Update on Spot

Old January 3rd 09, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kd6veb

Default Update on Spot

Hi Gang
I have been using Spot on every flight (about 120 hours total) since
last May and have not had to replace the batteries yet. Today I found
that I had left the unit on for 2 days since my last flight. Since the
aircraft had been in its hanger Spot was unable to get a GPS fix and
had turned itself off from the 10 minute message mode that I use when
flying to the non message mode. The batteries are still OK. I
periodically check, as I did today after a flight, that my flight
messages are being saved and they were.
I think this speaks highly of Spot and earlier criticisms of its
lithium batteries I think are unjustified. Spot is a unique and useful
product for pilots and I won't fly without my Spot. My wife concurs
with me.
Dave
Old January 3rd 09, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

The SPOT messenger did not change from SPOTcast aka tracking mode
because it could not get a GPS signal. The SPOT messenger will always
stop transmitting SPOTcast messages 24 hours after that mode is
started. This is likely to prevent erosion of Globalstar and Axxon
revenue for logistics tracking devices and maybe out of privacy
concerns, but I suspect it's mostly the earlier. Now how do tell if
the SPOT has a GPS fix? Time to RTFM.

Related to GPS fixes, I believe the SPOT messager (after early
criticism that SPOT was not going to do this) will broadcast it's ESN
even without a GPS fix for Help and 911 messages but not for OK and
SPOTcast messages, although it would probably be unusual if a
messenger could see Globalstar and not GPS, but it's worth knowing.

Darryl

Old January 8th 09, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rob[_5_]

On Jan 3, 5:30*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Related to GPS fixes, I believe the SPOT messager (after early
criticism that SPOT was not going to do this) will broadcast it's ESN
even without a GPS fix for Help and 911 messages but not for OK and
SPOTcast messages, although it would probably be unusual if a
messenger could see Globalstar and not GPS, but it's worth knowing.

I'd be very interested to see how SPOT's changes announced today will
benefit us:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/08/s...-to-messenger/

If you push the "Help" button, they'll call your preferred "Roadside
Assistance" number and give them your location. I don't know if
they'd accept the gliding clubhouse number as your Roadside Assistance
provider!

Cheers,

Rob

Spot deal, today only, buy service get a free Spot Tim Taylor Soaring 3 December 1st 08 10:30 PM
SPOT on Tuno Soaring 0 May 15th 08 09:36 PM
SPOT D.Rizzato General Aviation 0 February 5th 08 01:04 AM
SPOT D.Rizzato Piloting 0 February 5th 08 12:42 AM
SPOT D.Rizzato Home Built 0 February 5th 08 12:39 AM