Final Glides: GPS or Pressure Altitude?

Old July 28th 16, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Final Glides: GPS or Pressure Altitude?

Kirk, pry yourself away from the stinkin' prairie of IL (I know it well) and come fly with us out West occasionally. You'll get an appreciation for what Tom is saying. But wait, during your military career you must have spent some time over the high desert, right?
Herb

Herb, I've got plenty of time over the high desert during 20 years flying out of Phoenix. Got my diamonds (all three - I hate paperwork) out of Turf to the Grand Canyon and back. Flew to Parowan one Sunday on a whim in my LS6, and took the first tow the following day and flew back to Turf. I've raced at Moriarty and El Tiro, and explored most of Arizona by glider.

Lots of really scary tiger country out there - to go with the awesome lift (most of the time...). Planning for a landout was not something to take lightly!

And yes, BTDT in jets, too.

Sure, my use of O2 has gone down a lot since I've moved to StL, but while different, the flying is just as much fun...

cheers,

Kirk
66
Old July 28th 16, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 9:40:19 AM UTC-7, kirk.stant wrote:
On Tuesday, July 26, 2016 at 11:37:04 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
You can wear Jockey shorts and a tank top for all I care. Myself, I WILL wear full length pants and a long sleeved shirt and shoes that I can make a long hike in. Plus I will have a jacket, extra water, flash light, fire starter, whistle, first aid kit, extra food and a handheld radio. On top of that I have the chute option that you mentioned.

With the exception of a jacket and a handheld, I carry pretty much the same (stripped down to the bare minimum); if it's chilly I may even throw in a jacket. But if it's a hot, humid day I'll dress accordingly. I agree that you have to think about survival, but that doesn't mean carrying a tent with you!

Bottom line: there IS NO substitute for being prepared. You WILL have to deal with WHATEVER situation you encounter with the equipment that you launch with. Having done some serious expeditionary type mountaineering in my younger years I am somewhat more attuned to this issue than you seem to be..

Really? Funny, I guess all those military survival courses I took didn't teach me much. Anyway - Glad you have room in your glider for all that survival gear, you must fly over some really scary terrain - not my problem down here in southern Illinois!

Cheers,

Kirk
66

First off, thank you for your service. Secondly, I know those military survival courses teach you to get buy with a bare minimum of supplies, but that doesn't mean that is how you should prepare yourself.

Yes, I DO fly over a lot of really scary terrain in the middle of Nevada (check it out with Google Earth) where you can be 50 or more miles from the next human. No, I didn't list a tent in my survival gear, but a space blanket could suffice.

Tom