Need CO analyzer for motorglider tuning

Old November 21st 04, 11:37 PM
Eric Greenwell

Default Need CO analyzer for motorglider tuning

The Schleicher factory uses a CO analyzer to tune the Wankel motor in
their self-launching gliders. I'd like to do it this way, as it gets a
good tuning more easily and quickly than the usual fiddling around with
the needle valves until everything is running right.

It requires a unit that can measure up to 8% CO. My problem is the
suitable units I can find are quite expensive, with the cheapest at
$2000US. These are automotive units which go to the 8% range, not the
much cheaper furnace and combustion meters that only go to 0.2% or so.

Does anyone know of a cheaper unit, or where good used ones might be
purchased? We've tried the $220 "Gastester" unit, and it is unsatisfactory.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old November 22nd 04, 12:05 AM
Stefan

Eric Greenwell wrote:

My problem is the suitable units I can find are quite expensive,

When I need professional and expensive equipment, I usually try to rent
it from a pro.

Stefan

Old November 22nd 04, 08:48 AM
Michel Talon

Eric Greenwell wrote:
The Schleicher factory uses a CO analyzer to tune the Wankel motor in
their self-launching gliders. I'd like to do it this way, as it gets a
good tuning more easily and quickly than the usual fiddling around with
the needle valves until everything is running right.

Isn't it possible to arrange with an automotive mechanics to do the
tuning for a small fee? Here nearly all these people have a CO analyzer.

--

Michel TALON

Old November 22nd 04, 09:14 PM
Eric Greenwell

Michel Talon wrote:

Eric Greenwell wrote:

The Schleicher factory uses a CO analyzer to tune the Wankel motor in
their self-launching gliders. I'd like to do it this way, as it gets a
good tuning more easily and quickly than the usual fiddling around with
the needle valves until everything is running right.

Isn't it possible to arrange with an automotive mechanics to do the
tuning for a small fee? Here nearly all these people have a CO analyzer.

I tried this initially, but nobody wanted a 60 foot glider assembled in
their parking lot, blowing a lot of air and dust around, nor did they
feel it was safe. I don't blame them - when you are standing 3 feet from
a 5 foot propeller turning 2000+ rpm at full throttle, it really gets
your attention! They also were uneasy about doing work on an aircraft,
since they are not certified for that.

I also tried to borrow or rent one of these instruments, but the only
ones I could locate were not portable: they were part of a heavy,
roll-around cabinet that weighed over 150 pounds, contained several
instruments, and could not be conveniently taken to the airport (or
anywhere). Nor did any of the owners want to let a $4000-$5000
instrument that they depended on for their employment leave their sight!

There are enough (25 or so) ASH 26 owners in the US that some of us
could buy a CO analyzer together, then ship it around the country as
needed. This might be only 3 or 4 times a year, as the engine doesn't
need tuning very often. Sharing ownership would cut the individual's
cost to less than $150. If we can locate a suitable instrument, that's
how we'll likely proceed.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old November 23rd 04, 01:43 AM
Atacdad

Eric,
You might check through a local Mazda RX club for a local rotary guru with a
shop...they just might be intrigued enough to give it a shot. You might
sniff around www.rx8-club.com as well. Us rotary owners are a clannish
lot....

AT

Old November 23rd 04, 07:44 PM
Eric Greenwell

Michel Talon wrote:

Eric Greenwell wrote:

[...]

Problems tuning nav radios cm Simulators 0 January 4th 05 12:29 AM
Tanis Pre-heater with Engine Analyzer O. Sami Saydjari Owning 12 January 29th 04 12:50 PM
Tuning up FS9 Dan Moos Simulators 3 September 14th 03 09:18 PM
Tuning In and Hot Take-Offs Art Cline Rotorcraft 0 July 28th 03 12:32 PM