Outside reference in IMC

Old May 20th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Outside reference in IMC

I fly in the southeastern US, nearly always under IFR, in a complex
sel. In reading other threads it's pretty clear that some others who
post here don't understand what IMC means. I mostly hand fly, and I'm
guessing 30% or more of my IMC flying is using the outside horizon,
with occasional glances at the VOR needle, altimeter, and DG to assure
myself I'm on course and at the correct altitude. Is that what most of
you GA types experience as well?

Maybe some posters have fogotten that IMC means weather conditions
including visibility and proximity to clouds that are not allowed
under VFR.
Old May 20th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I am new to the group, just read a little more. Thanks for the head's
up.

On May 20, 1:29 pm, Benjamin Dover wrote:
wrote in news:d6d39f71-aa59-4a2e-9709-
:

I fly in the southeastern US, nearly always under IFR, in a complex
sel. In reading other threads it's pretty clear that some others who
post here don't understand what IMC means. I mostly hand fly, and I'm
guessing 30% or more of my IMC flying is using the outside horizon,
with occasional glances at the VOR needle, altimeter, and DG to assure
myself I'm on course and at the correct altitude. Is that what most of
you GA types experience as well?

Maybe some posters have fogotten that IMC means weather conditions
including visibility and proximity to clouds that are not allowed
under VFR.,

It's just MXSmoron who doesn't know what IMC means. The rest of us do.

Old May 20th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Benjamin Dover" wrote in message

It's just MXSmoron who doesn't know what IMC means. The rest of us do.

IMC = I Might Crash ?
Old May 20th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Benjamin Dover

"Steve Foley" wrote in

"Benjamin Dover" wrote in message

It's just MXSmoron who doesn't know what IMC means. The rest of us do.

IMC = I Might Crash ?

IMC is now used to identify the author of a statement, as in

IMC: Yesterday I flew from ....

Which should be read as:

Ignoramus MXSmanic Comments: Yesterday I flew from ...

Old May 20th 08, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul kgyy

On May 20, 11:25 am, wrote:
I fly in the southeastern US, nearly always under IFR, in a complex
sel. In reading other threads it's pretty clear that some others who
post here don't understand what IMC means. I mostly hand fly, and I'm
guessing 30% or more of my IMC flying is using the outside horizon,
with occasional glances at the VOR needle, altimeter, and DG to assure
myself I'm on course and at the correct altitude. Is that what most of
you GA types experience as well?

Well, IMC does refer to , well, IMC, which by definition is restricted
visibility. Sometimes there is a horizon, but a good part of the
time, there isn't. Flying offshore in the summer over the Great
Lakes, even VFR conditions do not always present a useable horizon.
If in doubt, I use the gauges and if it's a long trip and not too
turbulent, I let the autopilot do some of the work while I do the
planning ahead.
Old May 20th 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_2_]

The acronyms speak for themselves:

One refers to rules, the other to conditions:

IMC - Instrument Meteorological Conditions - Condition under which flight
instruments are used to maintain control of an aircraft. How used: "Flight
into IMC". One would not say "an IMC rating". If you can use outside
references to maintain flight you are not in IMC... as in "flying in and out
of IMC".

IFR - Instrument Flight Rules - Refers to rules which you follow when
conducting and instrument flight...IMC or not. How used: "I filed IFR
today". One would not say "I have an IFR certificate" or

Notice IMC and IFR are phrases. Your certificate does not say either of
these. You do not have IFR rating, you have an Instrument rating.

--
Regards, BobF.

Old May 20th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Bob F." wrote in message news:au-

You do not have IFR rating, you have an Instrument rating.

No, I don't.

But I'm working on it.......

Old May 20th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Tue, 20 May 2008 15:43:10 -0400, "Bob F."
wrote:

You do not have IFR rating, you have an Instrument rating.

Usually not, but I have heard people say "I did my IFR with Krusty",
or, "He's working on his IFR", using it as a capability, similar to
"IFR" next to a rentable aircraft.

I know it isn't "right", but I do hear it. G
Old May 20th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_2_]

If you have, or intend to have an instructor rating you need to keep these
things straight. I find myself falling back every once in a while myself so
you have to keep questioning your (own) vocabulary.

For example: It's an attitude indicator, not and artificial horizon. It's
a heading indicator, not a directional gyro. If I catch a student using
terms incorrectly, I'll ask a question about it, for example, if he says he
wants to rent an IFR certified aircraft, I ask "How do you get an aircraft
certified 'IFR'?" The discussion helps remember the proper phrase from
then on.

' "IFR" next to a rentable aircraft." might be ok, implying the aircraft is
equipped, current and ready for IFR flight.

--
Regards, BobF.