taking pictures from the sky

Old May 16th 08, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default taking pictures from the sky

Can a person take pictures of properties from a private airplane and
charge for doing it?
What kind of license or permits do they need to do this?

Have a good day and stay out of the trees!
See ya on Sport Aircraft group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sport_Aircraft/

Old May 16th 08, 12:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

From: Mxsmanic

A CPL? No, I don't think so--not if he is flying in the pursuit of his own
business (not carrying passengers or cargo).

Wrong again, Dip****.

Well, that definitely settles it then.
Mind pointing it out in something more substantive than your
bellybutton?

Old May 16th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On May 15, 8:37*pm, wrote:
Can a person take pictures of properties from a private airplane and
charge for doing it?
What kind of license or permits do they need to do this?

Its very FSDO dependant. Our local FSDO approved a guy to do just this
as long as it wasn't the primary purpose of his business. In his
description it didn't sound like his business did much else. In
anycase, in the end it will be up to the FSDO to decide if they think
you are doing something wrong.

-Robert
Old May 16th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On May 15, 10:03*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:
Generally, the pilot needs a commercial license if the pictures are for
sale.

A CPL? *No, I don't think so--not if he is flying in the pursuit of his own
business (not carrying passengers or cargo).

Passengers and cargo have little to do with it. You're probably
confusing commercial with 135.

-Robert
Old May 16th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

Generally, the pilot needs a commercial license if the pictures are for
sale.

A CPL? No, I don't think so--not if he is flying in the pursuit of his own
business (not carrying passengers or cargo).

Wrong again.

I am making the assumption we are talking about the US, but the rules
are similar in most other countries.

Generally, any flight that includes compensation to the pilot in any
form as a result of having made the flight requires a commercial.

There are a few exceptions such as reimbursement for actual costs for
charity, sharing actual costs among the passengers under narrowly
defined conditions, etc.

The general test is whether or not the flight is essential to the
business.

Flying to a remote office is not concidered essential as the person
could take a car, bus, train, or airline flight.

But aerial photography where the photographs are for sale is clearly
a flight made for the sole purpose of making money and the flight is
essential to the photography so it requires a commercial.

I can't find it any more but there was that list of opinions from the
FAA chief counsel that while not having the effect of law was a pretty
damn good idea of how the FAA was going to treat a given situation.

For some reason there is a memory stuck in my head there was an opinion
in there that stated that the FAA or at least the Chief Counsel did
feel that when flying for professional photography the flying was
incidental to the photography and hence legal for a private pilot.

P.S. If anyone knows where that list of opinions is archived please
chime in. I'd really like to bookmark it.
Old May 16th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Robert M. Gary writes:

Passengers and cargo have little to do with it. You're probably
confusing commercial with 135.

I'm making a distinction between flying for hire and flying for one's own
business purposes. Just as a private pilot can fly between his offices in
different cities for business purposes, he can fly for the purpose of taking
pictures. If he transports someone _else_ who acts as photographer, though,
the situation may change.