Where do you find places to fly?

Old July 8th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Where do you find places to fly?

Here we sit, with a scheduled afternoon off, an airplane full of gas
-- and no plans.

It's gonna be hotter than blazes, so we don't want to do our "Schmooze
the FBO and have a picnic in the grass" thing (that we do when we want
to spread the Good Word about our aviation-themed hotel to an airport
that doesn't have a restaurant) -- we're gonna need food, preferably
in airconditioned comfort.

I've used http://www.funplacestofly.com/ in the past to find cool
stuff to do, and our state website does SOME of this kind of stuff --
but what do you use to find fun places to fly?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 8th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Travis Marlatte

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...

but what do you use to find fun places to fly?
--
Jay Honeck

I wait for you to post about your trips...
-------------------------------
Travis
Lake N3094P
PWK

Old July 8th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
Here we sit, with a scheduled afternoon off, an airplane full of gas
-- and no plans.

It's gonna be hotter than blazes, so we don't want to do our "Schmooze
the FBO and have a picnic in the grass" thing (that we do when we want
to spread the Good Word about our aviation-themed hotel to an airport
that doesn't have a restaurant) -- we're gonna need food, preferably
in airconditioned comfort.

I've used http://www.funplacestofly.com/ in the past to find cool
stuff to do, and our state website does SOME of this kind of stuff --
but what do you use to find fun places to fly?

Whereever the RE market takes me.

And having A/C now makes it more than tolerable. :~)

--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC.

Old July 8th 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Jay Honeck wrote:
Here we sit, with a scheduled afternoon off, an airplane full of gas
-- and no plans.

We just got back from a weekend in Nashville. Nice having an airplane
in order to make a trip from Savannah to Nashville a simple weekend
trip (2.5 hours there, 2.3 on the way back). Had to file IFR though,
and go up to 11,000 to get over some big weather activity but the
weather in Nashville was outstanding.

Nashville is a great town, we plan to go back and spend more time in
the fall. It takes more than a weekend to do everything there is to be
done.
Old July 8th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns

Which airport did you use at Nashville?
Last time we were there, we used Smyrna, TN, thinking that BNA would be a
madhouse.
Jim

Old July 8th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jack Allison

Travis Marlatte wrote:

I wait for you to post about your trips...

Yeah...I wish Jay would do more flying out here on the Left Coast so he
could scout out some good spots! :-)
Old July 8th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Travis Marlatte" wrote in message
et...
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...

but what do you use to find fun places to fly?
--
Jay Honeck

I wait for you to post about your trips...

Funny...

But, why do you have to GO somewhere? I used to just go up and dink around -
I could spend an hour in the pattern just perfecting spot landings or
whatever I felt like that day. Now that you have a student in the family -
why not let him show you what he has been learning? He won't break the
airplane - trust me.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old July 9th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Frank Ch. Eigler

"Jim Burns" writes:

Which airport did you use at Nashville? Last time we were there, we
used Smyrna, TN, thinking that BNA would be a madhouse.

KBNA just fine last time I visited in summer 2006 (evening rush hour
arriving, early morning departure, IFR).

- FChE
Old July 9th 07, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_5_]

Try this one:

http://www.brakesoff.com/by_state.php

No guarantees - the site is kind of new, but is improving. Add your
own comments about airports you have knowledge of.

David Johnson

Old July 9th 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Yeah...I wish Jay would do more flying out here on the Left Coast so he
could scout out some good spots! :-)

Well, no Left Coast -- but we DID end up flying to Quincy, Illinois
today. (Yep, the same airport where the airliner and commuter met at
intersecting runways a few years ago, with disastrous results.)

Why Quincy? Two reasons:

a. Lower wind velocity. With temps in the upper 90s, the wind really
kicked up today, and we were taking a first-timer with us. (Joe's away
at wrestling camp.) The TAFs for Quincy showed no gusts predicted --
and they were right.

b. FOOD. The on-field restaurant is under new ownership, and we
wanted to try it out.

Our passenger (a friend of our daughters) had never, EVER flown
before. Not just never in a small plane -- never, period.

In my experience, this is dicey with anyone over age ten, especially
on a hot, sticky, windy day. Needless to say, Mary and I were
extremely careful in flight, and I made sure to place BIG plastic bags
in the seat backs, for easy access.

No worries -- she was a real natural. She gave out a little whoop
when we took off, looked out the window for a few minutes -- and then
started playing "Go Fish" with my daughter! I was actually kinda
disappointed at her blase reaction, but I guess this is better than
getting sick in the plane...

It was a beautiful flight. Once at altitude, the temps were quite
comfortable, and -- despite the wind and heat -- it was surprisingly
smooth. Our passenger got a kick out of seeing the Mississippi
River, and was surprised when she couldn't see cars on the freeway.
I don't think she quite grasped that we were over a mile high, but
that's probably okay.

The new restaurant on the field is nice (called "Tailwinds"), and the
food was awesome. Quite affordable too -- but just don't be in too
much of a hurry. We waited 45 minutes for (what we thought was)
pretty basic sandwiches.

And the mysterious Russian jet fighters are still sitting on the ramp
in Quincy. We haven't been there in a several years, and they are
still sitting there, waiting for...a buyer? Who knows?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA