Takeoff/stall tests today w/VG's...

Old January 24th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_3_]

Default Takeoff/stall tests today w/VG's...

OK.. for those who may be interested..

PA 28 -151 Warrior, Mattison seals & VG's, AMD upswept tips, K2U Root
fairings......

TOW 1986 (28 gals)

Pres, 29.47

Rny 68 ASL, Paved ,330 deg

Wind, 3 knts 080

Temp -6 Deg C

Rolling start (Mattison procedure)

Flaps down (25deg) at 40 knts

Wheels off rny, 450-475 feet, watched the 500 ft rny marker go under
10+ feet below us.

Repeatable.

At 3000 ft, Pwr off stalls with full flaps, and 2 knotches, confirmed
at 40 knts indicated

Stall with 2 notches flap, full power,(simulated departure stall) -
aircraft seems to "hang" on prop shaking badly with a boot full of
right rudder, yoke WAY back, stall horn yelping, but no break. Relaxed
back pressure, instantly steady and climbing again.

With this load/wind, we are now adjusting our approach speed down by 4
knts and IF I planted on the numbers, moderate braking (no squeaking
the tires) stopped us before the 500 ft rny marker every time.

Some expirementing .. if I could get the stall horn to start to squeak
at the threshold I could lessen the "float" through the flare and
touching down with the horn on. Stopped that time about 450 ft.

Sure is a different airplane!

Dave

Old January 24th 07, 12:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Sure is a different airplane!

Sounds awesome!

Now, if only they could do something about how sharp those little
suckers are, and how hard they are to clean around... You're gonna
need a mushroom brush, lots of Lemon Pledge, and some extra time to
keep those wings clean.

Anyone make VGs that retract like little speed brakes?

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 24th 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Dave wrote:
TOW 1986 (28 gals)

With this load/wind, we are now adjusting our approach speed down by 4
knts and IF I planted on the numbers, moderate braking (no squeaking
the tires) stopped us before the 500 ft rny marker every time.

Q1: Is 1986 the a/c max gross weight?

Q2: How did you arrive at the 4 kts number?
Old January 24th 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Dave wrote:

Flaps down (25deg) at 40 knts

Now go and fly final at 45 knots. That should put the aircraft slightly
nose high. Let it fly right into the ground at that speed and attitude.
I used that all the time with the 182.
Old January 25th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_3_]

That would be nice!

I DID smooth of the edges/corners before painting.

Remember, we have only 4 on each side, not the mod with them all the
way out the wing...

I posted some pix on the Cherokee chat....

Cheers!

Dave

Old January 25th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_3_]

Hi John!

Q 1-- No gross is 2325 lbs....

Q 2 - Lotsa stalls , before and after installation, under the most
controlled conditions we could manage.

The mods have lowered our stall speed, at all flap settings, by at
least 4 knts, so were are adjusting our approach speeds
accordingly....

Dave

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 13:49:14 +0000, john smith wrote:

TOW 1986 (28 gals)