Trailer tire pressure remote monitoring systems

Old July 24th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Trailer tire pressure remote monitoring systems

After a trailer tire blowout last year, I installed a remote monitoring
system that displays the trailer tire pressure on command, and alerts me
automatically if the pressure drops. I don't know how effective this
will be in avoiding tire problems, because it's possible tread
separation can occur even if the pressure is OK, but at least I won't be
driving on under-inflated tires.

There are several systems that one can choose from. I'm using
PressurePro, which is about $150 for the monitor and $50/tire for the
sensors. I also put them on my tow vehicle, so it was $650 for the two
trailer wheels and the six RV wheels. It was easy to install and seems
to work well.

Is anyone else using a trailer tire monitoring system? Has it helped you
avoid tire problems?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old July 24th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Hoffman

Eric Greenwell wrote:

Is anyone else using a trailer tire monitoring system? Has it
helped you
avoid tire problems?

Hi Eric.

Can't comment directly on trailers. But my wife's Dodge Caliber
came with sensors as standard. For the first time that I can
recall she has actually requested that I put air in her tire.
Prior to that she has been known to drive for days with almost
zero air pressure.

I think the new sensors are great, on any application.
--
Regards,
Doug

Old July 24th 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Raphael Warshaw

On Jul 24, 10:47*am, Eric Greenwell wrote:
After a trailer tire blowout last year, I installed a remote monitoring
system that displays the trailer tire pressure on command, and alerts me
automatically if the pressure drops. I don't know how effective this
will be in avoiding tire problems, because it's possible tread
separation can occur even if the pressure is OK, but at least I won't be
driving on under-inflated tires.

There are several systems that one can choose from. I'm using
PressurePro, which is about $150 for the monitor and $50/tire for the
sensors. I also put them on my tow vehicle, so it was $650 for the two
trailer wheels and the six RV wheels. It was easy to install and seems

Hi Eric,

I tried a similar system on my semi and it didn't work reliably, most
likely due to the 70 foot length of the unit. I switched to "Cat's
Eyes" which are devices with a clamshell covered by a plexiglass
dome. They mounted on the tire studs and connected by a braided hose
to the valve-stem. When the pressure was right, the lids were closed,
when it dropped, the clamshell opened proportionally. This was easy
to see at a glance. They were available in a range of preset
pressures and were much cheaper than the systems with electronic
senders, but you did have to get out of the truck. They were made by
an outfit called Link Manufacturing. There are systems for big trucks
that actually maintain correct pressure by means of a hub-mounted
centrifical pump, but they were new and unproven at the time.

My drivers had frequent tread separations and blowouts (about two a
month) in the 10 years before the Cat's Eyes" were installed but only
two blowouts in the 10 year period I owned the truck afterwards, both
due to striking debris in the road. We had no tread separation
incidents during this period. Given that, depending on position,
these tires cost anywhere from $ 200 to $ 400 each (Perhaps even more
now), the savings were considerable. Correct inflation, in addition to
preventing tire and associated vehicle damage, improves fuel economy
and prolongs the life of the axles and wheel bearings,

Oh yeah, did I mention safety? You haven't really lived 'til you've
tried to control a long, unstable vehicle that has suddenly developed
a mind of it's own. Blowouts often do that!

For anyone interested, Google "tire pressure monitor" and all sorts of
information pops up.

Ray Warshaw
1LK

PS: My current "tire pressure monitor system (tpms)" is an 18 inch
truck tire gauge, about $ 20 at most truck stops, which, when coupled
to an eyeball and used often, seems to do the job. At my present age,
I need to stop frequently anyway.

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" atwww.motorglider.org

Old July 25th 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Raphael Warshaw wrote:
On Jul 24, 10:47 am, Eric Greenwell wrote:
After a trailer tire blowout last year, I installed a remote monitoring
system that displays the trailer tire pressure on command, and alerts me
automatically if the pressure drops. I don't know how effective this
will be in avoiding tire problems, because it's possible tread
separation can occur even if the pressure is OK, but at least I won't be
driving on under-inflated tires.

There are several systems that one can choose from. I'm using
PressurePro, which is about $150 for the monitor and $50/tire for the
sensors. I also put them on my tow vehicle, so it was $650 for the two
trailer wheels and the six RV wheels. It was easy to install and seems

Hi Eric,

I tried a similar system on my semi and it didn't work reliably, most
likely due to the 70 foot length of the unit.

snip

My drivers had frequent tread separations and blowouts (about two a
month) in the 10 years before the Cat's Eyes" were installed but only
two blowouts in the 10 year period I owned the truck afterwards,

It sounds like you've taken care of your problem.

PS: My current "tire pressure monitor system (tpms)" is an 18 inch
truck tire gauge, about $ 20 at most truck stops, which, when coupled
to an eyeball and used often, seems to do the job. At my present age,
I need to stop frequently anyway.

