Winter project

Old December 30th 04, 10:16 PM

Default Winter project

Just changed the memory battery in my Cambridge model 20 GPS recorders.
No big deal, Rex who the Cambridge dealer at Williams Soaring showed me
how:

+ Purchase new batteries #2325 from local drug store/ radio shack.

+ Power up your GPS in order not to lose memory and security.

+ Remove 2 screws that hold antenna.

+ Under antenna you will see the battery, hold clip up and slide old
battery out.

+ Slip new battery in (+ up)

+ Replace antenna and screws.

Now that wasn't all that hard, was it? I used a small screw driver to
hold the retaining clip up, it would be a good idea to NOT touch the
case with any tool used to remove the battery. Case is probably
negative and we're working on the positive side of the battery. If you
get a spark followed by a puff of smoke------------------------I have
found the only way to get that little puff of smoke back inside the
little black box is to send it back to the factory.

Enjoy,
JJ
PS, My memory battery now reads 3.3 Volts, not its normal 2.8

PS #2, A day was lost at the standard nats this year because of "No
Trace"

Old January 1st 05, 03:26 AM
Papa3

JJ,

Sounds easy enough. One question though - wouldn't you now have a "security
invalid" message for all traces? Not that it matters for non-record/badge
work, but...

Erik Mann
LS8-18 (P3)
ups.com...

Old January 1st 05, 03:32 AM
Marc Ramsey

Papa3 wrote:
Sounds easy enough. One question though - wouldn't you now have a "security
invalid" message for all traces? Not that it matters for non-record/badge
work, but...

No, the GPS-NAV is designed such that you can replace the battery
without breaking the security seal. That is why power must be applied,
the contents of the security memory are then maintained by the external
power source. If no external power is connected when the battery is
removed, the contents of the security memory will be lost, and the
electronic seal will be broken.

Marc

Old January 1st 05, 08:39 PM
Eric Greenwell

The 302 manual makes no mention of an internal battery, so I assume
there is no need to change it. I don't know how they handle trashing the
security seal if the box is opened.

Papa3 wrote:

Sounds easy enough. One question though - wouldn't you now have a
"security
invalid" message for all traces? Not that it matters for
non-record/badge
work, but...

No, the GPS-NAV is designed such that you can replace the battery without
breaking the security seal. That is why power must be applied, the
contents of the security memory are then maintained by the external power
source. If no external power is connected when the battery is removed,
the contents of the security memory will be lost, and the electronic seal
will be broken.

Marc

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old January 1st 05, 09:06 PM
Marc Ramsey

Eric Greenwell wrote:
The 302 manual makes no mention of an internal battery, so I assume
there is no need to change it. I don't know how they handle trashing the
security seal if the box is opened.

There is an internal long-life lithium battery, it just doesn't need to
be replaced on a routine basis. Eventually, I suspect, it will need
replacement (perhaps after 10 years or so), in which case the 302 will
need to be returned to Cambridge or one of its agents...

Marc

Old January 1st 05, 10:05 PM
John Sinclair

I wasn't paying much attention to this (Back-up battery)
until I loaded a site into my model 20, took the little
black box out to my sailplane, turned it on and it
said, 'No turn points loaded'. What's this? I just
did that? Took it back in the house, powered up the
box and loaded them again. Back out to the ship and
(you guessed it)------no turnpoints loaded. Ah Ha,
bet that little back-up battery (the one that was 9
years old) has taken a dump. The replacement battery
was stamped 'Lithium'. I have decided to change them
every 5 years.
JJ

Old January 1st 05, 11:19 PM
HL Falbaum

Do you know that for sure or could it be some type of non-volatile memory?
That Dittle FSG71M has a built-in Lithium battery for it's memory which is
soldered into the PC board and looks like a capacitor. Dittle recommends
changing every 5-6 years. Not a job for amateurs.

--
Hartley Falbaum

Old January 2nd 05, 05:09 AM
Stewart Kissel

PS, My memory battery now reads 3.3 Volts, not its
normal 2.8

JJ-

You got me motivated to check mine...using the Cambridge
Aero program...with the Model 20 hooked up to your
puter...you can right click to properties and get the
backup voltage....3.9 for me, I usually leave mine
hooked to house voltage when out of the ship...never
saw anything saying that was bad.

Old January 2nd 05, 05:22 AM
Marc Ramsey

HL Falbaum wrote:
Do you know that for sure or could it be some type of non-volatile memory?
That Dittle FSG71M has a built-in Lithium battery for it's memory which is
soldered into the PC board and looks like a capacitor. Dittle recommends
changing every 5-6 years. Not a job for amateurs.

Yes, the 302 has a lithium battery to provide backup for an internal
volatile memory (I believe the flight logs are store in flash memory,
however). It can't be replaced by the owner, as it requires opening the
case, which will break the security seal. In a few years I'm sure we'll
be hearing on r.a.s. just how long this battery lasts...

Marc