On flying schools in the US

Old May 4th 06, 06:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default On flying schools in the US

I hear that the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (India)
recognizes flight training and pilot licenses only if they're issued by
FAA-approved schools.

Can there then be flying schools in the US that aren't approved by the
FAA??

Ramapriya

Old May 4th 06, 07:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
oups.com...
I hear that the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (India)
recognizes flight training and pilot licenses only if they're issued by
FAA-approved schools.

Can there then be flying schools in the US that aren't approved by the
FAA??

I guess that depends on the definition of "FAA-approved schools". In the
US, a student pilot may be taught by an independent instructor, using their
own airplane or the instructors. The instructor is certainly
"FAA-approved", but depending on what the Indian rule really means, may not
qualify the student for an automatic license.

To further complicate matters, there are two FAR Parts under which training
may occur: Part 61, and Part 141.

Part 61 is the "normal" Part...it describes how training would be done by
the afore-mentioned hypothetical student and instructor, and the same rules
are often used by FBOs with an instruction operation, or even full-blown
"schools". Part 141 is for a particular kind of "approved" school, and it
allows a student to (in theory) complete the training a little more quickly,
by requiring the school to adhere to somewhat more strict requirements about
how the training is to be accomplished.

It's possible that the Indian rule applies *only* to these Part 141 schools.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that an FBO teaching under the Part 61
rules wouldn't need any specific FAA approval beyond what would normally be
required by an instructor, and to rent out airplanes to students. That is,
the "school" part wouldn't be specifically approved by the FAA in that case
either. (The "school" in that case might also have other FAA approvals,
such as Part 135 required for operating charter flights, but those wouldn't
be relevant to the training operations at the "school").

I know, I probably made all of the above clear as mud. Try this...there are
at least three different ways to be trained in the US:

* Freelance instructor
* Through an FBO/school under Part 61
* Through an FBO/school under Part 141

The answer to your question depends on how India is defining "school" for
the purpose of that regulation. It may be that only some, or all, of the
above may qualify, depending on that definition.

Pete

Old May 4th 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Thanks for your time, Peter. I'll check if the DGCA has any
clarifications on what an FAA-approved school is.

Ramapriya

Peter Duniho wrote:
oups.com...

Old May 4th 06, 08:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

All instructors, holding a CFI, are certified by the FAA.
But not all schools have been approved by the FAA. FAA
Approved schools meet the standards in FAR 141 and 142.
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...a_regulations/

Much of the approval process involves record keeping
methods, classroom space and even the number of toilets.

FAR 141 approved schools can offer reductions in required
hours because of the controlled syllabus, this is most
important as a cost and time saving for the commercial
pilot. The practical test is the same whether an applicant
is from a Part 141 school or was trained under FAR 61. Visa
requirements will probably require attendance at a 141
school.

Once licensed, all governments are required to recognize the
certificate. If you get a pilot certificate in the USA and
then plan to get a certificate in your native country, they
might accept the training record from an approved school.
You'll need to ask your Indian offices.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

oups.com...

Old May 4th 06, 10:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

As a practical matter, most foreign students are going to opt for an
FAA-approved school anyhow, because they tend to be located in places
(Florida, Arizona) most congenial for full-time teaching, especially
in the winter.

Choose your state (I would favor Arizona, but only from November to
April -- someone from the subcontinent might be more tolerant of the
heat) and look at the advertisements in AOPA Pilot, and you'll soon
narrow it down.

As a technical matter, the pilot certificate (it's not called a
license, because in itself it's not sufficient authority for the
individual to pilot an aircraft) is issued by the FAA after a written
test and a practical flight and oral examination with an approved
examiner. This is what makes it possible to take training on a local
basis from an individual instructor (CFI).

Good luck!

- all the best, Dan Ford

Wikipedia: the belief that 10,000 monkeys playing at
10,000 keyboards can create a reference work