Reminder - Washington DC Area FIRC will be held January 19 and 19, 2020

Old December 4th 19, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcg8w%[email protected]

Default Reminder - Washington DC Area FIRC will be held January 19 and 19, 2020

Reminder - The Washington DC Area FIRC is just over 1 month Away -- See Below
Don't forget to sign up before the holidays....

The Soaring Safety Foundation will present a Flight Instructor Refresher Course in the Washington D.C. area on January 18 and 19, 2020. The course will be presented by Rich Carlson of the SSF and other speakers. The course will cost $150 which goes to the SSF to support future courses and other activities.

The course will run from 8 AM – 5:30 PM on Saturday, Jan 18 and from 8 AM - 5 PM on Sunday, Jan 19. At the end of the course, your instructor's certificate will be re-validated on site without your having to go to a FSDO. The course is valid for renewal of multiple types of instructor certificates -- glider, airplane and helicopter. All interested pilots are welcome, the course is not only for instructors. The information presented will be very useful to those working toward a CFI certificate and/or pilots with private or commercial certificates. The SSF courses have been enhanced recently with more scenario based learning and discussions.

Location

The course will be held at the Heritage Hunt Community in Gainesville, Virginia. This is a nice and comfortable site which provides parking and snacks. There are nearby places for lunch. The sessions will be held in the Marsh Mansion: the address is 13451 Fieldstone Way, Gainesville, Virginia 2015

Lodging

If you need lodging, there is a Hampton Inn in Gainesville very close to the Heritage Hunt Community. Their phone is – 703-753-1500. Full contact information is -- Hampton Inn, Gainesville-Haymarket, 7300 Atlas Walk Way, Gainesville, Virginia, USA 20155. Their website is --

http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/h... hocn=WASGVHX

Registration

You may register and get information online at the SSF website at the following URL --

http://www.soaringsafety.org/outreach/FIRC.html

If you plan on attending, please do register on the SSF website, but please also respond to - James C. Garrison, SSA Director, Regions 2 & 4 to register. Respond by email to -- jcg8w at virginia dot edu

We need to keep a list of participants to make all the final arrangements. Thank you in advance for your participation. We look forward to seeing you next January.
Old December 4th 19, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at 10:41:09 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Is there a way to bypass the FAA requirement that a FIRC be attended within the 3 months (IIRC) preceding the CFI expiration date? One "should" be able to do the FIRC at any time and have the CFI certificate renewed for 2 years starting at that time, like a BFR. Or is that already the case, and the 3 months thing is just if one wants to retain the same expiration month?

Old December 4th 19, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

No. If you go past your expiration date on your cfig. It will require a retest or practical with a DPE or FAA rep.

CH (just finished my FIRC online) I use ACEcfi one time charge of iirc $99.00 free renewals for life.
Old December 4th 19, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at 4:28:18 PM UTC-5, wrote:
No. If you go past your expiration date on your cfig. It will require a retest or practical with a DPE or FAA rep.

CH (just finished my FIRC online) I use ACEcfi one time charge of iirc $99.00 free renewals for life.

My question is about doing a FIRC early, not late. Many months before the expiration date.

BTW I too used ACEcfi, twice now. Did the job, and I could choose the time, but was a pretty boring 2 days that could have been better used in a soaring-oriented FIRC.
Old December 4th 19, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at 2:46:39 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at 4:28:18 PM UTC-5, wrote:

My question is about doing a FIRC early, not late. Many months before the expiration date.

There are circumstance that allow this, but only up to about 3 months prior to expiration. Advisory Circular 61-65H discusses this in section 30.2.
Old December 5th 19, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at 5:39:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at 2:46:39 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at 4:28:18 PM UTC-5, wrote:

My question is about doing a FIRC early, not late. Many months before the expiration date.

There are circumstance that allow this, but only up to about 3 months prior to expiration. Advisory Circular 61-65H discusses this in section 30.2.

Yup, but am I stuck with the time of year that I happened to first get the CFI, or can I shift it to some otherwise desirable soaring-relevant FIRC? This rather long-winded section from that AC seems to say it CAN be done early - but will be good for 24 months from that time. Same as an early BFR (or added rating) resets the BFR calendar.

"30.2.1 Renewal Outside of the 3 Calendar-Month Period. If the flight instructor certification renewal action occurs outside the 3 calendar-month period of the expiration month on the flight instructor certificate, the renewed flight instructor certificate will be valid for 24 calendar-months from the month the renewal requirements of § 61.197 were accomplished. The applicant must present a FIRC graduation certificate to a FSDO within 3 calendar-months of completion of the FIRC. The renewal action of § 61.197(a) must be accomplished before the expiration date shown on the applicant’s flight instructor certificate. If the applicant completes a FIRC more than 3 calendar-months prior to the expiration month of the current flight instructor certificate, the expiration date will be 24 calendar-months after the month the FAA Form 8710-1 application is submitted to the FAA, provided the application is submitted within 3 calendar-months of completion of the FIRC."

- so theoretically one could do a FIRC up to almost 6 months before the CFI expiration, submit it 3 months later - within 3 months of the expiration - and retain the original expiration month, albeit that "submission" may be difficult (travel to a FSDO?). Or one can do it any time, but lose part of the original 2 years. Is that correct?
Old December 5th 19, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at 3:48:30 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

No.
If you complete the FIRC on Jan 5, then you can wait until Apr 4 (not 5!!) to present the certificate to the FSDO. At that time your CFI will be current until Apr 30 2 years later.

Today, the SSF folks can do this for you at the end of the FIRC so you don't need to go to the FSDO.

Many years ago, I lost track of the drop dead date and remembered while driving to work on the last possible day. Had to go home to get the certificate then drive a fairly long distance to get to the FSDO. The inspector pulled out a calendar and we both counted the days to confirm that I made it by an hour or so - since I got there just before closing.

I also highly recommend the SSF FIRC over any other options, especially if you are a CFIG only.

Tom
Old December 6th 19, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Suter

Two years ago I did an online FIRC during the Christmas Holidays and retained my February expiration date on the new CFi-G certificate.

Larry
Old December 6th 19, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, December 6, 2019 at 12:11:23 AM UTC-5, Larry Suter wrote:
Two years ago I did an online FIRC during the Christmas Holidays and retained my February expiration date on the new CFi-G certificate.

Larry

Larry: that's because it was within the 3-month window prior to the expiration date. I was asking what happens if you do it BEFORE that window.
Old December 6th 19, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, December 6, 2019 at 12:44:33 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, December 6, 2019 at 12:11:23 AM UTC-5, Larry Suter wrote:
Two years ago I did an online FIRC during the Christmas Holidays and retained my February expiration date on the new CFi-G certificate.

Larry

Larry: that's because it was within the 3-month window prior to the expiration date. I was asking what happens if you do it BEFORE that window.

Moshe unless it changed recently you can renew your CFI at any time during the 2 years, but as pointed out if it is earlier than 3 months prior to expiration you get 2 years from the month of renewal. Before the 3 month window was created and online FIRCS CFIs often renewed early and sucked up the lost months simply due to scheduling a live FIRC before expiration.