Least Expensive Plane To Buy and Own

Old August 27th 07, 09:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Thomas Borchert

Default Least Expensive Plane To Buy and Own

Paul,

Not all flying clubs
are douchebags about minimum flying hours per day.

That's why I said "most". Consider yourself lucky.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 27th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Aug 26, 3:56 am, Thomas Borchert
wrote:
, but the Cessna 150's have been holding their resale
value rock solid even throughout the used plane market slump over the
past year or so...

Doesn't that contradict the "cheap to buy" requirement?

No, not necessarily, because while the 150s have been holding their
value, the price range for good specimens has been holding steady in
the upper teens to low twenties, with the finer specimens in the mod
twenties which in my book still falls in the "cheap to buy" category.

The better quality Cherokee 140s used to be mid-upper thirties, even
into the low forties for finer specimens and now those same calibre
aircraft are being sold in the upper twenties to mid thirties just to
get them moving on market.

I think the Cherokee is definitely the plane-per-dollar value leader
right now, but if you do not really need the four seats, faster cruise
and extra fuel burn, the Cessna 150 will get you into the air, and
keep you there for the overall long term, for less overall money spent
across.... for say 5 years or thereabouts of ownership or even longer
terms.

Old August 27th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
xyzzy

On Aug 26, 8:48 am, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
In a previous article, said:

Whenever your requirements include longer trips with little flying time
(e.g. fly to a nice place an hour or two away, stay for three or four
days and fly back), both rentals and most flying clubs aren't an option.

Flying clubs are. I regularly fly a club plane to Ottawa (1.75 hours
flight time) and then stay for two or three days. I've flown to Oshkosh
(4.5 hours flight time) and let it sit for 8 days. Not all flying clubs
are douchebags about minimum flying hours per day.

That's my club experience too. We are pretty flexible, with a minimum
usage charge of 1 hour per day. Scheduling rules are flexible enough
that I don't think anyone has failed to take a trip because of them
(now, failing to take a trip because there is no plane available,
that's a different story -- that's the rub of the tradeoff between
renting and owning).

But in reference to Thomas' rebuttal, we have 8 planes in our fleet
and about 150 flying members.

Old August 28th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
EridanMan

What is the deal with emphasizing so much? It is really annoying and
doesn't add anything to your message.

One of those gremlins of a bad habit that shows up when I don't
sufficiently self-censor myself. I apologize, and thank you for
calling me on it.

-Scott