Sky High Av gas **** you off?

Old June 3rd 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Sky High Av gas **** you off?

Nomen Nescio wrote:

That's .0000066% of US oil usage; that's going to make a big dent.

Now, multiply that by (roughly) 65% of the homes in Mass.

OK, that shaves off a zero or two.

The truck that delivered the carrots to your grocery store uses more
than that every day.

Then that truck REALLY needs a tune-up.

Have you any idea what the milage of an eighteen wheeler is?

Only a small segment of the US uses "oil" for heating these days.

But those that do, live where it's kinda cold.
Miami, FL has 173 degree-days.
Pittsfield, MA (the town closest to me that I have quickly available data for)
has 7694 degree-days.

I'd bet you'll find a LOT more oil burners in Pittsfield.

Yeah, there is still a lot of it in the North East.

I'm not arguing that, I'm argueing that when you look at the US as whole,
oil burners are in the minority.

According to DOE, about 7.5% of US homes use heating oil.

In the US, the percentage of oil used for stationary uses, which includes
residential, commercial, industrial, and electricity generation, is
less than 20% of the total and falling every year.

See this graph:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/p..._cons_prod.htm

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 3rd 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Steve Foley wrote:
wrote in message

Only a small segment of the US uses "oil" for heating these days.

Ths only reference I found said home heating oil accounts for 25% of the
crude consumption. see
http://www.alternativeenergyhq.com/e...on-is-gasoline

Not in the US; total US stationary use, which is everything that burns
oil and doesn't move, is less than 20% and falling.

Start he

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/p...re/heatbro.htm

Then go he

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/p...emand_text.htm

Then he

Old June 3rd 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
SOS[_3_]

wrote:
Larry Dighera wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 04:15:02 GMT,
wrote in
:

That's .0000066% of US oil usage; that's going to make a big dent.

"No single raindrop believes that it is responsible for the flood."
http://www.despair.com/ir.html

How poetic and utterly useless.

"If you get your dick caught in your zipper you will
never forget to wear underwear again"

Now that's useful
Old June 3rd 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

SOS wrote:
wrote:
Larry Dighera wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 04:15:02 GMT,
wrote in
:

That's .0000066% of US oil usage; that's going to make a big dent.

"No single raindrop believes that it is responsible for the flood."
http://www.despair.com/ir.html

How poetic and utterly useless.

"If you get your dick caught in your zipper you will
never forget to wear underwear again"

Now that's useful

Much more useful.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 3rd 08, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 15:45:03 GMT, wrote:

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 04:15:02 GMT,
wrote in
:

That's .0000066% of US oil usage; that's going to make a big dent.

"No single raindrop believes that it is responsible for the flood."
http://www.despair.com/ir.html

How poetic and utterly useless.

Sorry you missed the message.
Old June 3rd 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

B A R R Y wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 15:45:03 GMT, wrote:

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 04:15:02 GMT,
wrote in
:

That's .0000066% of US oil usage; that's going to make a big dent.

"No single raindrop believes that it is responsible for the flood."
http://www.despair.com/ir.html

How poetic and utterly useless.

Sorry you missed the message.

Sorry you missed mathematics.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 4th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tman

wrote:
Larry Dighera wrote:

"No single raindrop believes that it is responsible for the flood."
http://www.despair.com/ir.html

How poetic and utterly useless.

Perhaps, but heygiven the price inelasticity of demand (and supply) that
is causing the recent serious uptick in oil prices, a 1% decline in
demand ought to well have significant impact on prices.

When it comes to supply and demand in the oil market, take note that it
is not the supply (amount of oil in the ground, as if there were ever a
way to quantify that), but rather the rate of supply (the rate that oil
can be pumped, refined, and delivered (oil products) with the current
infrastructure). Both that, and the demand curve have tremedous
short-run elasticity. That's why a small decrease of the gap between
supply rate and demand rate has a tremendous impact on prices in the
free market, a result that many view as paradoxical.

Anyways there are two pieces of good news in this.

First, is a small increase in supply rate, or a small decrease in demand
rate, ought to have a significant impact on price.

Second, I believe, and it is perhaps becoming more apparent, that the
long-run supply and demand is MUCH more elastic. Now I am not one that
believes that speculators are driving the oil price up, but I do see
another government bailout when they all get burned because they
underestimate the long-run elasticity of both the supply and demand
curves...

Old June 4th 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jun 2, 12:12 pm, "NW_Pilot"
wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in ...
On Jun 2, 10:31 am, SOS wrote:

I can't see how shipping a product 8000 miles is better than
shipping that same product 300 miles. I just don't get it.
Tell me? How many choices do your REALLY have for gas and
energy??

A little knowledge is dangerous apparently. A couple things you are
not considering. First, the price for oil today is affected by the
futures contracts that are outstanding on it. Second, oil is not oil.
There are lots of different types of oil, some is better for different
types of gas. Yes, OPEC does affect the price (which sucks) but they
don't have total control in the world market. No oil company in the US
is rich enough to affect the price of gas, they are price takers, not
price setter. I have no idea what you mean by bringing Bush into this.
The President does not set the price of oil or gas contracts.

-Robert

But can sure help make his friends in the middle east money by restricting
production, refining, and alternatives! Refer to the 80's with the synthetic
fuel exploration and experimentation caused large drop in price.

First Bush gets in trouble because all he wants to do is drill.
(Think ANWAR).
Now he gets in trouble because he is restricting everything.

I wish the anti-Bush folks would just pick a side of the fence and
stay on it!
The price of oil isn't controlled by Bush.

There are plenty of other reasons to be dissatisfied with Bush, as
with all of Congress as well. But this particular story is just bad.
Old June 4th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

tman inv@lid wrote:
wrote:
Larry Dighera wrote:

"No single raindrop believes that it is responsible for the flood."
http://www.despair.com/ir.html

How poetic and utterly useless.

Perhaps, but heygiven the price inelasticity of demand (and supply) that
is causing the recent serious uptick in oil prices, a 1% decline in
demand ought to well have significant impact on prices.

If everyone in the US converted their oil heat to something else, I doubt
it would result in anywhere near a 1% world-wide drop in consumption, but
I'd have to do the numbers.

Besides summer is coming and people are starting to shut off the heat.

Do you see any decline in prices?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Fix the high cost [Was:] High Cost of Sportplanes Evan Carew Home Built 40 October 8th 05 04:05 AM
High Oil Pressure (was: Low oil pressure, high oil temp?) Thomas Ploch Owning 4 October 5th 04 04:34 AM
1972 piss test . . . so where was dubya ?? Transition Zone Military Aviation 8 September 23rd 04 04:48 AM
High And Low SelwayKid Piloting 5 July 18th 04 04:09 AM
IVO pireps wanted.. high performance/high speed... Dave S Home Built 8 June 2nd 04 04:12 PM