Oudie Issues

Old July 15th 14, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

Default Oudie Issues

I have an early model Oudie 1, and lately the internal GPS has been dropping out on me. Is anyone else experiencing intermittent GPS drop outs?

I suspect that it may be heat related, but I wanted to see if anyone else is having similar problems. The last few times this has happened it was rather warm, and the way the unit is mounted in my libelle is pretty much in direct sunlight.

Peter
Old July 15th 14, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Peter,

I haven't heard of any Oudie intermittent GPS issues. If it is heat
related, make sure it is not in the cockpit with the canopy closed before
takeoff (or buy a metallic canopy cover) and make sure the battery is
charged before you put it in the glider. It gets much hotter when charging.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
_________________

Old July 15th 14, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 7:28:55 AM UTC-6, vontresc wrote:
I suspect that it may be heat related, but I wanted to see if anyone else is having similar problems.

I currently use the GPS from my PF to drive the Oudie (Which I recommend). On my old plane I had a first generation Oudie and a Cambridge 20 running separately. The GPS in the Oudie died and then the whole thing froze up and needed to be reset (The only time this ever happened to me while I owned it). I was at the Air Sailing contest in Reno and yes, it was hotter than hell that day and this happened just after launch. At altitude when it cooled off the Oudie worked fine. Also had NOTAMs for GPS outages which may have contributed. Was able to get the flight off of the Cambridge so still got scored for the day.

Old July 16th 14, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Does the Oudie 2 have a baro altitude sensor?
I had my Nano connected to the Oudie and supported by an external battery source. The battery failed, the Oudie reported primary gps data lost and reverted to the internal gps for the rest of the flight.

Post mission I compared the Nano log to the Oudie log and noted the baro altitude in the Oudie file went flat about the time of the battery failure, but it had a good gps altitude trace. The Nano had both baro and gps altitude data.

This leads me to think that the Oudie 2 does not have a baro sensor and was recording the Nano data before the failure.

My next flight I connected the Nano USB to Oudie RJ45 supported by ships (aircraft) power. No problems.

Paul, the 11,500 mAhr battery I bought at the SSA Convention failed on its second flight. I cannot charge it or get any power out of it. Glad I had manufactured a Y power cable to support the USB to RJ45 interface.

BillT
Old July 16th 14, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Bill,

Please contact me about the 5V battery issue. I've sold many of those
batteries and use them myself. This is the first issue that I have heard
of. It may be as simple as a charging cable issue. Also, the unit must be
turned-on to work. Let's talk through it over the phone sometime.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Oudie 5.19 Bug Lauren Soaring 3 June 4th 14 06:57 PM
Oudie IGC Dave Springford Soaring 4 November 12th 13 08:52 PM
Oudie Peter von Tresckow Soaring 2 December 18th 11 01:31 PM
Oudie Steve Hunt Soaring 2 July 8th 11 12:19 AM
oudie Steve Hunt[_2_] Soaring 0 July 7th 11 08:58 AM