Today is not the day

Old June 13th 19, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Today is not the day

Well worth the 8 minutes to watch and consider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMT-...WMiQ9bbZ1H_MPY
Old June 13th 19, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 08:14:06 -0700, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

Well worth the 8 minutes to watch and consider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMT-

MhYd7Z4&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3K1gYFQt54aEft 604HNVrML3QgI5mVrpitQ5NowlUIrWMiQ9bbZ1H_MPY

Thanks for posting. Watching that and thinking about it is time well
spent.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old June 13th 19, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ripacheco1967

Very nice... reminds me of the safety tapes I used to watch when I was working on my private (single engine)
Old June 13th 19, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 8:47:35 AM UTC-7, ripacheco1967 wrote:
Very nice... reminds me of the safety tapes I used to watch when I was working on my private (single engine)

Nice one, Brian.
Jim
Old June 13th 19, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 11:14:09 AM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Well worth the 8 minutes to watch and consider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMT-...WMiQ9bbZ1H_MPY

This presentation would be more powerful if one inverted the basic premise to "Gliding is inherently dangerous" (easy to defend citing the energy involved, minimal protections, etc.), followed by "it's your job as PIC to mitigate the hazards and make good decisions that lead to safe outcomes."

I'm more careful with things I regard as dangerous than things I regard as safe. Aren't you?

best,
Evan Ludeman
Old June 13th 19, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 9:14:09 AM UTC-6, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Well worth the 8 minutes to watch and consider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMT-...WMiQ9bbZ1H_MPY

Excellent talk about keeping safe - thanks for sending -
Old June 14th 19, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Margins are good,whether they be in airspeed, altitude, distance to landable area...

But remember the usual margin prescription is predicated on reasonably behaved air.

Vortices, downbursts, frontal passages etc. can blow past the usual margins in the blink of an eye.

Downwind of abrupt terrain, a vortex can produce a windshear of twice the wind aloft.
Old June 14th 19, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 5:52:17 PM UTC-7, George Haeh wrote:
Margins are good,whether they be in airspeed, altitude, distance to landable area...

But remember the usual margin prescription is predicated on reasonably behaved air.

Vortices, downbursts, frontal passages etc. can blow past the usual margins in the blink of an eye.

Downwind of abrupt terrain, a vortex can produce a windshear of twice the wind aloft.

Yeah, remember Peter Masak! An airfoil can stall at any speed any attitude. A gusts can stall you when you think your speeds are OK. As a mountain flyer I do thermal close to terrain but I don't talk on phone, send txt messages or play with crap in cockpit. I have a dog at home that needs me!
Old June 15th 19, 10:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Weather does not kill pilots, bad judgement does.
Old June 15th 19, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie[_3_]

While I agree with everything Brian said, the real issue is developing
and using the judgement to know when the margin of safety is
unacceptable. Even very experienced pilots can be lulled into the "Last
time I did this, I got away with it, no problem" mentality.