Taking the pledge

Old March 4th 07, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Taking the pledge

Okay, folks, enough is enough. We've got good, long-term, high
quality pilots seriously discussing vandalizing someone's website,
because of said someone's troll-dom.

In the past, I have defended said troll, and lambasted said vandals,
but have now come to realize that this troll is obviously so divisive
and upsetting to some that this issue risks tearing apart the very
fabric of rec.aviation.

I personally find this amazing (he truly doesn't bother me that much)
but, in the interest of keeping this newsgroup intact and (relatively)
harmonious, I hereby publically make the following pledges, and urge
others to join me he

1. I will not respond to MX's posts.
2. I will not lambaste MX on these newsgroups.
3. I will not vandalize MX's website.

All in favor, say "aye"...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 4th 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote

1. I will not respond to MX's posts.
2. I will not lambaste MX on these newsgroups.
3. I will not vandalize MX's website.

All in favor, say "aye"...

Aye

One question, though. What is the punishment for breaking the pledge?

Thirty lashes with a wet noodle? No beer at the OSH party? g
--
Jim in NC

Old March 4th 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
TheSmokingGnu

Jay Honeck wrote:
1. I will not respond to MX's posts.
2. I will not lambaste MX on these newsgroups.
3. I will not vandalize MX's website.

All in favor, say "aye"...

4. You will place the "XXX" identifier in your replies, such that any
and all MX traffic is hereby sent to yonder circular file.

TheSmokingGnu
Old March 4th 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...

Okay, folks, enough is enough. We've got good, long-term, high
quality pilots seriously discussing vandalizing someone's website,
because of said someone's troll-dom.

In the past, I have defended said troll, and lambasted said vandals,
but have now come to realize that this troll is obviously so divisive
and upsetting to some that this issue risks tearing apart the very
fabric of rec.aviation.

I personally find this amazing (he truly doesn't bother me that much)
but, in the interest of keeping this newsgroup intact and (relatively)
harmonious, I hereby publically make the following pledges, and urge
others to join me he

1. I will not respond to MX's posts.
2. I will not lambaste MX on these newsgroups.
3. I will not vandalize MX's website.

He doesn't bother me a bit. I killfiled him long ago. I only see his
messages when someone else responds to him, and then I ignore that subject.

Old March 4th 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

One question, though. What is the punishment for breaking the pledge?

Thirty lashes with a wet noodle? No beer at the OSH party? g

Ooooo, I don't know about that. That's like giving someone the death
penalty for shop-lifting!

I think, perhaps, it just means that they have to bring a TWELVE-pack
of good beer to the party, rather than a mere 6-pack...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 4th 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

He doesn't bother me a bit. I killfiled him long ago. I only see his
messages when someone else responds to him, and then I ignore that subject.

I hear ya -- but the trouble with that tactic is that you end up
missing a huge percentage of the threads in this newsgroup. MX *does*
respond to virtually every thread.

Although it makes me feel silly to even suggest it, if only to keep
peace in the group, I think we should try the "no answer"
technique.

I just don't want to see this group reduced to flame wars, like I've
seen in other groups. It gets ugly quickly, and I'm already seeing
some of that here.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 4th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"TheSmokingGnu" wrote

1. I will not respond to MX's posts.
2. I will not lambaste MX on these newsgroups.
3. I will not vandalize MX's website.

All in favor, say "aye"...

4. You will place the "XXX" identifier in your replies, such that any and
all MX traffic is hereby sent to yonder circular file.

Nope, you missed number 1. No responses to MX, and no XXX will be needed.

The only way this will work, is if all communication on this subject stops.
Including posts like this.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 4th 07, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On 3 Mar 2007 20:49:29 -0800, "Jay Honeck" wrote in
.com:

1. I will not respond to [trolls].

2. I will not lambaste [trolls] on these newsgroups.

3. I will not vandalize [a troll's] website.

4. I will not whine about the whiners or trolls,
unless you count this as a whine, in which case
it is done now. ;o)

5. I will killfile trolls silently and concentrate
on the many good posts and posters in the group.

Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.
Old March 4th 07, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike 'Flyin'8'

Okay, folks, enough is enough. We've got good, long-term, high
quality pilots seriously discussing vandalizing someone's website,
because of said someone's troll-dom.

In the past, I have defended said troll, and lambasted said vandals,
but have now come to realize that this troll is obviously so divisive
and upsetting to some that this issue risks tearing apart the very
fabric of rec.aviation.

I personally find this amazing (he truly doesn't bother me that much)
but, in the interest of keeping this newsgroup intact and (relatively)
harmonious, I hereby publically make the following pledges, and urge
others to join me he

1. I will not respond to MX's posts.
2. I will not lambaste MX on these newsgroups.
3. I will not vandalize MX's website.

All in favor, say "aye"...

Has anyone thought about using a program that looks a certain
individuals name and immediatly issues a usenet message cancel based
upon said users name and the newly posted subject?

http://home.att.net/~marjie1/Cancels.htm

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
See my online aerial photo album at
http://flying.4alexanders.com
Old March 4th 07, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike 'Flyin'8'

[...]

The NEW liquid spray Pledge - Pledge® Multi-Surface Clean & Dust Spray No Spam Owning 6 February 15th 05 05:50 PM
Lemon Pledge Gerry Preston Owning 15 June 18th 04 09:00 PM
Limitations of Lemon Pledge Jay Honeck Owning 36 May 6th 04 08:44 PM
Annual Costs - Take the Pledge Roger Long Owning 25 February 1st 04 03:41 PM
I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE..... ArtKramr Military Aviation 19 October 24th 03 07:51 PM