I went to the remote monitoring after several flats on the motorhome,
despite obsesssive pressure checking of the tires.

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old July 26th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jul 24, 7:05*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Raphael Warshaw wrote:
[...]

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" atwww.motorglider.org- Hide quoted text -

Terrific Idea. I check my trailer hubs and tire surfaces at each pit
stop along the way. I find that a $4.95 tire pressure guage from
Walmart works great. Be sure to follow your tire manufacturer's
recommendation. 50 psi for my Goodywar Marathon Radials. Run them on
my boats and the glider trailer. Also, be very aware and critical of
the sounds and feel of the trailer. Unusual vibrations, noises and
handling almost always foretells tire failuer.
Old July 26th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Raphael Warshaw

On Jul 24, 4:05*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Raphael Warshaw wrote:
[...]

The Cat's Eyes we used made it simple for my drivers to look at tire
pressure. They were no help when the vehicle was moving. Several of
them told me they could estimate pressure to a few pounds by thumping
the tires with a "tire thumper", a device that looked like a Billy
Club. When I challenged them, they couldn't come w/in 20 psi.

I wonder if the problem you're having is due to heat buildup. If the
tire pressure is ok when you start, still ok when you arrive where
you're going and stilll ok the following morning, you've pretty much
ruled out loss of air. Does your motorhome allow decent airflow
around the tires? Most of the ones I've looked at cover more than
half the tire with the bodywork, particularly the rear duals.

Ray Warshaw

Old July 26th 08, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Raphael Warshaw wrote:

I went to the remote monitoring after several flats on the motorhome,
despite obsesssive pressure checking of the tires.

I wonder if the problem you're having is due to heat buildup.

I don't think so. One was due to a bolt through the tread, another a
tear in the sidewall, and two from faulty valve stems. These were all
rear tires, on duals, and I never felt any handling changes. By luck,
only the one with the tear had to be replaced.

I often check the tire temperature right after stopping just by placing
a hand on them. It's a good way to see if any tire is running
significantly hotter than the others. It's probably not a useful
practice, now that I have remote pressure sensors, but you still have to
visually examine the tires, regardless of how you measure the
temperature. Bulges, partial separation, uneven wear, nails, etc, can
often only be caught by eye.

I've had the most tread problems with my trailer. I've removed one tire
because it was wearing very oddly, two tires because they developed a
bulge from partial tread separation, one tire because the steel belt
showed through for a few inches on one edge, and one because the tread
separated completely, taking the fender with it. This is over
140-150,000 miles of towing in a 10 year period.

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old July 26th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James D'Andrea

Be sure to follow your tire manufacturer's
recommendation. *50 psi for my Goodywar Marathon Radials. *Run them on
my boats and the glider trailer. *Also, be very aware and critical of
the sounds and feel of the trailer. *Unusual vibrations, noises and
handling almost always foretells tire failuer.- Hide quoted text -

My understanding is that the correct tire pressure is recommended by
the vehicle manufacturer and not the tire manufacturer. On a car, the
correct tire pressure can be found in the operating manual or on the
vehicle identification placard located in the driver's side door
frame. The tire pressure on the tire sidewall is the pressure to
carry the max load that the tire can handle. Following this
reasoning, the correct tire pressure on the trailer should be the one
the trailer manufacturer recommends even if the tire has a higher
pressure listed on the sidewall. I checked this out with my tire
store and they confirmed this. I have new ST rated tires that can
handle 50PSI, but the store recommended 35 PSI. The trailer is
noticeably more stable than the old P-rated tires that were on the
trailer when I bought it.
Old July 26th 08, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

James D'Andrea wrote:
[...]

This is a sensible approach to setting the tire pressure, as long as you
are using the tire specified by the trailer manufacturer, AND you are
getting the identical size (or getting the quality they want), or they
didn't like how the original size performed (stability, speed rating,
longevity), so they end up with a different type or size of tire.

Following the tire manufacturer's recommendations does not mean using
the max pressure listed on the sidewall, but using the inflation
pressure from their load tables. Even that pressure can be properly
exceeded in some circumstances; e.g., ST tires can be run be used over
their nominal 65 mph rating (up to 75 mph) by increasing the pressure
another 10 psi (assuming the wheel and tire are rated for the higher
pressure).

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

FA: 1-Day-Left: 3 Books: SPACE SATELLITE and AIRPHOTO INTERPRETATION, REMOTE SENSING, ENVIRONMENTAL MONITORING... Mike[_18_] Aviation Marketplace 0 July 7th 07 01:14 PM
Tire tread wear vs inflation pressure Ben Jackson Owning 22 October 6th 06 04:35 AM
Trailer tire rims Gary Carter Soaring 7 January 21st 05 03:15 PM
Tire inflation pressure Paul Lee Home Built 80 November 19th 03 07:56 AM
Tire Stiffness & trailer swaying chris Soaring 42 October 22nd 03 03:51 AM