2-33 Wanted

Old July 26th 16, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 2-33 Wanted

New club forming and needs a 2-33

Please call 972-754-1893

Jim Callaway
Old July 26th 16, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 5:45:11 AM UTC+12, wrote:
New club forming and needs a 2-33

Noooooooo.

35 or 40 year old Grob twins are pretty cheap at this point, and infinitely better.
Old July 26th 16, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fox Two[_2_]

Agreed! ANYTHING but a 2-33!
Old July 26th 16, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, July 26, 2016 at 3:44:42 PM UTC-4, Fox Two wrote:
Agreed! ANYTHING but a 2-33!

Ever note how many 2-33's stay for sale very long?
Or even how many show up for sale.
Reason- They are working and keep on working.
We operate 2-33's in our club and they fly pretty much all day.
The alternative of a Grob twin that is 35 years old and likely will need a refinish is not quite as attractive as one might think, especially at twice the cost.
UH
Old July 26th 16, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ever note how many 2-33's stay for sale very long?
Or even how many show up for sale.

- Ever wondered how many people turned away from joining clubs and away from soaring because they weren't interested in muscle-fliers? I know a few...

GK
Old July 26th 16, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Ever wondered why "basic learners" dropped out of soaring because they, "learned in glass" but didn't want to move to something they could afford or felt like they made a "back step"?
Hmmmmmmm?

Part of why we do primary in a 2-33, solo, then 1-26, then move to 1-34. Yes, at some point the ASK-21 comes in, but fly first, learn to find/use thermals second, move from there.

My perspective since the early '70's, still valid in lots of places in the US today.
Old July 27th 16, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Oh, BTW, almost ANY A&P in the US can fix an aluminum/"tube and fabric" glider when it gets pranged, glass/composite is usually a waiting list and NOT local.
Old July 27th 16, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

Ever note how many 2-33's stay for sale very long? Or even how many show
up for sale.

- Ever wondered how many people turned away from joining clubs and away
from soaring because they weren't interested in muscle-fliers? I know a
few...

Geez, is it winter already in the northern hemisphere? Let the religious wars
begin!

BTW, I don't know the O.P., but as he's a 2-diamond pilot from the mid/late
1970s (SSA member database; I checked), I reckon he's well aware of the pros &
cons of whatever ship he's/they're seeking for a new club startup. Personally,
I hope he finds what he's looking for, and that new club can grow into lasting
health!

Bob W.

P.S. Please send $100, cash preferred, to learn my opinion on club decisions
about which I know pretty much nothing.
Old July 27th 16, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Tuesday, 26 July 2016 11:45:11 UTC-6, wrote:
New club forming and needs a 2-33

Please call 972-754-1893

Jim Callaway

est of luck finding the glider/equipment you need and CONGRATULATIONS on forming a new club. We need more participation in the sport and it begins at the local level
Old July 27th 16, 10:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 10:56:28 AM UTC+12, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Ever wondered why "basic learners" dropped out of soaring because they, "learned in glass" but didn't want to move to something they could afford or felt like they made a "back step"?
Hmmmmmmm?

No, in fact I've never observed that.

The largest cost in any beginner's gliding is the aerotows. The glider which gives you the most time in the air is better value even if it cost a little more. And that's glass in all but the most benign CUs-popping-everywhere windless flat land conditions.

Why I've seen people drop out is inability to do anything but float around the home field, and gliders with decent performance existing in the club but not available until you've done a gazillion hours despite them NOT ACTUALLY BEING ANY MORE DIFFICULT TO FLY (just a little different).

When I learned to fly, I literally dropped out for a number of years because of a requirement to accumulate I think 30 hours solo in the over-booked Blaniks before progressing to a single seater.

Now, with the club training in DG1000, people are let lose in a glass single seater after five solo flights and five hours -- which come up very easily.

I visited a busy field in the US in 2004 wanting to fly. All the 2-33's were busy so I suggested taking one of the half dozen Grobs that were tied down -- and in which I'd been passenger rated for a decade in NZ. I was told it was impossible because none of the ten INSTRUCTORS present on the field was rated in the Grob. WTF. Also I wanted to overfly another town about 20 km away, but was told "We don't do cross country on rides".

Luckily there was another operation nearby which was happy to take my money for a flight in an ASK21. First thermal off tow took us to 11000 ft and we cruised over to my desired photo destination and back without taking another turn.

Wanted: Used SN-10B WE Soaring 0 February 22nd 08 01:54 PM
All I wanted to do is try to fly on a 747!!! Ted[_2_] Piloting 67 January 31st 08 07:10 PM
2-33 wanted Kurt Soaring 1 February 13th 04 02:55 PM
Wanted to buy ASW 15, LS 1 Chuck Lohre Soaring 0 January 9th 04 07:10 AM
GPS-NAV WANTED Clive Hadley Soaring 0 January 1st 04 11:38 PM