Discovery Wings

Old May 14th 08, 07:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

Default Discovery Wings

I've been an "Expanded Basic Cable" guy for the last 20 years.. In the mid
90's Discovery Wings was included and I could watch it any time of the day
and be highly entertained. Then they moved it high up into the tier and
out of my channel range. Then it became the Military Channel.

I recently up dated my AV system to join this millennium and the Military
Channel is now in my channel line up.

What a POS!

My question is, does anyone have the back story of how the Discovery Wings
channel became the Military Channel? Everybody I knew considered Discovery
Wings a fantastic channel and I assumed it had high ratings.

Now I've got 250 channels including such winners as the Extreme Basket
Weaving Channel. I can't for the life of me figure out why some network
genius can't see the value of bringing back Discovery Wings.

:-/

--
Dallas
Old May 14th 08, 07:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Dallas wrote in
:

[...]

I thin kthey just ran out of programs. I started seeing rerun after
rerun on it before it died.

Bertie
Old May 14th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RNR[_3_]

On Wed, 14 May 2008 01:53:25 -0500, Dallas
wrote:

[...]

I miss that channel also. I think the problem is that you and your
friends and me and my friends (who also loved it) are part of a subset
of television viewers that is much too small to invest in the channel
itself and the new programming that was required to keep it going.
We're just not a big enough audience.
RNR
Old May 14th 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 14 May 2008 08:43:49 -0400, RNR wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

While not an entire TV channel, there is program devoted to GA:

http://www.sportpilottv.com/
SPORT PILOT TV - THE SHOW

Click to View Promo Video

Welcome to Sport Pilot TV! Come along and join us on a series of
exciting and informative adventures. Sport Pilot TV is a weekly
program that puts you in the flying seat of all kinds of aircraft
- conventional, sport pilot category, and experimental.

Old May 14th 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Dallas wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately "everybody you knew" were not enough to keep the channel
going. During the last year or so most of the programing was military
related anyway so they just added guns, tanks and ships to the
programing about fighters and bombers.

I knew the channel would never be a true channel about airplanes when
they didn't make a deal with EAA to cover OSH live 24/7.

Old May 14th 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Larry Dighera wrote:

While not an entire TV channel, there is program devoted to GA:

http://www.sportpilottv.com/
SPORT PILOT TV - THE SHOW

Click to View Promo Video

Welcome to Sport Pilot TV! Come along and join us on a series of
exciting and informative adventures. Sport Pilot TV is a weekly
program that puts you in the flying seat of all kinds of aircraft
- conventional, sport pilot category, and experimental.

To bad that at least for my area the stations and times listed on the
guide are wrong. I'll have my TiVo search for it tonight.
Old May 14th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Dallas" wrote in message

[...]

I had a C-band dish and switched over to DirecTV because of the Discovery
Wings channel (C-band was dying a slow agonizing death anyway). Had the
DirecTV for maybe 6 months before it became the military channel. I miss it,
the show where they build a homebuilt coptor was pretty cool to watch.

Old May 14th 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Wed, 14 May 2008 06:55:28 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

I thin kthey just ran out of programs. I started seeing rerun after
rerun on it before it died.

Yeah, but I could watch those reruns over and over without getting tired of
them.

[grumble, grumble]

--
Dallas
Old May 14th 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Wed, 14 May 2008 08:43:49 -0400, RNR wrote:

We're just not a big enough audience.

And yet they find an audience large enough use up their bandwidth for
important favorites such as:

Free Speech TV
Health and Human Services
HorseRacing TV
RFD-TV
University of Washington TV
Florida Education Channel
CoLours TV
Angel One
3ABN
Alma Vision Hispanic Network
etc....

:-/
--
Dallas
Old May 14th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
pittss1c

Dallas wrote:
[...]

It switched before I got a chance to pitch my new shows for the channel.

I bet you could pick a new airport every week, and start opening hangar
doors and ask about local aviation. You would see some really neat
aircraft/projects ant it seems every area has local aviation "heros" you
could get some cool stories from. You could probably get over 20 good
episodes from my state alone. A multi-year series aught to be easy.

Also, I think a show where you go from flyin to flyin interviewing
people would be cool. (No, I am not talking about Oshkosh)

Mike