Textbook Belly landing at PDK

Old November 17th 05, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Textbook Belly landing at PDK

And as usual, the media- esse tried to hype it, but the reporter from
the copter really did a good job explaining.

The pilot skimmed it in just perfect. No problem.
Oh, this was live TV...

~D
Old November 17th 05, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dave wrote on 11/17/05 09:15:

And as usual, the media- esse tried to hype it, but the reporter from
the copter really did a good job explaining.

The pilot skimmed it in just perfect. No problem.
Oh, this was live TV...

Yeah, must be a slow news day when CNN covers a gear problem and belly landing
of a King Air live...

-Joe

Old November 17th 05, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Joe Feise wrote:

Yeah, must be a slow news day when CNN covers a gear problem and belly landing
of a King Air live...

It wasn't just CNN, FOX and MSNBC were also covering it. Sure was a
smooth landing. Seemed to hang a bit though, I guess ground effect is
pretty huge when the wing is only a foot off the ground.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com
Old November 17th 05, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Actually was at Fulton County (Brown Field) - KFTY. PDK & FTY are the
two big GA airports in Atlanta.

Old November 17th 05, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Chris W" wrote in message
Joe Feise wrote:

Yeah, must be a slow news day when CNN covers a gear problem and belly
landing
of a King Air live...

It wasn't just CNN, FOX and MSNBC were also covering it. Sure was a
smooth landing. Seemed to hang a bit though, I guess ground effect is
pretty huge when the wing is only a foot off the ground.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

He was carrying extra speed to fly it onto the runway, which he did
perfectly.
The REAL smooth job of flying with this incident wasn't really the landing,
but rather the earlier touch and go on the left main. He had to hold up the
right wing as he tried to get a little bounce on the left main trying to jar
the right side retaining latches loose. That's a mean trick, and takes a
good stick to pull it off without dropping the wing down far enough to catch
the prop tips. It didn't work, but he got through the try without dinging
it.
He did a good job all around I would say.
Dudley Henriques

Old November 19th 05, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dudley

Did you notice he had at least the port engine shut down. Couldn't
tell from camera angle but may not have gotten the prop(s).
In ny event, Good job.

Big John
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````

Old November 19th 05, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Hi BJ;
Hope all has been well with you and yours.
I just sort of caught this whole thing on the fly, as we were going out the
door as it was happening :-)
Are you referring to the gear bounce pass or the final belly in John? I did
catch a short replay later on that evening.
On the final landing it looked like he went to idle cut off on both fans
going into the flare but from the view angle it was hard to tell. I'm
assuming he caught at least two blades out of the four on each side as he
settled in but the camera angle was quartering rear which hid everything
under the plane after the slide.
On the bounce pass, I was just assuming he had both fans up. Did he have the
left engine zeroed? Wasn't the port side the side with the gear down?
Why would he zero the port engine?
It looked like the bounce pass was done above the blue line anyway, but I
sure wouldn't have tried that pass with the left engine down......of course
it wasn't my call, but to me that would seem strange??????
Dudley

Old November 20th 05, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dudley

I'm sure he had both turning on the bounce pass even though I did not
see on tube.

Ability to control A/C on single engine at the speed to bounce the
good gear would be a shaky operation even for an expert.

We had a number of stuck gears in AF that I knew of first hand and the
odds of getting out of wheel well was much less than 25% on a bounce
pass.

I wonder if anyone is near the field and could get us a damage report.
If he didn't get the props they should have lifted the bird up and he
could have flown back to home base (maybe with gear pined down if
problem was not a quick fix).

Bottom line is a dam good job and coolness under pressure. Touch down
attitude and air speed could not have been better.

On my health. It's been poorly. Age catches up with us all eventually
( Not a spring chicken anymore.

Big John
```````````````````````````````````````````````

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 21:25:49 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old November 20th 05, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Big John" wrote in message
Dudley

I'm sure he had both turning on the bounce pass even though I did not
see on tube.

Ability to control A/C on single engine at the speed to bounce the
good gear would be a shaky operation even for an expert.

My thinking as well :-))

We had a number of stuck gears in AF that I knew of first hand and the
odds of getting out of wheel well was much less than 25% on a bounce
pass.

The standard procedure in the 51 was to yaw the hell out it then try a high
g pullout to free the latch. I watched Hoover put his down on one foot at
Transpo in 72. He didn't even scratch the prop!! They had it flying again
that week. I was managing Miss America for Howie Keefe that week and we
loaned Hoover Miss America so he could do his show. :-)

I wonder if anyone is near the field and could get us a damage report.
If he didn't get the props they should have lifted the bird up and he
could have flown back to home base (maybe with gear pined down if
problem was not a quick fix).

I've never flown the King, but with four blades on each engine, I would
think he HAD to ding at least two on each side.

Bottom line is a dam good job and coolness under pressure. Touch down
attitude and air speed could not have been better.

I agree. In watching the landing, I could tell he was flying it on rather
than simply increasing the angle of attack into the touchdown. A real smooth
job.
I actually couldn't tell the instant he put it on the ground :-))

On my health. It's been poorly. Age catches up with us all eventually
( Not a spring chicken anymore.

I'm sorry to hear that John. I hope things get better for you. I've just had
a 4 level lumbar laminectomy myself.
I agree, it's no damn fun getting old is it? :-))))))))))))
Dudley

Big John

wrote:

[...]

. ..