Jay Honeck must get an instrument rating

Old September 27th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Default Jay Honeck must get an instrument rating

The subject line says it all. I declare from this moment on all
rec.aviators should, on all possible occasions, pick on Jay Honeck for
not having an instrument rating.

Margy
Old September 27th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Margy Natalie wrote:

The subject line says it all. I declare from this moment on all
rec.aviators should, on all possible occasions, pick on Jay Honeck for
not having an instrument rating.

Especially since he has a GREAT platform for instrument flying.
And Mary can be a safety pilot, allowing Jay an awesome
amount of hood time.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old September 27th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Margy Natalie" wrote in message
m...

The subject line says it all. I declare from this moment on all
rec.aviators should, on all possible occasions, pick on Jay Honeck for not
having an instrument rating.

Why? Is there something wrong with not having an instrument rating?

Old September 27th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Margy Natalie" wrote in message
m...

The subject line says it all. I declare from this moment on all
rec.aviators should, on all possible occasions, pick on Jay Honeck for not
having an instrument rating.

Why? Is there something wrong with not having an instrument rating?

Steven, you might want to check into the price of a sense of humor.
Hopefully, you can get a good deal!

Matt
Old September 27th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maule Driver

Agreed! We'd all like to read the account of his first approach to
minimums or the first 4 hour trip saved by 5 minutes of instrument flight.

Maybe we can take up a collection for the stronger sunglasses he'll need
when flying above all those puffy whites.

C'mon Jay!!

Old September 27th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

We'd all like to read the account of his first approach to minimums or the first 4 hour trip saved by 5 minutes of instrument flight.

I'll tell you mine. Ok, not the first, but a recent one. We'd departed
VFR from Seattle, with Santa Rosa as our destination, something like
five and a half hours away. Yreka (Montague) was our fuel stop (a
wonderful place to stop by the way!) and, as we did on the way up, we
got the courtesy car and a drove into Yreka to have a fresh baked pie
and burger before heading south on our final leg. The weather was
perfect, though we did need to go high to stay on top of a broken layer
from Seattle most of the way to Yreka. It was a beautiful flight, and
the departure from Yreka was uneventful, as we pointed the nose towards
the South Pole and climbed out. OF course, by now it was getting late,
and much of the rest of the trip would be at night.

Santa Rosa sits in the valley, quite a ways inland from the coast, but
the fog does roll in. It was expected between 1 AM and 4 AM, but as we
came over the final hills, it was clear that the fog had its own ideas.
STS was reporting 200 foot ceilings. I could see the fog, and were I
not instrument rated, there were other airports I could have gone to.
But Santa Rosa was our destination, and I had the ticket (and the
plates) so I asked the controllers for an IFR clearance into STS. This
was a few minutes in coming, meanwhile the controller vectored us to the
South and around a few hills (maintain VFR for now) to get us set. Soon
we got a hard IFR altitude and our clearance for the ILS. I think we
entered the fog at two thousand feet or less, and after keeping the
needles in the center for four minutes, the runway appeared two hundred
feet below us (and a little bit in front of us letting us touch down
right where we wanted to.

We were renting the airplane from STS, so it would have been a real pain
in the tucus if we had to divert and then retrieve the airplane the next
day from someplace maybe fifty miles away. But out of the five hours
and something, we probably spent five minutes in the clouds.

But those were the five minutes that count.

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old September 27th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 00:35:55 GMT, Matt Whiting
wrote in :

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Margy Natalie" wrote in message
m...

The subject line says it all. I declare from this moment on all
rec.aviators should, on all possible occasions, pick on Jay Honeck for not
having an instrument rating.

Why? Is there something wrong with not having an instrument rating?

Steven, you might want to check into the price of a sense of humor.
Hopefully, you can get a good deal!

Which clue was it that tipped you to Margy's facetious intent?

While she was obviously needling Mr. Honeck (ostensibly for his own
good), I didn't see any smiley nor find any humor worth a chuckle in
what she wrote.

Old September 27th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Steven, you might want to check into the price of a sense of humor.
Hopefully, you can get a good deal!

No doubt, but why would I want to sell it?

Old September 27th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

wrote in :

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Margy Natalie" wrote in message
.com...

The subject line says it all. I declare from this moment on all
rec.aviators should, on all possible occasions, pick on Jay Honeck for not
having an instrument rating.

Why? Is there something wrong with not having an instrument rating?

Steven, you might want to check into the price of a sense of humor.
Hopefully, you can get a good deal!

Which clue was it that tipped you to Margy's facetious intent?

While she was obviously needling Mr. Honeck (ostensibly for his own
good), I didn't see any smiley nor find any humor worth a chuckle in
what she wrote.

You must have missed Jay's comment about ME not needing permission from
MARY (his wife) to pick on him. Typed jabs at friends sometimes fall
flat on when words would have been great.

Margy