SN-10b EW flight recorder/PDA combination

Old November 17th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Archer

Default SN-10b EW flight recorder/PDA combination

Is anyone driving their SN-10b with an EW flight recorder? I'd like to go
with this combination, and possibly add a PDA as well.

I think I want it because it allows me to not bring a laptop to the
airport, I have a partner and we can each have our own SD card and don't
have to hassle with downloading every flight immediately thereafter, and
it is IGC approved, we want that.

If so, will the EW talk to the SN-10 and how well (load tasks, waypoints,
pilot info, etc.)? Do I need special cables to connect it? And I assume
it will run StrePla (the software it comes with) on a PDA simultaneously
with the SN-10?

I guess the question is... is it worth going with EW instead of
Volkslogger because of the downloading and size convenience it will
provide for a glider with two owners?

Thanks
Old November 17th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Nov 17, 12:15*pm, Jim Archer wrote:
Is anyone driving their SN-10b with an EW flight recorder? *I'd like to go
with this combination, and possibly add a PDA as well.

I think I want it because it allows me to not bring a laptop to the
airport, I have a partner and we can each have our own SD card and don't
have to hassle with downloading every flight immediately thereafter, and
it is IGC approved, we want that.

If so, will the EW talk to the SN-10 and how well (load tasks, waypoints,
pilot info, etc.)? *Do I need special cables to connect it? *And I assume
it will run StrePla (the software it comes with) on a PDA simultaneously
with the SN-10?

I guess the question is... is it worth going with EW instead of
Volkslogger because of the downloading and size convenience it will
provide for a glider with two owners?

Thanks

It should work fine, with the advantage (as you stated) that you can
download the flight immediately from the EW via the SD card.

As far as talking to the SN-10, the only way to do that is to use a
notebook or setup your PDA to run a DOS emulator - that allows you to
communicate with the SN10 and upload waypoints and download log
files. This is described on Paul Remde's website pretty well (and he
- or Craggy - probably have all the cables you need).

Not sure if the SN10 can send a declaration to the EW like it can to
the VL, but your PDA software can probably do that easier.

Good luck!

Kirk
66

Old November 17th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Jim -

I can't speak to the SN-10 directly; but usually GPS systems or flight
recorders can only "talk" to one other device at a time - so
"splitting" the serial-cable signal to both a PDA and another device
is a little tricky. There are splitter/duplex units that can achieve
this, though. Paul at Cumulus certainly seems to be "the man" when it
comes to all those cables and adapters and such.

Regarding the EW MicroRecorder vs. the Volkslogger: there's just no
argument here. The EW is easier to use and more capable in every way.

In terms of flight declarations and such, the EW MicroRecorder has the
capacity for setting a declaration (via a text file that you copy to
the device or the SD Card before your flight). There are provisions
for some fight declaration changes or updates via the serial cable in-
flight; but right now there are relatively few flight computers or PDA
programs that support this. Here's the thing to remember: The EW
unit is a _logger_ first and foremost. It is not a moving map or a
flight computer; calculating times and distances (and other such
strategery) is what your SN-10 or PDA is for.

Take care,

--Noel
(an avid EW MicroRecorder user)

Old November 17th 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum[_2_]

"noel.wade" wrote in message
[...]

I have a SN10b and EW Microrecorder GPS/Logger---It works fine on Goddard
cables from Paul Remde.
I can declare tasks (on the ground) to the EW via a Goddard cable to a iPAQ
3955/ Connect Me. I insert the task separately to the SN10b. It would be
nice to send the task to the EW via the SN10b but I don't think that is
possible at this time.

I use a Cambridge M20 GPS/NAV ----Compaq 1550/ Glide nav II as a separate
system. I already had all the equipment.

This setup works well and give two fully redundant systems.

For contest flying, I insert the task into the SN10b and the M20. For a
badge or record flight I declare the task to the M20 via the 1550, use a
3955 and declare the task to the EW, then unplug the 3955 from the EW, plug
the SN10b in to the EW, insert the task to the SN10b and I'm all set! Sounds
more complicated than it is, actually.

I like having a moving map with a bit more detail than the SN10, but in
truth, the SN10 works just fine alone.

Hartley Falbaum

Old November 18th 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Jim,

Please see my notes below.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Jim Archer" wrote in message
Is anyone driving their SN-10b with an EW flight recorder? I'd like to go
with this combination, and possibly add a PDA as well.

- That sounds like a very good combination to me. I believe Larry Goddard
and I have created wiring harnesses for customers with that combination. If
we haven't done it, we have made similar cables for use with Cambridge 302
units and Volkslogger, Colibris, etc. The EW can send data to beth the
SN10b and the PDA. The data can either be split or the data can go through
the SN10b and then on to the PDA so that the SN10b can add wind and vario
data to the GPS data. The wiring harness includes a "PDA Input" switch
which allows either connection. In flight most pilots would have the PDA
receive data through the SN10. For sending task declarations to the EW from
the PDA you would want the PDA to receive data directly from the EW.

- It is possible for the PDA to send task declarations to the EW if your
soaring software supports that. However, it is not possible for the SN10 to
send a task declaration to the EW.

- Since the EW microRecorder has a built-in 12V to 5V power converter, it
can provide the 5V power for the PDA. However, the SN10 doesn't provide
enough current to power the EW and a PDA, so separate 12V power leads would
be come out of the wiring harness for powering the EW.

I think I want it because it allows me to not bring a laptop to the
airport, I have a partner and we can each have our own SD card and don't
have to hassle with downloading every flight immediately thereafter, and
it is IGC approved, we want that.

If so, will the EW talk to the SN-10 and how well (load tasks, waypoints,
pilot info, etc.)? Do I need special cables to connect it? And I assume
it will run StrePla (the software it comes with) on a PDA simultaneously
with the SN-10?

- The EW doesn't support multiple tasks or waypoints, but it does store a
single task declaration. A PDA would be required to send a task declaration
to the EW.

- I'm not sure I understand your statement that StrePla comes with it.
StrePla comes with what? pocket*StrePla can probably send a task
declaration to the EW, but I haven't tested that myself. I have tested and
verified that SeeYou Mobile and ConnectMe can both send task declarations to
the EW microRecorder.

- Interestingly, the EW microRecorder does not provide a way to download a
flight log through the serial port. That must be done using the built-in SD
card (which is extremely convenient) or using a PC and USB connection.

I guess the question is... is it worth going with EW instead of
Volkslogger because of the downloading and size convenience it will
provide for a glider with two owners?

- In my opinion, the only advantage to the Volkslogger is that the SN10 can
send a task declaration to it. The SN10 can't do that with a microRecorder.
But I don't think that is a huge deciding point. Actually, I don't think
new Volksloggers are available anymore, but used ones are probably easy to
find. I would choose the EW over the VL myself for many reasons.

Thanks

Old November 18th 08, 12:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Archer

Thanks guys, that is what I needed.

Paul, glider gets updated in January, I'll contact you then. My mistake
about StrePla, not sure where I got that.

In flight recorder Lou Piloting 23 March 24th 07 12:45 AM
EW B-Model flight recorder BDS Soaring 12 August 19th 06 04:39 PM
FS: CAI 302 Variometer and Secure Flight Recorder Fred Mueller Soaring 1 September 12th 04 11:49 AM
US: Flight Recorder Alert Judy Ruprecht Soaring 8 July 19th 04 09:04 PM
who does Flight Recorder calibration... ken ward Soaring 4 March 5th 04 02:28 AM