LK8000 questions

Old March 11th 10, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default LK8000 questions

I have looked at the LK8000 video and browsed some of the forum
threads.

Would someone please tell me:

Where can I find list of supported hardware devices?

Where can I go to download PC and target hardware apps?

thanks

Andy
Old March 11th 10, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Andy,

The LK8000 software in still in beta and only approved beta-testers
have access to the software. The changes cycles are very short!
Documentation is NOT keeping up with the changes. As result the
developer is not ready to be dealing with what are in fact simple
questions that would normally be answered in the standard
documentation. The choice is either work on the code or the
documentation and he has chosen the code. As the development cycle
slows I think the documentation will get the attention and the overall
usability of the software will become available.

If you want to follow along with the development and general interest,
here is the forum link:

http://www.postfrontal.com/forum/default.asp?CAT_ID=11

I have offered to assist in the creation of a wiki documentation, Real-
Soon-Now.

Mike
Old March 12th 10, 08:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TRKA

On 11 Mrz., 22:21, SoaringXCellence wrote:
[...]

Mike this is absolutly not true what you are saying!!!! How could you
write that when you dont know it really.
Every feature and every bugfix is well documentated and there is a
great manual!
www.bware.it/xcsoar
Old March 12th 10, 08:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TRKA

http://www.bware.it/LK8000/
Old March 12th 10, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

On Mar 11, 11:42*pm, TRKA wrote:
On 12 Mrz., 08:40, TRKA wrote:

[...]

http://www.bware.it/LK8000/- Hide quoted text -

TRKA,

Just after I wrote it I went up to the forum and saw that Paul had
posted a new manual. My applogies.

Mike
Old March 12th 10, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 12, 12:42*am, TRKA wrote:

Mike this is absolutly not true what you are saying!!!! How could you
write that when you dont know it really.
Every feature and every bugfix is well documentated and there is a
great manual!www.bware.it/xcsoar

Unless I completely misunderstood Mike's post he was saying that the
LK8000 development team has found and fixed bugs in the XCSoar code.
I don't see how that detracts in any way from the XCSoar team's
documentation of known bugs and fixes.

I don't know the exact relationship between LK8000 and XCSoar source
code, or the present and past relationships between the developers. I
do hope, however, that if developers of XCSoar derivatives find bugs
in the baseline XCSoar code that the various development teams will
work together to share information so all end users of either product
will benefit.

Thanks to both teams for their work on what appears to be very
interesting software.

Andy

Old March 12th 10, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Wyld[_2_]

"Andy" wrote in message
On Mar 12, 12:42 am, TRKA wrote:

[...]

I'm sure it's going to be wonderful, I just wish it would get released!

Any chance of a WinCE 6.0 version ??
The reason I ask is that XCSoar 5.2.4. dies on startup with an application
error, previous versions just do nothing !

Keep up the great work guys, I know it's going to be good!

Old March 12th 10, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Mar 12, 10:29*am, "Peter Wyld" wrote:
Any chance of a WinCE 6.0 version ??
The reason I ask is that XCSoar 5.2.4. dies on startup with an application
error, previous versions just do nothing !

Peter -

Check out the PostFrontal website forums for the LK8000. The latest
beta version is working on CE 6.0 devices, AFAIK.

As a longtime XCSoar user (and an IT professional who's seen many
individual programming efforts fail over the years), I was skeptical
at first. However, I have spent the last 2 days intensively reading
the forums (and the new Manual that was just released) - and I am very
much impressed with what has been done. I just joined the test
program and have spend all of 30 minutes fiddling with the PC/
Simulator version.

Flying with LK8000 will require a little bit of an adjustment from
XCSoar; but after spending a little bit of time with it I am finding
that most of the changes in the UI are good. LK8000 sort of assumes
you'll flip away from the moving map (to the all-text "Infopages"),
when you want detailed info on things... At first I found this
annoying because I like seeing the map 100% of the time; I believe the
human brain can interpret simple shapes and colors much faster and
more intuitively than letters and numbers. But at the same time, the
data overlays on top of the main map view are more intelligently
displayed and filtered - so I'm finding that the need to look at
"Infopages" is less than I anticipated. The enhancements to land-out
options and glide calculations (explained at the end of the new
manual) are certainly very nice!

I should take my first flight with the software in about 2 weeks (I've
got my commercial license checkride in the interim). I will try to
post back here with my impressions, once I've got the software
actually up in the air in my DG-300!

--Noel

Old March 14th 10, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PCool

Yes, the 1.20 version I have released yesterday works even on CE CORE 6
devices.
And although it was supposed to be installed only by a very limited number
of betatesters (the core development and alpha testing is 9 people), I was
surprised to discover that many aeroclubs are just adopting the software for
all pilots, doing an internal distribution of it under their own
responsability.

I think this is the very first time something like this is happening.

Paolo

Old March 15th 10, 12:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Wyld[_2_]

Whoopee! Yes, 1.20 works on my cheap chinese WinCE 6.0 PNA (after a bit of
a struggle, but I got there eventually) Now I'll see if I can navigate with
it!

Great stuff Paolo, thanks!

"PCool" wrote in message
[...]

New LK8000 glide computer video PCool Soaring 6 October 12th 09 06:19 PM
Some questions.... [email protected] Piloting 7 August 14th 06 02:49 AM
PMA Questions Mike Granby Piloting 24 December 12th 05 12:24 AM
Mig-29 questions & general aviation questions 2003 Steven Military Aviation 1 October 20th 03 06:06 AM
Seven Questions For Michael Moore from a Blogger (was Questions for Mr. Bush, from Michael Moore) Jim Yanik Military Aviation 2 October 9th 03 09:36 PM