[USA] FAA approved canopy crack repairs

Old October 15th 10, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Britton

Default [USA] FAA approved canopy crack repairs

Our trusty Grob 103 is undergoing an 'extension of life" inspection
(AKA 6000 hour inspection)
One of the issues is with minor repairs to its front canopy.
We have one small crack starting from the right rail, less than 2
inches in length and well out of line of sight.
The plan was to do the usual repair by stop-drilling then fixing with
'Acryfix'

The inpector is looking for "FAA approved data" or existing "guidance"
to allow a return to service with this fix.
Without this we will need a new canopy.

I am not looking for "we've always done it that way" types of
Anybody got any formal documentation that would satisfy the FAA that
this repair is allowed?

Thanks,

--Jim
Old October 15th 10, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

Default FAA approved canopy crack repairs

AC 43.13 gives guidance on repairing acrylic windows and is FAA
approved. However, you will not like what you read. It requires
"stitching" up the crack with safety wire.

Lane
XF
Old October 15th 10, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Oct 15, 1:28*pm, Jim Britton wrote:
Our trusty Grob 103 is undergoing an 'extension of life" inspection
(AKA 6000 hour inspection)
One of the issues is with minor repairs to its front canopy.
We have one small crack starting from the right rail, less than 2
inches in length and well out of line of sight.
The plan was to do the usual repair by stop-drilling then fixing with
'Acryfix'

The inpector is looking for "FAA approved data" or existing "guidance"
to allow a return to service with this fix.
Without this we will need a new canopy.

I am not looking for "we've always done it that way" types of
Anybody got any formal documentation that would satisfy the FAA that
this repair is allowed?

Thanks,

--Jim

Jim,

Page 3-19 in AC 43-13B addreses repair to plastics:
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/list/AC%2043.13-1B/$FILE/Chapter%2003.pdf

Your mechanic should have a copy of this laying around the shop.
Seems to me on a small crack out of the line of sight stop drilling is
acceptable to the FAA.

Tony
-Not and A&P

Old October 16th 10, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Page 3-19 in AC 43-13B addreses repair to plastics:http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...visoryCircular...

Your mechanic should have a copy of this laying around the shop.
Seems to me on a small crack out of the line of sight stop drilling is
acceptable to the FAA.

Tony
-Not and A&P

Section 4 Paras 3-40 c and d (pg3-23) would seem to apply to an area
as described by the OP. More on PS-30 and Weld-On 40.
http://www.altuglasint.com/expert/data/236

Give 10 minutes for bubbles to rise out after mixing the two parts
together and before application. A real expert can make the crack all
but vanish with proper application, sanding and polishing. IMVHO, a
glued repair is also much stronger than a drill stopped crack.
http://www.rplastics.com/weldon40.html

Frank Whiteley
Not an A&P, but have repaired canopy cracks using both Acrifix 192 and
methylene chloride two-part kit (in the UK).
Old October 17th 10, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

On further inspection of AC 43.13 it does give guidance on repairing
small, out of the line of sight, cracks using stop drill holes and
acrylic glue. Anytime 43.13 gives appropriate guidance this is
approved data.

Lane
XF
Old October 18th 10, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Oct 16, 9:32*pm, lanebush wrote:
On further inspection of AC 43.13 it does give guidance on repairing
small, out of the line of sight, cracks using stop drill holes and
acrylic glue. *Anytime 43.13 gives appropriate guidance this is
approved data.

Lane
XF

Except when 43.13 conflicts with manufacturer's information which
becomes the prevailing approved data.
UH

Canopy crack :( lanebush Soaring 6 June 8th 10 06:44 AM
Private Aero L-39C Albatros canopy closed and taxi approved Tom Callahan Aviation Photos 0 November 26th 07 05:13 PM
Canopy crack repair Pete Brown Soaring 0 May 18th 04 03:09 AM
FS2004 CRACK Jerry Morgan Simulators 16 March 1st 04 04:44 PM
Canopy repairs Jay Todd Soaring 2 November 5th 03 02:44 AM