Camping at Uvalde, TX?

Old April 12th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Camping at Uvalde, TX?

OK, I already know the answer to this one. But my twin daughters are
upset that I've reserved a hotel room at Uvalde for the U.S. Std. Nats
in August; they would rather stay in a tent (back off guys, they're
both crewing for me and, besides, I'm told this phase will pass as they
turn into teenagers next year).

So, for the record, Does anyone ever camp at Uvalde in the late summer?
Is it practical? We do everywhere else, including Hobbs, but I'm
told--never having been to Uvalde before--that this is one place you
wouldn't want to try it.

What about RVs? If we talk my folks into driving down with their big
rig, are there hookups and a shower on the airport? Nearby?

Thanks,
Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"

Old April 12th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I know people who have camped there, but most do so at the RV park a
short distance away, can't remember the name of it, but it is close by
and it is where the pilot's meetings are held. Humidity, heat are high
enough that rarely were they able to get to sleep until after midnight.

I opt for an RV and keep the generator running near the flight line
until staging time is near.

Old April 13th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'm told this phase will pass as they
turn into teenagers next year).

....& that's when your troubles will really begin. My daughters are moms
now & therefore suffering their retribution. Fortunately, my wife
reminds me that no matter how hard you try, sometimes they turn out
allright.

The only thing worse than having a 14-year old daughter would be being
one (I think).

Old April 14th 06, 08:35 PM
Vic7 Vic7 is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by

So, for the record, Does anyone ever camp at Uvalde in the late summer?
Is it practical? We do everywhere else, including Hobbs, but I'm
told--never having been to Uvalde before--that this is one place you
wouldn't want to try it.

What about RVs? If we talk my folks into driving down with their big
rig, are there hookups and a shower on the airport? Nearby?

Thanks,
Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
Chip,

I've only been to Uvalde twice (this year will make three) but I agree that you would not want to tent camp there. The big, stinging ants would really appreciate it, but you probably would not. You may not even survive the experience.

I have seen big motor homes with self-contained facilities pull up for the contest, but we have to beg the on-airport businesses for facilities (always kindly granted) or make the long trek across the field to the terminal. I am not aware of any water/power hookups, but I've never looked for more than a water hose.

Good luck. You will love fly there.

Steve

Plan our camping trip! Jay Honeck Piloting 26 April 11th 06 06:20 PM
Oshkosh Camping Suggestions Kyle Boatright Piloting 38 July 17th 05 10:29 PM
Where to go for on-field camping near Texas? [email protected] Piloting 5 January 28th 05 01:58 AM
#711 reporting Uvalde TomnKeyLargo Soaring 0 August 21st 04 12:17 AM
Oshkosh rumor about camping Jim Gardiner Home Built 3 July 20th 04 07:50 PM