Paraglider pilot missing in eastern Nevada

Old August 28th 20, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Paraglider pilot missing in eastern Nevada

He flew with two other paragliders last Saturday and hasn't been heard from since:
https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/...evada-2104357/

This is very unforgiving country to be flying over. You can walk for an entire day and not see another human being. There is no water or shelter to get you by. It requires the utmost preparation before venturing out into it, communication being at the top of the list. I have been flying gliders over this country for over 10 years and have been involved in retrieving glider pilots who have landed out in this country. Take my word for it: you MUST not underestimate how brutal this terrain is. These paraglider pilots weren't fully prepared for the task. After Oroc/Johnston (which is it?) went missing there was a significant delay in contacting the sheriff's office to begin a search - they had to be instructed to do so by another glider pilot in Ely. They had no aviation radios to communicate with other aircraft. There was limited communication between the paraglider pilots themselves, using short range consumer radios. It is unlikely that Oroc/Johnston survived the crash he was certainly involved in.
Old August 28th 20, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It is unlikely that Oroc/Johnston survived the crash he was certainly involved in.

2G- You consistently post unsubstantiated certainties. Unless you're some sort of clairvoyant, I can't find where in the article it says this man crashed and did not survive. At this point, he's missing and S&R is still searching. This penchant you have of inventing stuff makes all your other posts circumspect, even though some may have real value.

Old August 28th 20, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Behm

On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 6:37:52 AM UTC-7, wrote:
It is unlikely that Oroc/Johnston survived the crash he was certainly involved in.

2G- You consistently post unsubstantiated certainties. Unless you're some sort of clairvoyant, I can't find where in the article it says this man crashed and did not survive. At this point, he's missing and S&R is still searching. This penchant you have of inventing stuff makes all your other posts circumspect, even though some may have real value.

Seems like a "SPOT" would be a good investment for these serious XC paraglider guys.

R,
Chris
Old August 28th 20, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 10:33:29 AM UTC-7, Chris Behm wrote:
On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 6:37:52 AM UTC-7, wrote:
It is unlikely that Oroc/Johnston survived the crash he was certainly involved in.

2G- You consistently post unsubstantiated certainties. Unless you're some sort of clairvoyant, I can't find where in the article it says this man crashed and did not survive. At this point, he's missing and S&R is still searching. This penchant you have of inventing stuff makes all your other posts circumspect, even though some may have real value.

Seems like a "SPOT" would be a good investment for these serious XC paraglider guys.

R,
Chris

This article has more information, including that the paraglider pilot was carrying a Garmin Inreach tracker which stopped transmitting:
https://xcmag.com/news/james-kiwi-jo...ing-in-nevada/
Old August 28th 20, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 10:37:15 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Has the ransomware been paid up todate?
Old August 28th 20, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Day 4 Report - volunteers are scrutinizing high-res satellite photos in the search for any sign of his parachute or emergency chute.

https://xcmag.com/news/kiwi-johnston...nues-on-day-4/

Old August 28th 20, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 6:37:52 AM UTC-7, wrote:
It is unlikely that Oroc/Johnston survived the crash he was certainly involved in.

2G- You consistently post unsubstantiated certainties. Unless you're some sort of clairvoyant, I can't find where in the article it says this man crashed and did not survive. At this point, he's missing and S&R is still searching. This penchant you have of inventing stuff makes all your other posts circumspect, even though some may have real value.

You need to take a course in comprehensive reading; I wrote that it is UNLIKELY that he survived, not a CERTAINTY.

Tom
Old August 29th 20, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 8/28/2020 3:55 PM, 2G wrote:
On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 6:37:52 AM UTC-7, wrote:
It is unlikely that Oroc/Johnston survived the crash he was certainly
involved in.

2G- You consistently post unsubstantiated certainties. Unless you're some
sort of clairvoyant, I can't find where in the article it says this man
crashed and did not survive. At this point, he's missing and S&R is still
searching. This penchant you have of inventing stuff makes all your other
posts circumspect, even though some may have real value.

You need to take a course in comprehensive reading; I wrote that it is
UNLIKELY that he survived, not a CERTAINTY.

Tom

Rhetorical comment: "Geez, Tom. Short on chill pills? Do you *enjoy* coming
across as obtuse?"

Hopefully this ends well...though - I infer - with each day it seems less
likely. Infer? Just me, I guess...

cf: "...the crash he was certainly involved in." Certainly?

Seems to me, the situation is serious enough without indulging in "terminal
public speculation." Best wishes for Mr. Johnston, his family, and friends.

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old August 29th 20, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 4:06:57 PM UTC-7, BobW wrote:
On 8/28/2020 3:55 PM, 2G wrote:
[...]

Gee Bob, so you THINK the guy landed uneventfully and DIDN'T crash? Maybe YOU need a chill pill. His last reported position by his InReach was at 14,000 ft with NO subsequent fixes. In other words, device was damaged beyond use. Sounds like a crash to me.

Old August 29th 20, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

The battery may have run out without his noticing and he could have flown for a considerable time after.