Dr. Strangelove

Old August 6th 04, 09:31 AM
James Lane

Default Dr. Strangelove

"Animals can be bred, and *slaughtered*!"
Old August 6th 04, 11:37 AM
Andrew Chaplin

James Lane wrote:

"Animals can be bred, and *slaughtered*!"

Anachronism: "Will you have fries with that?" :^)
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old August 6th 04, 01:52 PM
BUFDRVR

Andrew Chaplin wrote:

I'm glad to see I am not alone in enjoying what has to be the blackest
comedy ever produced in the English language.

Its a must watch for every B-52 crewmember. Luckily for me, I liked the movie
even before I was qualified in B-52s. I had head start

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old August 7th 04, 03:40 PM
Leslie Swartz

Actually, Art, I would have guessed your favorite was "Triumph of the Will"
by Reifenstahl.

More aligned with your current political views.

Steve swartz

Subject: Dr. Strangelove
From: Howard Berkowitz
Date: 8/6/2004 5:35 PM Pacific Standard Time
In article ,
(Fred the Red Shirt) wrote:

(WalterM140) wrote in message

"Dr. Strangelove" makes quite a counterpoint with "Fail Safe" made a
couple of
years later.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058083/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057012/

I *thought* "Dr Stangelove" was a parody of "Fail-Safe".

No, it was based on another novel, Red Alert, which was not especially a
parody. Its author did write the screenplay. The novel was more
reminiscent of Fail-Safe, with a desperate attempt to stop accidental
war.

I think Catch 22 is the greatest war parody ever written. Well maybe

after
The Good Soldier Schweik.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old August 10th 04, 01:41 AM
Paul A. Suhler

Guy Alcala wrote:
There have long been claims that Kubrick based Strangelove at least partly on
Henry the K. (he got the hair right), the other relatively well-known figure at
the time. Of course, Kissenger's bio is about the opposite of Strangelove's,
who has more in common with Werner Von Braun (which gives me an excuse to post
the lyrics of the Tom Lehrer song):

And the other candidate is Edward Teller. I read an interview
that he gave in the last year of his life and the interviewer
asked about it a couple of times. Finally Teller threatened
to end the interview if he heard the word "Strangelove" one
more time.
Old August 10th 04, 03:15 AM
ArtKramr

From: (Paul A. Suhler)
Date: 8/9/2004 5:41 PM Pacific Standard Time
Guy Alcala wrote:
There have long been claims that Kubrick based Strangelove at least partly

on
Henry the K. (he got the hair right), the other relatively well-known figure

at
the time. Of course, Kissenger's bio is about the opposite of

Strangelove's,
who has more in common with Werner Von Braun (which gives me an excuse to

post
the lyrics of the Tom Lehrer song):

And the other candidate is Edward Teller. I read an interview
that he gave in the last year of his life and the interviewer
asked about it a couple of times. Finally Teller threatened
to end the interview if he heard the word "Strangelove" one
more time.

I am certain ir was Edward Teller. I heard him lecture one evening at the New
School in NY where I was teaching at the time. Teller was lecturing on Theory
of Relativity. It was an illustrated three hour lecture and all I could think
of as he spoke was Strangelove.. But the line he ended the lecture with
brought the entire audience in that large lecture hall to their feet. His
lastline was, "Zee trupple mit science ficshun is es ist zu unimaginatif" The
crowd exploded applause After the lecture I went upto Teller and said,, Herr
Doctor Professor Ich danke sehr fur das.. He replied bowing slightly from the
waist with, : "Ich bedanke mich" German speakers will understand the formality
and elegance of his reply..Yup. He was Strangelove.

Old August 11th 04, 07:49 AM
Eunometic

(Peter Stickney) wrote in message ...
In article ,
From:
(Paul A. Suhler)
Date: 8/9/2004 5:41 PM Pacific Standard Time
Guy Alcala wrote:
[...]

Strangelove was, according the Peter Sellers, based on an amalgam of
Henry Kissenger, Wehrner von Braun, Edward Teller, and WeeGee. a
German Photorapher in Manhatten. A lot of it also seems to have come
from the German characters that Sellers voiced when he was doing "The
Goon Show" radio series for teh BBC in the 1950s. (Most notably the
fiendish Dr. Hans Eidelberger and his Horsehair Zeppelin.)

Wasn't a bit of Curtiss LeMay in there? Afterall LeMay was seriously
preparing SAC to fight a pre-emptive nuclear war against the USSR and
win without any harm comming to the USA. That's why the USA had SAC,
SAGE, F102's, Mach 3.2 YF12s, B47s,B52s,B58s,XB70s Safeguard, Spartan
and Sprint.
Old August 11th 04, 04:32 PM
Jack

[on r.a.m.]

ArtKramr wrote:

I knew WEEGEE personally and he was a very good friend of mine for
many yeras. A photo I took of him is now in a number of museum and
university collections. And he was as German as apple pie. And was
born in Brooklyn which was his only accent. If you want to see the
shot give me an e-mail address and I'll send you a copy.

Send one over here, Art.

Nothing against the anticipated quality of your photography, but I can't
imagine any photo _of_ WEEGEE being as interesting as the photos _by_
WEEGEE, at least to the readers of r.a.m. (blood-thirsty lot that we
are).

Jack