Pegasus Life span in USA

Old October 15th 13, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Cook[_2_]

Default Pegasus Life span in USA

Is it still limited to 3000 hours?

Anyway to get an extension in USA?

Last info I can search is 2010..

Cookie

Old October 15th 13, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

On Monday, October 14, 2013 5:35:14 PM UTC-7, Cookie wrote:
Is it still limited to 3000 hours?

Anyway to get an extension in USA?

Last info I can search is 2010..

Cookie

Yup, still limited, and with the FAA shutdown you can't even check on the current status.

As I understand it, there is a dispute between the Centrair and the FAA about something, and Centrair just wants to wash their hands of anything going on in the USA.

I have a friend with a 101a that I just love to fly. Fortunately it's far from the 3000 hr. limit.
Old October 15th 13, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk

Shame. On this (European) side of the pond we're flying them a lot longer,
legally. Ours is now past 5000 hours.

Old October 15th 13, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Cook[_2_]

I wonder...Could we run up the hours in USA to 3000...then sell the glider
to somebody in Europe?

What's the going price in Europe for a nice Pegasus?

Cookie

Old October 15th 13, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

Actually, there is some progress being made on the Pegasus Life Limit AD. Without going into too much detail on RAS, airshow pilot and jet sailplane developer Bob Carlton and myself have done quite a bit of research into the origin of the AD and how it was enacted by the FAA. There are a number of issues that raise questions as to the actual validity and legality of the AD.. These questions and other factors certainly raise the possibility of an acceptable solution, but dealing with the FAA is a glacial process.

To get an idea of the scope of Bob’s research, we have recently started a website that links virtually all of the known data we have in one place. Check out www.savethepegasus.org to access the documentation. Note that this website is only a couple of weeks old, and some sections are not active, or are incomplete. The “Petition to Rescind” and the “Timeline” are the most complete, and have extensive links to FAA regulations, Centrair emails, Administrative Law, technical data from OSTIV and a myriad of other sources that have bearing on the continuing airworthiness of Pegasus gliders past the FAA AD limit of 3,000 hours.

Pegasus owners should be grateful to Bob Carlton for taking hundreds of hours of time to research and compile this information and talk to various FAA officials in an attempt to resolve the issue.
Old October 15th 13, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Cook[_2_]

Wow! good news!

Thanks

Cookie

=
origin of the AD and how it was enacted by the FAA. There are a number of
i=
ssues that raise questions as to the actual validity and legality of the
AD=
.. These questions and other factors certainly raise the possibility of

an
a=
cceptable solution, but dealing with the FAA is a glacial process.

To get an idea of the scope of Bob=92s research, we have recently started
a=
website that links virtually all of the known data we have in one place.
C=
heck out www.savethepegasus.org to access the documentation. Note that
this=
website is only a couple of weeks old, and some sections are not active,
o=
r are incomplete. The =93Petition to Rescind=94 and the =93Timeline=94

are
=

Old October 15th 13, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:33:14 AM UTC-5, Mark628CA wrote:
[...]

Yes, Fantastic news!
Old October 15th 13, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
M North

That is good news.
Can we get Bob interested in the Blanik L-13 next?
Old October 15th 13, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk

At 13:49 15 October 2013, Bob Cook wrote:
I wonder...Could we run up the hours in USA to 3000...then sell the glide
to somebody in Europe?

What's the going price in Europe for a nice Pegasus?

Cookie

Yes you can. And some owners have already. Going rate is around 15-20K
Euros for a decent one with a closed trailer, registered in a EU-country,
depending on finish and instrumentation. There's a catch however: they need
to be factory-stock in order to be registered. I.e. no home-made parts
(including instrument panels and the like!), no major mods that are
sometimes done under the experimental category but cannot fly in Europe,
etc. And European AD's sometimes vary wildly from mandatory US ones, so it
is not uncommon to find imported US gliders needing backlogs of SB's and
AD's done in order to pass European inspection. This has fooled owners
importing gliders from outside the EU before... So: get qualified advice
before you do put yours on a boat across the pond.

Old October 16th 13, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Cook[_2_]

Thanks for the info...gives us another possibility!

Cookie

At 19:38 15 October 2013, Eric Munk wrote:
[...]

What's the deal with 20 year life span on chutes? Gary[_5_] Soaring 25 July 7th 11 09:28 PM
Pegasus Service Life? El Alumbrado Soaring 5 September 20th 07 10:39 PM
Pegasus life limit 01-- Zero One Soaring 3 April 4th 06 02:20 PM
Pegasus life limit Mark628CA Soaring 2 March 30th 06 10:37 PM
Windsock Life Span Corky Scott Home Built 9 September 1st 03 12:24 PM