Media screws up again...

Old June 11th 04, 08:53 PM
gatt

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message

Everybody trash talks journalists for not knowing as much as they do

about
whatever field of expertise they are in. See my point? Yet they

still
read the papers, still watch the news...

Yeah, but I read the papers and watch the news with the knowledge the
reporter probably got it wrong.

So why do you watch, then? Start your own news agency or simply don't
read/watch the news.

Lousy pilots weed themselves out eventually. Lousy reporters keep on
reporting.

And yet you keep on reading it.

-c

Old June 11th 04, 08:54 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"gatt" wrote in message

On 9/11, when you first heard about what was going on, what did you do?

If
you flipped on a news station (TV or radio) and it wasn't telling you what
was happening, you likely flipped the channel.

I watched the live video and ignored the opinions of the reporter.

Old June 11th 04, 08:56 PM
gatt

And that's why so many say the "news" and "entertainment" are so close as
be indistinguishable. See Michael Moore for a example.

If you cannot distinguish between Michael Moore and the news media you're
probably not qualified to comment on matters of media.

-c

Old June 11th 04, 08:56 PM
gatt

"Rich Ahrens" wrote in message news:40c92772$0$78545

Or pretty much anything on Fox...

"Faux". Engages in deliberate inaccuracy.

Old June 11th 04, 08:56 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"gatt" wrote in message

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message news:tr5yc.40

Turnaround from an
actual news event to press, or air time, is measured in minutes.

So, their own self-imposed restriction is a child's excuse for

inaccuracy?

And they wonder why their market is crashing.

CNN's market is crashing?

Have you watched the news lately?

Ummm...and their market share has been doing...what lately?

Old June 11th 04, 08:57 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"gatt" wrote in message

I have a degree in journalism, I have worked in the journalism industry in
both civilian life and in the military, and I am also a pilot. I -am-
qualified to discuss these issues and I have no reason to accept personal
insults from somebody who has lesser experience.

If you have a degree in journalism you are obviously biased.

Old June 11th 04, 08:58 PM
gatt

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message news:NJcyc.438

I really doubt that it's ever been different. As William Randolph Hearst
told one of his photographers over a hundred years ago, "You supply the
pictures, I'll supply the war".

Hearst was the entire newspaper industry?

Hearst was a newspaper icon. Bill Gates wasn't the entire software
industry, but he's more qualified to comment on the workings of the software
industry then, say, a pilot.

-c

Old June 11th 04, 09:02 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"gatt" wrote in message

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message

Are their deadlines measured in hours or minutes like pressroom

reporters
are?

I've often wondered why getting the story first trumped getting the

story
right.

Capitalism, and the fact (or theory, at least) that the news source the
reports a story FIRST is the one that people follow the most.

Well, now the truth comes out.

Okay...he's a clue that supports Steven's and my contention: You don't know
dick about capitalism (which has to closely guard it's reputation...also,
what we have under the FCC is certainly not capitalism, but I'm sure you got
the opposite info in journalsim school), but you (and your cohorts) love to
shoot your mouths off.

Thanks for that; you just made our case.

But, your
question is valid. The editor exists as the moderator between the
publisher's demand for information NOW and the reporter's human capacity

report accurate information in increasingly shorter periods of time.

The publisher (and the advertisers) demand the information pronto. The
reporter has to get it all as accurately as possible, and it's the

editor's
job to fact-check EVERY story at the last minute. If he/she misses a
deadline it is likely to cost the publication money and the editor his

job.

Really? Could you name a few instances where an editor got fired for this
(other than for outright fraud...which even THAT doesn't have much impact?

--
"Real science doesn't work on consensus.
It works on contention. When a new fact

With real science, you don't need
consensus. Only facts." - Dave Hitt

Old June 11th 04, 09:03 PM
gatt

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message newsI5yc.43

Okay...here's a clue about the media:

I don't need a clue about the media from a civil engineer any more than you
need a clue about civil engineering from a journalist.

-c

Old June 11th 04, 09:03 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"gatt" wrote in message

"Rich Ahrens" wrote in message news:40c92722$0$78545

I've often wondered why getting the story first trumped getting the
story right.

Because they're rewarded by the readers/viewers for getting it first,
for one thing.

Yep. Consumer demand.

Look up the word "whore".