solo x/c for commercial

Old May 26th 05, 07:12 PM
Andrew Gideon

John Gaquin wrote:

sometimes heading over here or there if it looked interesting, then
pick up the chart,

Didn't some guy (and a student pilot/passenger) recently do something of
this sort out of Smoketown, PA?

- Andrew

Old May 27th 05, 06:15 AM
John Gaquin

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message

Didn't some guy (and a student pilot/passenger) recently do something of
this sort out of Smoketown, PA?

Not at all. He was using charts, but outdated, and thus (huh?) was unable
to recognize an urban area that comprises the most publicized restricted
area in the world. Can you spell "room temp IQ"?

Old May 27th 05, 05:43 PM
Montblack

("John Gaquin" wrote)
Not at all. He was using charts, but outdated, and thus (huh?) was unable
to recognize an urban area that comprises the most publicized restricted
area in the world. Can you spell "room temp IQ"?

Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Montblack

Old June 7th 05, 07:38 AM
Hilton

Dave,

Sorry for the delay - been outa town a bit.

[zap]

Note: I'm speaking from memory and my experience with Angel Flight West.

Now, I will think about joining Angel Flight. It looks like I've got
the hours they're looking for. What are their restrictions w.r.t using
rental A/C?

None.

Also, I don't have my own insurance, I rely on my club's
policy. (Of which members are named insured, so I can't be subrogated.)
How does that fly, so to speak?

I don't know. I believe you need to have your own insurance, but I guess if
you can prove that the insurance if current (do you check before each
flight) and that you are named, it might fly. Check with them though.

I think doing Angel flight really would be cool, though.

It is. BTW: If looks like a LOT of work, but it isn't. You see a 'mission'
on their web site. You call: "Hi Amanda, I'd like Mission 12345", "Sure!".
You get a fax, you call the people and say: "Hi, I'm Dave from Angel Flight,
let's meet on Saturday at Charlie's FBO at 1pm, work for you?" You pick 'em
up, have them sign a form, and off you go. Easy!

Video:
http://www.angelflight.org/press/index.html

Hilton

Old June 7th 05, 09:24 AM
Marty Shapiro

"Hilton" wrote in
k.net:

[snip]

Also, I don't have my own insurance, I rely on my club's
policy. (Of which members are named insured, so I can't be
subrogated.) How does that fly, so to speak?

I don't know. I believe you need to have your own insurance, but I
guess if you can prove that the insurance if current (do you check
before each flight) and that you are named, it might fly. Check with
them though.

No, you do not need your own insurance. You do need to supply proof of
insurance. I've used rental aircraft from two different FBO's at Reid-
Hillview and both met the insurance requirements. If other members of your
flying club or FBO are already Angel Flight members, you just have to let
the AF office know that the insurance is already on file.

From the Angel Flight West web pages (www.angelflight.org):

"The pilot applicant must provide proof of insurance of at least $500,000
liability coverage with a minimum limit of $100,000 per seat.Copy of
certificate of insurance on the pilot applicant’s own aircraft or “renter’s
insurance” if the pilot applicant is renting aircraft. If the pilot
applicant belongs to a flying club, he/she must supply a copy of the
insurance in force for the aircraft you are qualified to fly. Flying club
members are also subject to the minimum insurance requirements."

[snip]

-----
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old June 7th 05, 09:45 AM
Hilton

Hey Marty,

No, you do not need your own insurance. You do need to supply proof of
insurance.

[zap]

I stand corrected - thanks. Still, I would strongly recommend that pilots
don't rely on not being subrogated and go get their own insurance. So why
do AFW require any insurance at all?

1. The passenger signs away on the form, and
2. Their is no guarantee that the club's or your insurance will be
'current'

Just thinking out aloud.

Hilton

Old June 7th 05, 10:41 AM
Marty Shapiro

"Hilton" wrote in
k.net:

Hey Marty,

No, you do not need your own insurance. You do need to supply proof
of insurance.

[zap]

I stand corrected - thanks. Still, I would strongly recommend that
pilots don't rely on not being subrogated and go get their own
insurance.

ALWAYS CHECK THE POLICY! Look for a subrogation/no subrogation
clause. If there is no subrogation clause (or if your state bars
subrogation) duplicating the coverage won't buy you anything you don't
already have. One large flying club in the SF Bay area states "no
subrogation clause" on their web site.

So why do AFW require any insurance at all?

1. The passenger signs away on the form, and

I've been told that some courts have ruled you can sue even if you
have waived the right to do so. Hopefully a lawyer reading this can
provide more information.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old June 7th 05, 11:55 AM
Peter Clark

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 09:41:32 GMT, Marty Shapiro
wrote:

1. The passenger signs away on the form, and

I've been told that some courts have ruled you can sue even if you
have waived the right to do so. Hopefully a lawyer reading this can
provide more information.

From what I remember, you can sign away *your* right to do something
(so if the pax gets hurt they can't sue), but you can't sign away
someone *else's* right to do something, so if they're killed the
family can still sue, regardless of the form.

Old June 7th 05, 12:56 PM
Gary Drescher

"Hilton" wrote in message
k.net...
It is. BTW: If looks like a LOT of work, but it isn't. You see a
'mission'
on their web site. You call: "Hi Amanda, I'd like Mission 12345",
"Sure!".
You get a fax, you call the people and say: "Hi, I'm Dave from Angel
Flight,
let's meet on Saturday at Charlie's FBO at 1pm, work for you?" You pick
'em
up, have them sign a form, and off you go. Easy!

These days the technology has advanced a little, making it even easier (at
least here on the East coast). You just request the mission using the web
form (no phone call is needed, though you can do it that way if you prefer),
and the reply is via email rather than fax.

--Gary

Old June 7th 05, 12:59 PM
Gary Drescher

"Marty Shapiro" wrote in message
"Hilton" wrote in
k.net:

Hey Marty,

No, you do not need your own insurance. You do need to supply proof
of insurance.

[zap]

I stand corrected - thanks. Still, I would strongly recommend that
pilots don't rely on not being subrogated and go get their own
insurance.

ALWAYS CHECK THE POLICY! Look for a subrogation/no subrogation
clause. If there is no subrogation clause (or if your state bars
subrogation) duplicating the coverage won't buy you anything you don't
already have. One large flying club in the SF Bay area states "no
subrogation clause" on their web site.

My FBO's web site refers to pilots as "additional insured", which is the
same thing. (I carry renter's insurance anyway though, in case I'm traveling
and rent from a remote FBO).

--Gary

Frst Solo, Non-stop Round the World Airplane Flight Larry Dighera Piloting 7 March 4th 05 03:51 PM
1.4 solo.. Beav Rotorcraft 0 November 5th 04 12:27 AM
SOLO flight rules Gig Giacona Rotorcraft 60 January 25th 04 06:36 PM
Catastrophic Decompression; Small Place Solo Aviation Piloting 193 January 13th 04 08:52 PM