need for dial altimeter?

Old September 27th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default need for dial altimeter?

On Sep 27, 2:57*pm, JJ Sinclair wrote:

Alas, yes they both require old fashioned dial altimiters. With todays
glass cockpits, I'm wondering if this requirement isn't outdated?
JJ

JJ - Can you, or anyone else, reference a regulation on altimeters
that includes the word DIAL.

91.205.b.2) requires for VFR flight an "altimeter"

91.205.d.5) requires for IFR flight "a sensitive altimeter adjustable
for barometric pressure".

Neither requires a dial and neither requires a mechanical instrument.

Andy
Old September 28th 08, 07:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

On Sep 27, 3:51*pm, Andy wrote:
On Sep 27, 2:57*pm, JJ Sinclair wrote:

Alas, yes they both require old fashioned dial altimiters. With todays
glass cockpits, I'm wondering if this requirement isn't outdated?
JJ

JJ - Can you, or anyone else, reference a regulation on altimeters
that includes the word DIAL.

91.205.b.2) *requires for VFR flight an "altimeter"

91.205.d.5) requires for IFR flight "a sensitive altimeter adjustable
for barometric pressure".

Neither requires a dial and neither requires a mechanical instrument.

Andy

I am also building a homebuilt sailplane and talked with the DAR
(designated airworthiness representative) about the instrumentation.
The answer I got was that it's pretty much up to him. I can have a
compass out of a child's toy if that's what I want and he's willing to
sign it off. Ditto for most of the other instruments.
Old September 28th 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Good point, Andy.....................maybe we can use one of the many
altitude displays available. As you may have guessed, I removed the
big dial altimeter about a year ago when I installed a transponder. I
set field elevation on the SN10 which is on the first (custom) page
and set-up to be displayed at twice normal height. When not otherwise
being used I leave the black cursor on altitude.................works
like a charm! Yes, my flight manual says I need an altimiter approved
for use on certified aircraft, but it also says I must use the Prandtl
tube, but I'm using a triple probe instead. The guy that's sign'n off
my annual condition inspections doesn't sweat the little stuff.
JJ