kid foams hangar

Old December 11th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

Default kid foams hangar

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/off....in.hangar.cnn

-c

Old December 11th 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ManhattanMan

gatt wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/off....in.hangar.cnn

-c

Hey, ain't funny. I was aboard the USS Kearsarge back around '62 when the
same thing happened on the hanger deck of the aircraft carrier, although it
wasn't from some little kid (maybe a big kid), and it was out in the middle
of the Pacific Ocean. If I had a slide to digital converter I could show a
few nice or not so nice shots. Not a pleasant experience, and I believe
someone told me at the time it had dried animal blood as a major ingredient.
Luckily, I wasn't in the cleanup crew........

Cheers'n beers.. [_])
Don

Old December 11th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ABLE_1[_2_]

Don,

Your right. In the sixties the Navy foam was made from Animal Fat and Blood
and was mixed with water thru a foam nozzle. The raw stuff had an AROMA.
Don't know is that mix is still used today. Maybe someone else will know.

Les
USS Providence CLG-6

Old December 11th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

"ABLE_1" wrote in message

Hey, ain't funny. I was aboard the USS Kearsarge back around '62 when
the same thing happened on the hanger deck of the aircraft carrier

A close relative just completed a tour aboard the Oak Hill, which was
supporting Kearsarge in the Gulf earlier this year.

Recent sea story: (As always, take it for what it's worth, but two separate
people told me about it.) Earlier this year they responded to a freighter
hijacking and found out that the pirates had killed the crew. The Marines
of the MEU in the fleet were bored off their ass an itching for a fight and
then somebody told them "The Navy is handling it."

That didn't go over well at all until a helicopter filled with SEALs landed
on one of the ships at which point Jeremy said the Marines pretty much stood
down. The SEALs prepped for a full assault of the ship and launched in
zodiac(s). The hijackers holed up inside the hull and prepared for a
gunbattle...remember, all the crew had been murdered...and the SEALs drew up
alongside, planted some charges around the hull, withdrew and sank the whole
damn thing where it sat.

The other fellow--a maintenance type aboard a minesweeper in the same
fleet--just grinned and nodded his head. As a sailor apparently he's not
allowed to talk about that sort of thing, but basically alluded to the idea
that you don't hear a fraction of what they're doing out there with regard
to Somali pirates; only the cases where the media finds out. In those
cases, the Navy has to keep mum and play nice.

The ol' Kearsarge is still out there getting some!

-c

Old December 11th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

gatt wrote:
[...]

I found it interesting how much maritime piracy occurs and how little we hear
about it.
I only started looking at it when some friends got "mugged" aboard their
sailboat in the Carribean.
Some of these cats, particularly in Indonesian and some African coastal
waters, are pretty desperate and murder of entire crews is on the rise.
"The Outlaw Sea" was a pretty good read on the matter.

Old December 11th 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ManhattanMan

gatt wrote:

The ol' Kearsarge is still out there getting some!

Yep, the Kearsarge name is still cookin! Started with a wooden side
warship, later a WWII version of a CVA carrier (aviation attack), later
demoted to CVS (anti-sub), and that's what I was on. CVS-33, same as the
Yorktown, Lexington, etc., and was turned into Toyota's at least 20 years
ago. The 'new' Kearsarge, LHD-3, is a amphibious assault ship. My version
ended up with the nickname "The can opener", after it rammed a destroyer in
San Francisco bay fog, then another incident I think around Long Beach, and
while I was aboard, a DE approached us to come along side for fuel, got
caught in a big swell (or something???), and side swiped the carrier. It
chipped our paint, but the side of the DE was totally caved in, seriously
injuring about three crewmembers. I was standing on the flight deck
watching, and couldn't believe what I was seeing!! Also was aboard in '62
when we picked up Wally Shirra, then '63 for Gordon Cooper - and the
memories - priceless!!

Old December 11th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ABLE_1[_2_]

Hi ManhattanMan,

Yea the ship name thing is kinda warped from my view point. Some pencil
pusher at SecNav seems to have too much time on there hands. My ship the
USS Providence CLG-6 was a Light Guided Missle Cruiser and carried the Flag
for 1st and 7th Fleet in the 60's. We went where the Admiral wanted and
when he wanted.

Now since she has been de-commissinoned and is in mothballs or Toyota's (not
sure which at this time) they have given the name to a Submarine. Now that
really hurts this ol' salt.

But time marches on and I will get over
it..................................some day. :-)

Les

Old December 11th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"gatt" wrote

The ol' Kearsarge is still out there getting some!

That would correctly be, "the *new* Kearsarge is out there getting some."

The Kearsarge that was referenced earlier in the thread was scrapped in '74,
after construction as a Ticonderoga carrier in 46. The new Kearsarge was
commissioned in 93, I think I read, and carries helicopters, Harriers, and
Osprey, along with conventional landing craft, and hovercraft, and is
typically part of a Marine expeditionary force.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 11th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

"Kloudy via AviationKB.com" u33403@uwe wrote in message
gatt wrote:
[...]

A friend was telling me about a friend of his who does a lot fishing in
panama there ship is fully alarmed if any one or anything touches the deck
why they sleep. Its bullet proof and has a holes for m16's. So if pirates
jump aboard there dead.

Old December 12th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

I only started looking at it when some friends got "mugged" aboard their
sailboat in the Carribean.

Whoa. They made it out alright, I hope.

Some of these cats, particularly in Indonesian and some African coastal
waters, are pretty desperate and murder of entire crews is on the rise.

Fortunately it sounds like the SEALS have a solution for that, but there are
of course environmental concerns with sinking a tanker loaded with bunker
fuel and, say, benzene.... which might be why don't hear about it so much
in the news.

-c

Anyone Been to the Hangar Hotel? Jay Honeck Piloting 20 February 15th 06 05:41 AM
t-hangar and ice Bob Noel Owning 13 October 19th 04 09:59 PM
Hangar at FFZ [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 1 August 18th 04 09:40 PM
FFZ Hangar [email protected] Aerobatics 0 August 16th 04 12:55 AM
Air compressor for hangar Martin Kosina Owning 9 November 13th 03 04:36 AM