A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Pegasus Life span in USA



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 15th 13, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Cook[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 83
Default Pegasus Life span in USA

Is it still limited to 3000 hours?

Anyway to get an extension in USA?

Last info I can search is 2010..


Cookie





Ads
  #2  
Old October 15th 13, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 385
Default Pegasus Life span in USA

On Monday, October 14, 2013 5:35:14 PM UTC-7, Cookie wrote:
Is it still limited to 3000 hours?



Anyway to get an extension in USA?



Last info I can search is 2010..





Cookie


Yup, still limited, and with the FAA shutdown you can't even check on the current status.

As I understand it, there is a dispute between the Centrair and the FAA about something, and Centrair just wants to wash their hands of anything going on in the USA.

I have a friend with a 101a that I just love to fly. Fortunately it's far from the 3000 hr. limit.
  #3  
Old October 15th 13, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 179
Default Pegasus Life span in USA

Shame. On this (European) side of the pond we're flying them a lot longer,
legally. Ours is now past 5000 hours.

At 04:18 15 October 2013, SoaringXCellence wrote:
On Monday, October 14, 2013 5:35:14 PM UTC-7, Cookie wrote:
Is it still limited to 3000 hours?



Anyway to get an extension in USA?



Last info I can search is 2010..





Cookie


Yup, still limited, and with the FAA shutdown you can't even check on the
current status.

As I understand it, there is a dispute between the Centrair and the FAA
about something, and Centrair just wants to wash their hands of anything
going on in the USA.

I have a friend with a 101a that I just love to fly. Fortunately it's far
from the 3000 hr. limit.


  #4  
Old October 15th 13, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Cook[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 83
Default Pegasus Life span in USA

I wonder...Could we run up the hours in USA to 3000...then sell the glider
to somebody in Europe?

What's the going price in Europe for a nice Pegasus?


Cookie





At 13:13 15 October 2013, Eric Munk wrote:
Shame. On this (European) side of the pond we're flying them a lot

longer,
legally. Ours is now past 5000 hours.

At 04:18 15 October 2013, SoaringXCellence wrote:
On Monday, October 14, 2013 5:35:14 PM UTC-7, Cookie wrote:
Is it still limited to 3000 hours?



Anyway to get an extension in USA?



Last info I can search is 2010..





Cookie


Yup, still limited, and with the FAA shutdown you can't even check on

the
current status.

As I understand it, there is a dispute between the Centrair and the FAA
about something, and Centrair just wants to wash their hands of anything
going on in the USA.

I have a friend with a 101a that I just love to fly. Fortunately it's

far
from the 3000 hr. limit.




  #5  
Old October 15th 13, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 145
Default Pegasus Life span in USA

Actually, there is some progress being made on the Pegasus Life Limit AD. Without going into too much detail on RAS, airshow pilot and jet sailplane developer Bob Carlton and myself have done quite a bit of research into the origin of the AD and how it was enacted by the FAA. There are a number of issues that raise questions as to the actual validity and legality of the AD.. These questions and other factors certainly raise the possibility of an acceptable solution, but dealing with the FAA is a glacial process.

To get an idea of the scope of Bob’s research, we have recently started a website that links virtually all of the known data we have in one place. Check out www.savethepegasus.org to access the documentation. Note that this website is only a couple of weeks old, and some sections are not active, or are incomplete. The “Petition to Rescind” and the “Timeline” are the most complete, and have extensive links to FAA regulations, Centrair emails, Administrative Law, technical data from OSTIV and a myriad of other sources that have bearing on the continuing airworthiness of Pegasus gliders past the FAA AD limit of 3,000 hours.

Pegasus owners should be grateful to Bob Carlton for taking hundreds of hours of time to research and compile this information and talk to various FAA officials in an attempt to resolve the issue.
  #6  
Old October 15th 13, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Cook[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 83
Default Pegasus Life span in USA


Wow! good news!

Thanks


Cookie





At 15:33 15 October 2013, Mark628CA wrote:
Actually, there is some progress being made on the Pegasus Life Limit AD.
W=
ithout going into too much detail on RAS, airshow pilot and jet sailplane
d=
eveloper Bob Carlton and myself have done quite a bit of research into

the
=
origin of the AD and how it was enacted by the FAA. There are a number of
i=
ssues that raise questions as to the actual validity and legality of the
AD=
.. These questions and other factors certainly raise the possibility of

an
a=
cceptable solution, but dealing with the FAA is a glacial process.

