V35B upgrade from IO-520-BA to IO-520-BB

Old May 17th 04, 05:47 PM
Allen

Default V35B upgrade from IO-520-BA to IO-520-BB

Can anybody give me an idea what is involved in doing this? I believe the
engine is approved for the airplane if you follow some Beech drawing. No
info on how to get the drawing.

TIA,

Allen

Old May 18th 04, 02:40 AM
Stu Gotts

Ask the ABS. If you're not a member, join.

Old May 18th 04, 04:04 AM

wrote:

Can anybody give me an idea what is involved in doing this? I believe the
engine is approved for the airplane if you follow some Beech drawing. No
info on how to get the drawing.

TIA,

Allen

Found this, not sure if its applicable to your particular aircraft.

Model:
STC: SA2200SW
Date: 05/31/2001
TCDS: 3A15
ACO: CE-C
D’Shannon Products
13610 Glader Lane
Lindstrom, MN 55045
UNITED STATES
Installation of Teledyne Continental IO-520-B,
-BA, - BB or IO-550-B engine and applicable
McCauley Propeller only as listed on STC.
V35B

http://www.beryldshannon.com/indexb.htm

Did you call Raytheon and ask them about the drawing?

http://www.raytheonaircraft.com/serv...t_contacts.asp

Regards;

TC

Date: 05/31/2001
TCDS: 3A15
ACO: CE-C
D'Shannon Products
13610 Glader Lane
Lindstrom, MN 55045
UNITED STATES
Installation of Teledyne Continental IO-520-B,
-BA, - BB or IO-550-B engine and applicable
McCauley Propeller only as listed on STC.
V35B

http://www.beryldshannon.com/indexb.htm

Did you call Raytheon and ask them about the drawing?

http://www.raytheonaircraft.com/serv...t_contacts.asp

Regards;

TC

Thanks for the links, I have already spoken with Raytheon, the drawing is
proprietary and they will not release it. They did say I could ask my FSDO
to request it for me.

Old May 18th 04, 08:47 PM
Bill Hale

"Allen" wrote in message . ..

Actually, you need to do almost nothing. This is pretty easy.

If you check the TCM Type Certificate Data Sheet, you will discover
that it specifically authorizes substitution of -BB for -B in all
applications. TC E5CE Note 11.

If you check the TC data sheet for the V35B, 3A15, you find that
it is approved for -B, -BA and specifically for -BB for sn 10179.

The venn intersection solves the problem for you. It's a minor
mod, no 337 required.

Install it and be happy. It's a lot safer engine than the -BA.

Bill Hale

BPPP Instructor
Old May 19th 04, 03:15 AM

On 18 May 2004 12:47:13 -0700, (Bill Hale)
wrote:

"Allen" wrote in message . ..

Actually, you need to do almost nothing. This is pretty easy.

If you check the TCM Type Certificate Data Sheet, you will discover
that it specifically authorizes substitution of -BB for -B in all
applications. TC E5CE Note 11.

If you check the TC data sheet for the V35B, 3A15, you find that
it is approved for -B, -BA and specifically for -BB for sn 10179.

The venn intersection solves the problem for you. It's a minor
mod, no 337 required.

Install it and be happy. It's a lot safer engine than the -BA.

Bill Hale

BPPP Instructor

As long as the Bananer in question is 10179 I agree with what you are
saying 100%. Bolt the sucker on and go flying.

However, if it is 10180, I'm afraid I would have to respectfully
disagree.

The information provided in the TCM TCDS is good stuff, but the
specific reference to a s/n in regard to the BB install in the V35B
TCDS would IMHO take precedence in the eyes of the Federales-barring
any other pertinent approved supporting documentation from the folks
at Raytheon. I sure as heck wouldn't give anyone a deposit check
without discussing it with someone a little more "official" than a NFI
on Usenet.

If the "drawings" and additional required equipment (specific fuel
pump?) referred to in the V35B TCDS were followed explicitly, again, I
agree that it would be minor mod, with no STC/337 required.

I have absolutely no idea what years correspond to what engine
model/s/n range on the V35B, have had to deal with way too many
different makes/models. The only Beech "bible" I currently possess is
for the 18's.

Would there be some mechanical reason you would recommend a 520-BB
retrofit over a 550? Aside from growing pains with the "auto" mixture
control, I've had good luck with the 550's, and have flown a couple
V35/550 conversions. Worst part was breaking in the engines at 75%
power and keeping the durn thing under the yellow arc airspeed-wise.

TC

NFI (Nobody Freaking Important)

Old May 19th 04, 05:42 PM
markjen

I'm trying to close a deal on an F33A that's 40 hours from TBO and was
thinking of replacing the 520-BB with a Millennium 550.

Yea or nay?

I think the 550 conversion is well worth it. A lot better engine and
noticeably improved performance, especially in climb.

- Mark

Old May 20th 04, 04:08 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"markjen" wrote in message
I'm trying to close a deal on an F33A that's 40 hours from TBO and was
thinking of replacing the 520-BB with a Millennium 550.

Yea or nay?

I think the 550 conversion is well worth it. A lot better engine and
noticeably improved performance, especially in climb.

So far I've not heard any negatives, even though the price is going to be
about $27K installed.

After that, I'd like to hang a turbonormalizer on it and no one seems to
recommend putting TN on the 520.