to call an A&P to come down to Mexico and swap it for me.
However, all the local pilots, and the A&P who came down seemed to
think it would have flown ok as was. From a simply academic point of
view I"m curious what you guys think.

-Robert

Old March 22nd 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

I don't call ahead and make arrangements for a mechanic at every airport I
land at. If something goes wrong, I'll deal with the problem.

"Juan Jimenez" wrote in message
om...
[...]

*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from

http://www.SecureIX.com ***

Old March 22nd 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Yes, i think she would have flown, but the aerodynamics may be a bit
off until u got it repaired.

Old March 22nd 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Your insurance company has a contract to insure
your airplane if you operate it in accordance with the FAA regulations.

The insurance co was pretty clear that they did not want me to wait
around for the paperwork process and wanted me to get it back to the
U.S.. The longer you wait around, the more likely the Mexicans will
notice the plane is damaged.

-Robert

Old March 22nd 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

ditto

Old March 22nd 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

"Morgans" wrote in message

"NW_PILOT" wrote

I think it would have done OK!

Yeah, I really trust your judgment.
--
Jim in NC

A lot of people have trusted my judgment all the airplanes I have delivered
have all made their destination.

Steven L. Rhine
CP ASEL & AMEL Instrument Airplane
CFI (Student)

Old March 23rd 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

not having made arrangements/contacts
with a local mechanic in case there were some kind of problem, etc

Having a local mechanic work on your plane only solves 1/2 the problem
because the plane is again illegal as soon as you get back to the
states since you would need another log entry from a U.S. mechanic. I
think its better to skip the Mexican mechanic and just have the A&P do
the work and don't let the Mexicans find out.

-Robert

Old March 23rd 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Nobody can really tell just by looking at the picture. I would want a
look at the aileron attach points and control linkages - but that would
be a flashlight-and-mirror deal. If they were OK, I would cheerfully
sign the ferry premit and fly it.

The damage to the aileron is superficial. Stay in the green arc and it
will be OK. Do I know that beyond a shadow of a doubt? No. But as an
A&P and engineer, I consider it so close to certainty that I would be
willing to take the risk.

Michael