S80 vario decoupling

Old May 20th 19, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default S80 vario decoupling

Is there any way to "decouple" the S80? That is, get it to display one MacCready setting for speed to fly while showing another (higher) MacCready setting for required altitude to destination? I don't see a way to do it but hopefully I'm missing something.
I like the vario so much my willingness to tap around on my Oudie has diminished greatly...
Old May 20th 19, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

I use my S8 for STF and my Oudie for final glides.

Go to Settings / Hardware in the Oudie and unclick the boxes for the vario communications with the S8 and, voila, you can fly with different MC values in each instrument.

(I got the from Paul Remde.)

Lou
Old May 20th 19, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 11:22:26 AM UTC-7, MNLou wrote:
I use my S8 for STF and my Oudie for final glides.

Go to Settings / Hardware in the Oudie and unclick the boxes for the vario communications with the S8 and, voila, you can fly with different MC values in each instrument.

(I got the from Paul Remde.)

Lou

Thanks, yes that is how used to have it setup, but that requires entering waypoints and STF in each instrument as required. I've since switched it around and coupled the comms, and by doing that I don't really need to touch the Oudie all day, set it and forget it, and primarily use the S80 for any variables. The only issue then is that on final glide I need to flip the MacCready back and forth from STF to a "height check" MacCready value. With this setup any changes are done with S80 knobs or buttons, allows much less fiddling overall with computers, and almost no fiddling or tapping on the Oudie (usually just screen changes which I can do with my finger).
If we could get LXNav to develop a navbox where you could select the MacCready value for say "arrival altitude on target MacCready X", a variable MacCready setting, the vario would essentially be "uncoupled" for my needs. Maybe it is allowed for some other way and I just don't see it...
Old May 20th 19, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 12:41:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I keep the vario set on the final glide MacCready value and turn the volume down on the vario. There's not a lot of benefit, trying to follow MacCready on the final glide anyway.

YMMV,
Craig
Old May 21st 19, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 3:28:56 PM UTC-7, Craig Funston wrote:
[...]

Yes, I do the same with the volume on final, and certainly don't chase the indicator. But sometimes it is valuable, such as in the first half or so of a very long final glide, to have a conservative STF value visible to "guide" actual STF. After thinking about it some more, I realized I can just look at the required MacCready and required altitude dialog boxes on the Oudie and monitor glide as those numbers change. That way I can keep the comms coupled, get quality wind from the S80 for the calculations that use that, and keep my eyes looking out of the glider like Cochrane suggested during his webinar.
Old May 21st 19, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

In version 7 decoupled safety MC was finally added to the LX9000 series. I am not sure if it was added to the stand alone S80, but worth checking or requesting this directly from the LXNAV folks. They do listen to their customers and respond promptly.

Ramy

LXNav S80 vario decoupling [email protected] Soaring 0 May 20th 19 06:48 PM
Looking for a SB-9 Vario Karl Striedieck[_2_] Soaring 0 July 17th 15 04:25 PM
Butterfly vario side-by-side with ClearNav vario [email protected] Soaring 30 May 22nd 13 07:11 AM
LX NAV V3 Vario Richard[_9_] Soaring 3 November 1st 12 10:10 PM
WTB: 57mm Cambridge Vario/FS: 80mm Cambridge Vario ufmechanic Soaring 0 March 24th 09 06:31 PM