LS3a oxygen cylinder specification

Old December 3rd 19, 11:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ian

Default LS3a oxygen cylinder specification

I am trying to get my oxygen cylinder inspected for refilling. It is due
for a hydro test and inspection. However there has been a shake up of
cylinder inspections in the local dive industry and as a result the
inspector is checking all the paperwork very thoroughly. Unfortunately
he cannot identify the manufacture specification from the markings on
the cylinder, which is a bit of an issue.

The cylinder was supplied by Rolladen Schneider, with my LS3a, when it
was delivered new. It is a steel 4l cylinder, manufactured in Germany in
1979 that fits exactly into the molded O2 cylinder recess in the glider.
Does anybody know what the applicable manufacturing specification would
been at that time?

Thanks

Ian

Old December 3rd 19, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 2:33:48 AM UTC-8, ian wrote:
I am trying to get my oxygen cylinder inspected for refilling. It is due
for a hydro test and inspection. However there has been a shake up of
cylinder inspections in the local dive industry and as a result the
inspector is checking all the paperwork very thoroughly. Unfortunately
he cannot identify the manufacture specification from the markings on
the cylinder, which is a bit of an issue.

The cylinder was supplied by Rolladen Schneider, with my LS3a, when it
was delivered new. It is a steel 4l cylinder, manufactured in Germany in
1979 that fits exactly into the molded O2 cylinder recess in the glider.
Does anybody know what the applicable manufacturing specification would
been at that time?

Thanks

Ian

Ian, perhaps this document is useful.
Jim

https://www.eiga.eu/publications/eig...-on-cylinders/
Old December 4th 19, 06:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ian

On 12/3/19 6:44 PM, JS wrote:
[...]

Thanks that looks very interesting, I am sure we can tie my cylinder
back to an original inspection. Also a lot of other information on that
site, including lists of known defective cylinders (I don't believe mine
is on that list).

Any idea what the actual manufacturing spec would have been applicable
in Germany in the late 1970's?

Ian
Old December 4th 19, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Interesting document on pressure tank markings. Is there a US version of this somewhere?

Thanks, John
Old December 4th 19, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at 7:55:41 AM UTC-8, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
Interesting document on pressure tank markings. Is there a US version of this somewhere?

Thanks, John

Of course I can't find a document I've had for years, a simple explanation of cylinder markings!

Here's a course from Los Alamos National Lab.

https://permalink.lanl.gov/object/tr...LA-UR-13-28838

And cylinder manufacturer markings.

http://www.ctcseminars.com/files/tec...GRLIST2017.pdf

Jim
Old December 6th 19, 11:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ian

On 12/3/19 6:44 PM, JS wrote:
[...]

That was useful but still not enough for the inspector. They could
identify the inspectorate stamping. But the need to identify the
manufacturer as well as the standard that it was made to.

Any suggestions on interpreting the manufacturer's markings as well the
applicable standard?

Thanks

Ian

Old December 6th 19, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Why go through all of the bureaucratic BS? If a dive shop has to comply with excessive inspection protocols, take the cylinder to a hydrotest facility that deals with welding cylinders. I have been getting cylinders tested through Argyle Welding (company has been bought by Praxair https://www.praxair.com/). Cost is about $35 and it generally takes a week or so.

Old December 6th 19, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ian

On 12/6/19 2:58 PM, wrote:
Why go through all of the bureaucratic BS? If a dive shop has to comply with excessive inspection protocols, take the cylinder to a hydrotest facility that deals with welding cylinders. I have been getting cylinders tested through Argyle Welding (company has been bought by Praxair
https://www.praxair.com/). Cost is about $35 and it generally takes a week or so.

The inspectors main line of business is fire extinguishes. There is a
big issue with local legislation regarding pressure vessels. They have
to be tested and certified before they can be filled. Inspection fee is
only bout $7 but he won't do it if the certification standard is not
stamped on the bottle.

Then I have another issue, the local dive shop says they wont fill steel
cylinders over 30 years old, but that is just their policy, it is no
longer part of legislation. But there are others who might ...

Old December 6th 19, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If it was any cylinder except the steel one you have, I would just say bite the bullet and replace it with a new aluminum cylinder. Unfortunately, the receptacle in the LS-3 ONLY accepts that particular size, and they are difficult to find. The aluminum equivalent is too large in diameter to fit in the mount socket, and modifying the 'glass is a difficult job that brings its own problems with getting approval for the change. Where are you located? I might be able to direct you to a hydrotest facility that won't make you jump through flaming hoops. (Never a good idea with an O2 cylinder :-)