Flarm Audio and Towplanes

Old June 9th 12, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hagbard Celine

Default Flarm Audio and Towplanes

"Hopefully someone from the Flarm team can shed a light."

Yeah, that would be a welcome and refreshing change!
Old June 9th 12, 12:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GC[_2_]

On 9/06/2012 08:49, Bob Gibbons wrote:
Just to clarify, the replies on how to integrate the PowerFlarm's
portable audio port into a headset are interesting.

However, what I really wanted to know is the operating experience of
non-US towplane operators using the classic PowerFlarm (which does not
have audio).

Has this proven to be a serious deficiency, or have your tow pilots
managed to manage with the purely visual threat warnings from the
display itself?

OzFlarms destined for tugs were modded by Nigel with an audio output to
be wired into the headset.

Without that the normal audio is useless in a tug.

GC

Bob

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 20:07:33 -0500, Bob
wrote:

Question: How have Flarm users around the world handled the lack of
audio intercom output in the standard Flarm unit when installed in
towplanes?

Is the simple visual LED output on the Flarm display adequate, or have
you had to add auxiliary audio intercom capability to the Flarm for
your towplanes?

As we in the U.S. prepare to deploy PowerFlarm into our fleet, we will
have to deal with this installation issue into our towplanes.

In an unfortunate decision (my opinion), Flarm has opted to delete
from the "brick" model the intercom audio output that is part of the
"portable".

We are faced with the decision to either use the brick in our
towplanes with no audio alert, or integrate the portable model, having
to add external displays and antenna to this otherwise self-contained
unit.

What have others found regarding the need for an auxiliary headset
audio output when towing with the Flarm?

Thanks

Bob

Old June 9th 12, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt McKrell

wrote:

[...]

The only connection to the display units is the 6 pin RJ45 cable from
the FLARM unit.
There aren't any lines available for audio. The Butterfly display
manual refers to an
internal audio unit. The mounting for the rectangular display only
lists a single small square
hole for the RJ45. It really looks like a dead end without a physical
redesign of
the unit. The only way to get separate audio output is to install the
portable.

-- Matt
Old June 10th 12, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Saturday, June 9, 2012 4:13:13 AM UTC-7, GC wrote:

Without that the normal audio is useless in a tug.

GC

I'd say it's far from useless. I fly a Pawnee without audio connected and simply include the PowerFlarm in my scan. It gives valuable information, though I agree connecting the audio is better - - and we plan to do that.

The PF is my Husky has a super bright LED as an alarm annunciator, which for me is just as good as an audio alarm.

bumper
Old June 10th 12, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GC[_2_]

On 10/06/2012 13:04, bumper wrote:
On Saturday, June 9, 2012 4:13:13 AM UTC-7, GC wrote:

Without that the normal audio is useless in a tug.

GC

I'd say it's far from useless. I fly a Pawnee without audio
connected and simply include the PowerFlarm in my scan. It gives
valuable information, though I agree connecting the audio is better -
- and we plan to do that.

The PF is my Husky has a super bright LED as an alarm annunciator,
which for me is just as good as an audio alarm.

bumper

I said the AUDIO was useless, not Flarm.

Scanning the PF and adding big LEDs is visual, not audible and neither
is 'just as good' as having it fed into your headset. The OP asked if
the built-in Flarm audio was useful in a tug and that's what I replied
to. Our Club's experience is that it's not.

I'd also repeat the bit you deleted. OzFlarms intended for tugs were
modded by their manufacturer (using a soldering iron) to have a lead to
feed the audio into the headset. Surely if it can be done this far from
civilisation, something similar can be arranged in the centre of the
known world without everyone having to whine at the designer.

I'd also say that that was about 5 years ago. Flarmboy (Nigel) got a
licence, got the radio approvals locally and manufactured and sold them
himself. Most Oz gliders have had Flarm for several years. I'd guess
that something similar could have been done by an enterprising person in
the US but...?

GC