A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

EFIS in Gliders

Old August 3rd 16, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default EFIS in Gliders

Google, Dynon and probably others are offering low-cost instruments such as this one for the Experimental market:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod514383.html
Since the G5 includes attitude information it would be illegal under current rules to take it to a glider contest, but... What we have here in a very compact 3 1/8" space is all the flight data you need including airspeed, altitude, heading information, vertical speed and slip/skid. The built-in GPS will indicate ground speed and of course you have attitude info. I wonder if this would satisfy regulations as a stand-alone basic instrument. You would only have to add a vario, flight computer, radio and transponder (PFlarm integrated in moving map) for a very compact panel. Redundant altitude info would come from the vario/gsp which also today often displays airspeed if so desired.
With back-up batteries, what could go wrong?
Herb
Old August 3rd 16, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default EFIS in Gliders

Herb

The FAA.
Old August 3rd 16, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default EFIS in Gliders

On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 8:47:16 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Google, Dynon and probably others are offering low-cost instruments such as this one for the Experimental market:
Since the G5 includes attitude information it would be illegal under current rules to take it to a glider contest, but... What we have here in a very compact 3 1/8" space is all the flight data you need including airspeed, altitude, heading information, vertical speed and slip/skid. The built-in GPS will indicate ground speed and of course you have attitude info. I wonder if this would satisfy regulations as a stand-alone basic instrument. You would only have to add a vario, flight computer, radio and transponder (PFlarm integrated in moving map) for a very compact panel. Redundant altitude info would come from the vario/gsp which also today often displays airspeed if so desired.
Herb

Interesting instrument. Now, does anyone know if this device would be legal for use in the USA for an experimental glider and could this device be used as a replacement for an ASI and and altimeter?
Thanks - Renny
Old August 3rd 16, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default EFIS in Gliders

Short-circuit? Yeah a fuse will blow, but you loose it all.

I would love to see avionics be allowed as primary instruments, but some electrical plumbing is too bad to be reliable.

I think some two - seaters allow the second seat not to contain certified instruments. Schempp hirth, if I'm not mistaken.
Old August 3rd 16, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default EFIS in Gliders

My Stemme came equipped with a Dynon D10a and I love it! It's so much
easier to read indicated airspeed and altitude on the digital displays
plus there tape indications of airspeed and altitude, clock, stall
warning, and probably many other features which I just haven't looked at
yet. I still use my 57mm airspeed indicator, but the little altimeter
is a pain to read.

On 8/3/2016 8:47 AM, wrote:
Herb

--
Dan, 5J
Old August 3rd 16, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston
external usenet poster

Default EFIS in Gliders

On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 2:07:11 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
is a pain to read.

On 8/3/2016 8:47 AM,
Herb

--
Dan, 5J

Garmin lists the G5 as a Primary Flight Instrument. For experimental gliders without specific equipment lists it should be fine to replace the steam gauges (at least that's the way I'm reading Part 23 regs). It may well be more complicated than that & I'd definitely want the battery backup. It's a pretty attractive option, especially having the AHRS.

Craig
7Q
Old August 4th 16, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]
external usenet poster

Default EFIS in Gliders

On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 3:26:11 PM UTC-7, Craig Funston wrote:
is a pain to read.

Herb

--
Dan, 5J

Garmin lists the G5 as a Primary Flight Instrument. For experimental gliders without specific equipment lists it should be fine to replace the steam gauges (at least that's the way I'm reading Part 23 regs). It may well be more complicated than that & I'd definitely want the battery backup. It's a pretty attractive option, especially having the AHRS.

Craig
7Q

Craig,

The LXNAV S100 has all the features of the Garmin , including an AHRS, in addition IGC approved flight recorder, speed to fly vario, simple navigation tasking and GOTO turnpoints.

I fly with an S8 the smaller version. PowerFlarm-S8-Ultimate Le. I also use it for my altimeter.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old August 4th 16, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default EFIS in Gliders

Craig
7Q

You referee to what specific FAR Part 23 paragraph?

Old August 4th 16, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston
external usenet poster

Default EFIS in Gliders

On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 4:50:35 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Craig
7Q

You referee to what specific FAR Part 23 paragraph?

Old August 4th 16, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston
external usenet poster

Default EFIS in Gliders

On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 4:24:57 PM UTC-7, Richard wrote:
On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 3:26:11 PM UTC-7, Craig Funston wrote:
is a pain to read.

Herb

--
Dan, 5J

Craig
7Q

Craig,

The LXNAV S100 has all the features of the Garmin , including an AHRS, in addition IGC approved flight recorder, speed to fly vario, simple navigation tasking and GOTO turnpoints.

I fly with an S8 the smaller version. PowerFlarm-S8-Ultimate Le. I also use it for my altimeter.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Thanks Richard. The S100 does look like a better option a sailplane panel.

Craig