PIREP - Reiff Preheat Systems

Old December 9th 03, 09:57 PM
Ron Natalie

"Greg Hopp" wrote in message m...
Quoting from the installation instructions:
"Installation of this heater is a minor alteration and does not require a
Form 337 or STC , in accordace with FAR Part 43 Appendix B. It does not
require an A&P to install it, but the installation should be inspected and
signed off by an A&P..."

Partner and I interpreted this to mean an A&P signoff was NOT
required, just recommended. Is my Reiff sump heater installation
illegal without the A&P signoff?

The above text says that you don't need an IA to prepare a 337.
You need an log book entry on any maintenance or alteration.
Unless it's covered in the preventive maintenance exceptions
that has to be an A&P.

Old December 11th 03, 02:14 AM
Greg Hopp

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message ...

Is my Reiff sump heater installation
illegal without the A&P signoff?

The above text says that you don't need an IA to prepare a 337.
You need an log book entry on any maintenance or alteration.
Unless it's covered in the preventive maintenance exceptions
that has to be an A&P.

Thanks Ron. I went back to my partner and he looked through the
manual that came with our preheater and buried somewhere in there is
text that states and A&P is not required to do the installation, just
the signoff.

Since the bird went into the shop this afternoon for a possible
rebuilt carb., we will have the proper notation made.

Appreciate setting me straight.

Greg H.
Cols, OH.
Old December 13th 03, 05:36 AM
Newps

Joe Young wrote:
Which begs the question why does someone **** away $150+ on a heater
which doesn't require a 337 or an STC when you can get the same thing
for $35.

Some of us "**** away" $150+ to keep our birds legal. The Reiff heaters
have a PMA and are FAA approved which means they can legally be installed on
a certified aircraft.

A glue on heater that goes on your oil pan is not installed. That Reiff
says that they have a PMA is hysterical. And exactly what does FAA
approved mean? Thay have no STC, without that there is no FAA approval.
They don't have one because one isn't necessary. Their heater and the
one I got from Tractor Supply are identical.

Old December 13th 03, 05:44 AM
Newps

Greg Hopp wrote:

Is there something legal and similar that costs $35? Or are you
referring to fabricating a heater using A/C duct and a blower? $35
won't buy you much in terms of a space heater.

I can't see how that would be as efficient in warming the oil as
putting 125 deg heating strips directly on the oil sump?

That's exactly what I do. I started with one glue on pad. In the
unheated hangar I was in at the time it didn't get my oil warm enough.
So I put a second one on next to the first. Now, with a Kennon nose
mitten on, the oil gets to and stays at 100F. Each CHT and EGT gets to
and stays at 80F. So for $35 for each pad I laugh at the fools who
spend $150+ for the exact same thing because Reiff, Tanis, etc put "FAA
approved" on the box. It apparently never occurs to anybody that the
words "FAA Approved" mean exactly nothing. What a bunch of lemmings.

Old December 13th 03, 05:16 PM
Joe Young

"Newps" wrote in message

That's exactly what I do. I started with one glue on pad. In the
unheated hangar I was in at the time it didn't get my oil warm enough.
So I put a second one on next to the first. Now, with a Kennon nose
mitten on, the oil gets to and stays at 100F. Each CHT and EGT gets to
and stays at 80F. So for $35 for each pad I laugh at the fools who
spend $150+ for the exact same thing because Reiff, Tanis, etc put "FAA
approved" on the box. It apparently never occurs to anybody that the
words "FAA Approved" mean exactly nothing. What a bunch of lemmings.

I truly hope you are never ramp checked or worse yet have an accident where
the insurance company will not payoff because the aircraft is not airworthy.
Tractor parts are simply not legal on certified aircraft. Risking the value
of your aircraft for a few dollars seems to be foolish at a minimum.
Lemmings indeed.........

Old December 14th 03, 07:31 PM
Greg Hopp

"Newps" wrote in message

I started with one glue on pad. In the
unheated hangar I was in at the time it didn't get my oil warm enough.
So I put a second one on next to the first. Now, with a Kennon nose
mitten on, the oil gets to and stays at 100F. Each CHT and EGT gets to
and stays at 80F. So for $35 for each pad I laugh at the fools who
spend $150+ for the exact same thing

I truly hope you are never ramp checked or worse yet have an accident where
the insurance company will not payoff because the aircraft is not airworthy.
Tractor parts are simply not legal on certified aircraft.

Besides, why would you go to the expense of buying the Kennon nose
mitten (not cheap by the looks of it) and then skimp on the measly $75
you saved for an unapproved sump heater?

I've got my logbook entry and A&P signoff on the installation (thanks
to this thread!) and don't feel like a lemming at all.

Best,

Greg
Old December 14th 03, 07:38 PM
Newps

Joe Young wrote:
"Newps" wrote in message

[...]

Since a glue on oil pan heater is not considered to be "installed" there
are no airworthiness issues. There's nothing to hide from the FAA, this
is the way it is done in cold climates. In fact the FAA is fully aware,
our local FSDO is the one who said to make sure you route the cord
away from the throttle cable. I bring my cord up to the oil door on my
182, others run it down to the cowl flap.