Best replacement for old Cessna navcom?

Old November 4th 03, 04:51 PM
Colin Kingsbury

Default Best replacement for old Cessna navcom?

Because a topic like this never gets too old

1979 172 with original Cessna (RT-385 IIRC?) radios, the NAV frq display on
the #1 box failed and the partners now finally agree it's not worth
repairing.

I'm contemplating two options:

1. Replace with a slide-in replacement like the TKM series, which will get
me a new box and standby freqs (woo-hoo!) Anybody here have those, or
suggest others? Advantage here is v. low cost to install versus something
like a KX-155 upgrade which would require rewiring, etc.

2. Replace with an IFR GPS/Com. This addresses ADF/DME, but costs us one
VOR. I don't think people will go for buying a second nav/com as well so it
needs to be a one-box upgrade.

Current stack has 2x Nav/Com, 1x ADF, 1x Mode C, Audio panel w/ marker
beacon, and an M1 Loran, all original equipment. The audio panel's getting
fussy and the ADF won't lock on to the lower-powered beacons until you're on
top of them. If it was up to me I'd yank it all but I've got 4 other guys
who fly less and almost never fly IFR so they're less picky.

Best,
-cwk.

Old November 4th 03, 05:08 PM
Newps

Colin Kingsbury wrote:

2. Replace with an IFR GPS/Com. This addresses ADF/DME, but costs us one
VOR. I don't think people will go for buying a second nav/com as well so it
needs to be a one-box upgrade.

This is the route to go. If you have a GPS/COMM you don't need a second
VOR. Then you can ditch the ADF and Loran and also have a DME
substitute. And your plane will be lighter.

Old November 4th 03, 08:13 PM
Dan Luke

"Colin Kingsbury" wrote:
I'm contemplating two options:

Easy:

2. Replace with an IFR GPS/Com.

If you fly much IFR in most parts of the country, this is becoming a
must, anyway. And if I were you, I'd find a factory recon'd Garmin 430
and make it the #1 NAV/COM.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old November 4th 03, 08:48 PM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

I got a 530 for the 430 price. The shop I use in TN quoted a price for a
430 or 530. The shop I bought the plane thru quoted the 530 in NC at the TN
430 price. 3 guesses on which one I have.

I wonder how many reconditioned 530's there are b/c of the newer 530A
(higher watt output) being exchanged.
--

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

take off my shoes to reply

Old November 4th 03, 11:39 PM
Tom S.

"Newps" wrote in message
Colin Kingsbury wrote:
2. Replace with an IFR GPS/Com. This addresses ADF/DME, but costs us one
VOR. I don't think people will go for buying a second nav/com as well so

it
needs to be a one-box upgrade.

This is the route to go. If you have a GPS/COMM you don't need a second
VOR. Then you can ditch the ADF and Loran and also have a DME
substitute. And your plane will be lighter.

But is that DME substitute legal for approaches/departures marked "DME
Required"? What about if the GPS system is having a bad hair day?

Tom
--
"We have clearance, Clarence!"

Old November 5th 03, 12:24 AM
Hankal

If you have a GPS/COMM you don't need a second
VOR. Then you can ditch the ADF and Loran and also have a DME
substitute. And your plane will be lighter.

And so will be your bank account.
Smiling Jack
Old November 5th 03, 01:01 AM
jim rosinski

"Colin Kingsbury" wrote:

I'm contemplating two options:

1. Replace with a slide-in replacement like the TKM series, which will get
me a new box and standby freqs (woo-hoo!) Anybody here have those, or
suggest others? Advantage here is v. low cost to install versus something
like a KX-155 upgrade which would require rewiring, etc.

I replaced broken Narco COM121 (or is it 122?) junk with TKM MX11R.
Been happy with the choice so far (3 years). This was probably my
cheapest option involving new equipment. It's a slide-in replacement,
but in my case unlike yours it's com-only (no nav).

Jim Rosinski
N3825Q
Old November 5th 03, 02:37 AM
Colin Kingsbury

From what I can tell a GNS-430 (even used) installed will cost around double
what a GNC-250xl or UPSAT setup would go for. Considering this is a 50k
Skyhawk we're talking about...

The only thing I don't like about going this route is losing the second LOC.
Of course if I did a 430 rig I'd have double NAVs again... grumble... That's
why they calls them "choices."

-cwk.

Old November 5th 03, 04:21 AM
Newps

Tom S. wrote:

But is that DME substitute legal for approaches/departures marked "DME
Required"?

Yes.

What about if the GPS system is having a bad hair day?

What if the VOR is out of service?

Old November 5th 03, 04:22 AM
Newps

Hankal wrote:

If you have a GPS/COMM you don't need a second
VOR. Then you can ditch the ADF and Loran and also have a DME
substitute. And your plane will be lighter.

And so will be your bank account.

Not that much. You'll be able to unload the ADF and Loran to people
stuck in the 70's on ebay without much problem.