Blind 430

Old December 29th 04, 09:05 PM
Nathan Young

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 09:37:37 -0600, "Jim Burns"
wrote:

Could be. Yesterday he visited the FBO that we used to lease the 182RG from
and they checked that one, it was only 28v. We're kind of in a 430 deprived
area of Wisconsin
Jim

I don't know how far North in Wisconsin you are, but if you can make
it to Chicago DuPage, JA Air Center is an absolutely stellar avionics
shop. I also believe they are the largest Garmin dealer.

When my KX155 was not driving a GS correctly, they bench tested it for
free, and the tech took the time to show me the performance on the
bench. It is rare to find this kind of customer service.

-Nathan

Old December 29th 04, 09:31 PM
Jim Burns

One of our partners actually has a relative that works at JA, so we are
familiar with them, but we're several hours flight away. We'll look locally
first, then expand our circle.
Thanks.
Jim

news

Old January 1st 05, 01:51 AM
tony roberts

It happened to me with my 196.
Finally discovered the problem. The plane had been in the avionics shop
and while there they had dialed a new frequency into the VOR (don't
remember what it was now). After spending lots of time searching and
testing a friend told me to try switching off all of the avionics - and
the gps came back. Turn on the VOR - lose the GPS! After tuning the VOR
back to a local frequency the problem disappeared.

Worth a try before you start spending money!

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

In article ,
"Jim Burns" wrote:

A friend of mine has a 12v Garmin 430 that simply does not pick up the
satellites. It worked fine about 3 weeks ago (the last time he flew) but
now it fails to find any satellite signals. One avionics tech said that it
had "lost it's almanac" and to pull it out and let it sit for a couple hours
and it should pick up the satellites and work fine. No such luck. All
power and antenna connections are good and nothing has happened to the
airplane or the equipment since it flew last. Any ideas? Anybody ever hear
of such a thing?

Thanks,
Jim

Old January 1st 05, 05:00 AM
BTIZ

don't know if I would trust that VOR or the GPS.. so I go cross country
somewhere and have to dial in the VOR freq that totally sends the GPS into
oblivion.. that would just not do...

But VORs only receive, so how would the VOR disrupt the GPS?
And before the flamers start.. he said VOR.. now.. if he meant to say a
combined VOR/DME unit, then yes.. the DME transmits, and on it's freq it may
disrupt the receiving of GPS signal.

but then again.. why would I trust that VOR/DME/GPS combination.
Tony... either never leave to the local area, or don't count on the GPS when
you may really need it.
Either that, or just shut down your VOR receiver.

BT

Old January 1st 05, 06:09 AM
David Lesher

"BTIZ" writes:

But VORs only receive, so how would the VOR disrupt the GPS?

There is no such thing as a pure receiver [1] at least in avionics.
Each receiver has one or more 'local oscillators' within. They leak
a little. If that leakage is in the wrong place at the wrong time...it
can get into other systems such as GPS.

"EMC" -- electromagnetic compatibility is a major issue any place
you have multiple emitters/receivers. Such problems can be hell to
narrow down. My FAAfriend talked about the Mode S system being tested
[ISTM it was on a FAA/NASA 757..] that would crap out for a ~minute
right before each landing. Seems when the nosewheel gear-door would
open during gear transit & that would bounce some radar altimeter
RF back into into the xponder antenna....

[1] Let's skip TRF's and other exotics...
--
A host is a host from coast to
Old January 2nd 05, 02:48 AM
Jim Burns

2 corroded connectors limited voltage to the antenna.
Lesson learned: Just because it worked yesterday and nothing is visibly
wrong with your cables and connectors doesn't mean that they aren't the
culprit!

CHEAP lesson learned! My friend breathed a huge sigh of relief when they
said there wasn't anything wrong with the 430 itself.

Jim

Old January 4th 05, 07:57 PM
Dave Butler

tony roberts wrote:
It happened to me with my 196.
Finally discovered the problem. The plane had been in the avionics shop
and while there they had dialed a new frequency into the VOR (don't
remember what it was now). After spending lots of time searching and
testing a friend told me to try switching off all of the avionics - and
the gps came back. Turn on the VOR - lose the GPS! After tuning the VOR
back to a local frequency the problem disappeared.

Worth a try before you start spending money!

Good idea. I should have thought of that. Happens with my handheld, too,
interference from my KX-155 when the NAV side is tuned to certain frequencies. I
think KX-155 is notorious for producing RFI. If the GPS is an IFR approved
installation, they're supposed to check for that as part of the approval, but
who knows. Worth a try.