To get an idea of the scope of Bob=92s research, we have recently started
a=
website that links virtually all of the known data we have in one place.
C=
heck out www.savethepegasus.org to access the documentation. Note that
this=
website is only a couple of weeks old, and some sections are not active,
o=
r are incomplete. The =93Petition to Rescind=94 and the =93Timeline=94

are
=
the most complete, and have extensive links to FAA regulations, Centrair
em=
ails, Administrative Law, technical data from OSTIV and a myriad of other
s=
ources that have bearing on the continuing airworthiness of Pegasus
gliders=
past the FAA AD limit of 3,000 hours.

Pegasus owners should be grateful to Bob Carlton for taking hundreds of
hou=
rs of time to research and compile this information and talk to various
FAA=
officials in an attempt to resolve the issue.


  #7  
Old October 15th 13, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 385
Default Pegasus Life span in USA

On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:33:14 AM UTC-5, Mark628CA wrote:
Actually, there is some progress being made on the Pegasus Life Limit AD. Without going into too much detail on RAS, airshow pilot and jet sailplane developer Bob Carlton and myself have done quite a bit of research into the origin of the AD and how it was enacted by the FAA. There are a number of issues that raise questions as to the actual validity and legality of the AD. These questions and other factors certainly raise the possibility of an acceptable solution, but dealing with the FAA is a glacial process.



To get an idea of the scope of Bob’s research, we have recently started a website that links virtually all of the known data we have in one place. Check out www.savethepegasus.org to access the documentation. Note that this website is only a couple of weeks old, and some sections are not active, or are incomplete. The “Petition to Rescind” and the “Timeline” are the most complete, and have extensive links to FAA regulations, Centrair emails, Administrative Law, technical data from OSTIV and a myriad of other sources that have bearing on the continuing airworthiness of Pegasus gliders past the FAA AD limit of 3,000 hours.



Pegasus owners should be grateful to Bob Carlton for taking hundreds of hours of time to research and compile this information and talk to various FAA officials in an attempt to resolve the issue.


Yes, Fantastic news!
  #8  
Old October 15th 13, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
M North
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14
Default Pegasus Life span in USA

That is good news.
Can we get Bob interested in the Blanik L-13 next?
  #9  
Old October 15th 13, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 179
Default Pegasus Life span in USA

At 13:49 15 October 2013, Bob Cook wrote:
I wonder...Could we run up the hours in USA to 3000...then sell the glide
to somebody in Europe?

What's the going price in Europe for a nice Pegasus?


Cookie


Yes you can. And some owners have already. Going rate is around 15-20K
Euros for a decent one with a closed trailer, registered in a EU-country,
depending on finish and instrumentation. There's a catch however: they need
to be factory-stock in order to be registered. I.e. no home-made parts
(including instrument panels and the like!), no major mods that are
sometimes done under the experimental category but cannot fly in Europe,
etc. And European AD's sometimes vary wildly from mandatory US ones, so it
is not uncommon to find imported US gliders needing backlogs of SB's and
AD's done in order to pass European inspection. This has fooled owners
importing gliders from outside the EU before... So: get qualified advice
before you do put yours on a boat across the pond.

  #10  
Old October 16th 13, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Cook[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 83
Default Pegasus Life span in USA

Thanks for the info...gives us another possibility!


Cookie



At 19:38 15 October 2013, Eric Munk wrote:
At 13:49 15 October 2013, Bob Cook wrote:
I wonder...Could we run up the hours in USA to 3000...then sell the

glide
to somebody in Europe?

What's the going price in Europe for a nice Pegasus?


Cookie


Yes you can. And some owners have already. Going rate is around 15-20K
Euros for a decent one with a closed trailer, registered in a EU-country,
depending on finish and instrumentation. There's a catch however: they

need
to be factory-stock in order to be registered. I.e. no home-made parts
(including instrument panels and the like!), no major mods that are
sometimes done under the experimental category but cannot fly in Europe,
etc. And European AD's sometimes vary wildly from mandatory US ones, so

it
is not uncommon to find imported US gliders needing backlogs of SB's and
AD's done in order to pass European inspection. This has fooled owners
importing gliders from outside the EU before... So: get qualified advice
before you do put yours on a boat across the pond.



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's the deal with 20 year life span on chutes? Gary[_5_] Soaring 25 July 7th 11 09:28 PM
Pegasus Service Life? El Alumbrado Soaring 5 September 20th 07 10:39 PM
Pegasus life limit 01-- Zero One Soaring 3 April 4th 06 02:20 PM
Pegasus life limit Mark628CA Soaring 2 March 30th 06 10:37 PM
Windsock Life Span Corky Scott Home Built 9 September 1st 03 12:24 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2022 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.