#711 reporting Uvalde

Old August 21st 04, 12:17 AM
TomnKeyLargo

Default #711 reporting Uvalde

Well the contest is over. Last nite we had the awards and dinner. This was a
good and hard test for this years Open Class and 18 Meter Nationals. Uvalde
weather gods did serve up a challenge for all pilots and the CD. Other than
several, well, slow tows, behind one Cessna, the towpilots and launch crews did
a great job. From the first day to the last day, we were tested on our skills
by CD Spratt, and he did test them. To put it simply you had to have your stuff
together or you were left turning and burning in 1 kt climbs trying to get back
into the lift band. That old saying of get high, stay high seemed to work best.
DB, the Open Class winner did a great job and his ASW 22 big winger got him the
title. I have been at several contests this year with DB and he is at the top
of his game. SS Ron Tabery, AS driven by Eric M., Ray Gimmey flying a AS-H 25,
and the Nimbus 4 boys, Heniz and Monty, along with GJ and the Nimbus 3 crowd,
put on a show for us as they launched first off the taxiway. A show it was as
each day the big wingers would lift off into the sky and it does still warm the
heart of this one to see that site. 89 put it together in the 18 Meter with a
ASW 27. He did some great flying and Rick is to be proud of his win. On the 7th
day he just blew us all off with his speed. Rock Springs late in the day was
where we turned to come home. The road home was into the wind, rain showers on
course and with low bases over hill country. Alot of us never got home and had
to box or aero tow back to Uvalde. Some tried to make it but came up short,
with one not being found by crew until after mid nite. I did a late aero tow
back, and used my Ipaq for lighting. Remember, don't throw rocks at the
messenger. The last day was again a test of skills. A long second leg tested
all, as if you got low all you had was chopped up lift that was hard to climb
in. LBL flew into the area of no fly where the blimp hangs in the sky by Eagle
pass. He did say he got some great pics of the blimp. Those pics cost him 1055
points. If you fly where you shouldn't, the price is high. The contest
managers, Kerry and Noreen, alot with Anna, did a great job. They have been
doing it for 20 years now, and enjoy us coming to Uvalde. Next year the 15
Meters will be here and a shoot out it will be. What was really different this
year were the temps. Most days we saw high 80's, with only the last few days
getting into the 90's. Uvalde is a great soaring site, I just hope as the
airport grows, we get to keep this place to race. John Good covered alot of
ground this summer in helping out at several contest. Thanks John Good. I have
been lucky enough to see alot of country again this summer from the the silent
sky. Just my thoughts on what I have seen this season. Our Sport has alot of
good folks, I am very gratiful for all those that help put on our contests. I
take off my hat and wish to say thanks to all. What we should remember is that
our selfcentered needs should not overcome our enjoyment of this sport. I have
told this story several times. I had a Sheppard who bit several folks. The vet
said one of the most important things I have heard in my life. ""Its not whats
wrong with Amigo,'' my dog, ''its whats wrong with us in not being able to
understand him.'' So what I have seen this summer is we need to have alittle
more ""understanding and thanks'' for all of us in our sport. We are the
""keepers'' of our sport and must remember that. With that said, maybe then we
can attract more into it and keep those that are in it. Thats what I have seen
this season, and thats what I am thankful for. Going to Fredsrickburg to
sniff, then to New Castle in late Sept. Thermal tight, Soar high, Fly safe, #
711 reporting.