Gliding simulators?

Old February 8th 05, 07:10 PM
Jancsika

Oscar wrote:

To re-phrase: are FS2004, SFSPC, etc just games to be enjoyed or are they
valid teaching tools? Is there any place for simulators in the learning
process? Does anybody here use sims regularly (say over the winter
month) as
a substitute for real gliding?

One more pictu
http://bauerj.fw.hu/SOTS/eddigiek_12_01.jpg
It was done from all igc files what we did in sots. We know Minden
quite well from sots. It was funny to see the face of a pilot flown
there, when after a fairly long discussion about the Minden mountains,
it turned out that I wasn't there at all.
Nowadays we fly on Sion scenery. That is also seems to be realistic.

/Jancsika
Old February 8th 05, 07:18 PM
Marc

YES, flight sims DO have LIMITED value in training for real-life soaring but
most gloss over details that every student encounters and must know. Each
program has its good points and shortcomings, and unfortunately the hardest
thing to simulate is low-speed handling; just what real-life students need
most practice with. Your interest is in learning for real-life, so I'll
list my suggestions in order of flight model accuracy, from easiest to most
realistic.

http://www.sfspc.de/index_e.htm
SFSpc is a fun game but not the best teacher for real life. It is engaging
but too easy to use. Tow and winch practice don't show realistic airspeed
and slack-line issues. Thermals are unrealistically cylindrical and smooth.
Thermals realistically start/stop with tops/bottoms instead of just shutting
off. All SFSpc thermals drift with the wind, where IRL some do ("bubble"
types, once well above ground level) and some don't ("fountain" types
continuously flow from a trigger point on the ground and SLANT as they rise;
performing "turns about a point" on a breezy day is a skill this program
won't bring up). Pitch and speed control is too easy. Yaw control is WAY
too simple and needs a LOT of improvement; once established in a turn it
does not require inside rudder and outside aileron as a real aircraft does.

MS Flight Simulator is fine for flight well above stall speed and I love it
for keeping instrument skills up in the deep winter, but I can't recommend
it for teaching flight close to stall speed (e.g. thermalling). Mind you, I
use FS 2004 a LOT because I like the graphics; everyone has a price.

http://www.x-plane.com/
X-plane is my favorite for rotary-wing practice and it does have a
respectable flight model. I miss the fun of competing sailplanes on a
cross-country task so I rarely spend more than 15 minutes soaring with it.
The graphics are about on par with SFSpc. Aero-tow and winch launch are
moderately accurate.

http://www.sailorsofthesky.com/
SOTS has possibly the best graphics, and very accurate handling. Spin
recovery may be MORE difficult than IRL, but that teaches you NOT to spin
without planning (and always plan for the possibility). SOTS thermals do
not drift with the wind. Like SFSpc they are cylindrical and too smooth. I
don't recall having to work upwind to avoid being pushed out of a thermal,
but that's because I sometimes use the delightful autopilot to thermal for
me. Slack-line problems on tow are not part of this program. I'm thrilled
to hear a new release is planned, as it is my current favorite soaring
simulator.

http://www.silentwings.no/
Silent Wings (still in beta) is my top pick for realistic aero-tow handling,
and the graphics are more than satisfactory. The aero-tow is EXCELLENT
because it is the only program that simulates slack-line problems. There is
no winch option. The beta has no wake turbulence from the tow plane so that
reminder is missing if you drift high/low on tow or when "boxing the wake".
The beta can't be stalled or spun, but the crossed controls needed during
low-speed circling feels JUST right. Inertia feels right too; press and
release the rudder and the nose oscilations damp slowly just as they should.
This makes three-axis control while thermalling in ragged lift feel VERY
real. This is (currently) the only program to model thermals as less than
mathmatically perfect cylinders from bottom to top. Thermals appear to
drift with the wind and clouds swell and fade noticably over time. If the
first released version of Silent Wings adds stall/spin then it may become my
top pick. The developers' hearts seem to be in the right place.