21m tipped Lak 17b!

Old October 19th 13, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

Default 21m tipped Lak 17b!

So Lak are producing a 21m tipped LAK 17B - so a glider you cn fly in 15,
18, and Open Class - will it be competetive in any?

Old October 20th 13, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Damn right it will be!

I finished 5th overall in a lak17a (that's right, lak17"A"!) this year at 18m nationals. I am a very average, inexperienced and essentially new contest pilot. I seemed to keep up with 29's pretty well. I imagine the 17b (with its ability to to up to 1300 gross weight) will be far, FAR more "even" with the 29 that the 17a is. The 17a was initially designed as a 15m and is therefore limited to 1103 gross weight max.

http://www.ssa.org/ContestResults.as...eter+Nationals

From what I have heard, the 17b is far more advanced than the 17a in almost all key aspects. The wing is entirely redesigned as 15/18 and not just 15 with 18 extensions as an afterthought as the 17a was... The airfoils are similar to the Diana 2. So I think it will do extremely well in 18 meter competition when in the hands of a strong pilot.

In 15 meter configuration, the 17a is very good, similar to an ASW 27 which it was designed to beat. The 17b is almost certainly better 15 meter configuration that the 17a with an entirely new wing winglets, new airfoils, a redesigned vertical stab, rudder and all new horizontal stab.

In 21 meter I suspect it will be very good (60:1, similar to the JS1) otherwise why would they bother? Will it compete with a Quintus or a Concordia? I highly doubt it, but it would be a hell of a glider for the $$$...

Sincerely,

Sean Fidler
F2, Lak17a #114
Old October 21st 13, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

Hmm - it's just in most Europeans and Worlds the 17b has ended up at the
botttom of the score sheets. Maybe the pilots and not the plane?.
The JS1C seems to cut it (at least in the French mountains and Texas
weather, ) with Concordia's, Quintus - so why not a 21m Lak ? (don't know
if they are upping the max weight for the 21m version ala the JS1C.)

Old October 21st 13, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

They need a strong US (or Canadian) pilot RACING the glider in US contests. Period.

The Uvalde and Euro pilots have not been top shelf. JS1 is better connected and has many top pilots flying their hardware in contrast.

I agree the 21 meter version needs to be at 850 if it is going to be seriously competitive at a world level BUT...in the US east coast contest environment it would probably be just fine if it was not able to achieve 850.

I'll check and see what the specs say on the website...
Old October 21st 13, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

You mean 850Kg?

If a 21m Lak 17B were to have a wing area similar to the
12.25m2 of the JS1C 21m then at 850kg MAUW it would have a
wingloading of over 69kg/m2! I am not sure where the water
would go. With the JS1C 21m you need to fill the wings, the
21m tips, have fuselage tanks full of water or fuel and a not too
lightweight pilot to get to the MAUW 720kg and 59kg/m2

Furthermore an 21m Lak 17 is likely to have an even smaller
wing area (and ?less water capacity) because the 18m Lak has
a wing area of 10.32m2 compared to 11.21m2 for an 18m JS1.

John Galloway

Old October 21st 13, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

No specs on the website yet - but announced on Blanik America site and in
the article on the Mini Lak on their news pages about the tips.

I'm presuming you can fly at 15. 18 and 21m with the same ship? Which will
probably make it a popular ship in the US- and agree with Sean bargain
and piloting points.

Upping to 850 kg probably not on- but maybe around the 650-700kg mark?
which would probably give it a similar wing loading to the JS1 with the
smaller wing area.

Now I wonder if the asg 29 is going to be tipped to 21m? (I know its a
tipped 27! and they have the ASH 31).

Old October 21st 13, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Paul,

I just got an email back from Vytas (owner of Lak factory). Here is his statement: "MAX mass remains 600 kg as 18 m class mass, as no space for more water."

That makes sense to me. I think there is ZERO chance the ASG29 will ever get 21 meter tips OR 800kg max weight as its wing is simply not designed for the loads (just like the 17b). Also, the 18 meter tips barely fit in the trailer. Makes me wonder how the Lak17b could fit all these wingtips in a trailer as well. Anyway, the requirement for a 21 meter single for Schleicher has been fulfilled by the ASG 31.

Info on ASG31 --- http://www.alexander-schleicher.de/p...h31_main_e.htm

The 31, as with most motor gliders, has too much wing loading in 18 meter configuration when flying in weak lift. It is better at 21 meters where it can go to 700 kg and 10.8 lbs/sqft wing loading (no, not 800!). Min wing loading looks to be about 8.82 (with a 200 lb pilot) in 18 meter and 8.09 in 21 meter.

Hope this helps to answer your questions on the Schleicher's.

Sean

Old October 21st 13, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Blanik America leaves a little to be desired in terms of website quality, for sure ;-)

For that matter, all the glider manufacturers websites are fairly poor to be honest.

Sean

Old October 22nd 13, 07:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gliderstud

Sean I'll raise my hand if you find one to fly
Old October 22nd 13, 09:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muttley

On Saturday, October 19, 2013 4:46:54 PM UTC+1, Paul T wrote:
So Lak are producing a 21m tipped LAK 17B - so a glider you cn fly in 15,

18, and Open Class - will it be competetive in any?

Many of the Lak 17 FES flown in the European competitions were the A Models
I believe the B version is an improvement.