SZD-55

Old February 6th 05, 03:16 PM
Alf

Default SZD-55

As I am a pondering the purchase of a new sailplane, I haven't seen to
much about the SZD-55.

Is it an outdated design? I can't find any vices with it, other than
there are not many for sale. I see more jantars than 55's.

On paper, for the price, it looks like a good performer with good
handling.

Old February 6th 05, 09:04 PM
GK

Alf wrote:
As I am a pondering the purchase of a new sailplane, I haven't seen

much about the SZD-55.

Is it an outdated design? I can't find any vices with it, other than
there are not many for sale. I see more jantars than 55's.

On paper, for the price, it looks like a good performer with good
handling.

- It was designed in 1989, LD 1/44 TESTED not CLAIMED (please refer to
Johnson tests - http://www.ssa.org/Magazines/Johnson.asp), took second
place in Worlds. There isnt too many of them around and for the price
of a new glider it seems like the best bang for the buck these days.

Old February 6th 05, 10:08 PM

1:44 ? One foot forward for every 44 feet down. That's even worse than
a PW5.

Old February 8th 05, 03:14 PM
Bob

Alf wrote:
other than there are not many for sale.

Maybe that is testament to how content the owners are!

Ease of assembly, flying characteristics, value/performance for the
money...... it takes a lot to beat it.

Bob

Old February 8th 05, 03:42 PM
Nils Hoeimyr

Bob wrote:
Alf wrote:

other than there are not many for sale.

Maybe that is testament to how content the owners are!

Ease of assembly, flying characteristics, value/performance for the
money...... it takes a lot to beat it.

Agree to all of that. ;o)

Note that the SZD-55 is in production again,
you will find more info he http://www.szd.com.pl

Nils [ SZD-55 "AZ" ]

Old February 8th 05, 07:18 PM
WDM

As one of 2 SZD-55 owners at our field, I can attest to the great
support both from Allstar out of Poland and the North American
Distributor (Jerzy at Windpath). We have had great ease in getting
parts and service. We have been very pleased so far.

....WDM

Old February 8th 05, 09:04 PM
Kevin Christner

WDM wrote:
As one of 2 SZD-55 owners at our field, I can attest to the great
support both from Allstar out of Poland and the North American
Distributor (Jerzy at Windpath). We have had great ease in getting
parts and service. We have been very pleased so far.

...WDM

Jerzy provides excellent support. I got a new panel for my Jantar from
him and everything was great.

Kevin Christner

Old February 17th 05, 01:26 AM
Yurek

"Alf" wrote in message roups.com...
As I am a pondering the purchase of a new sailplane, I haven't seen to
much about the SZD-55.
Is it an outdated design? I can't find any vices with it, other than
there are not many for sale. I see more jantars than 55's.
On paper, for the price, it looks like a good performer with good handling.

Some 55's owners explained how happy they are with theirs sailplanes.
I would just like to point the question of the "outdated design".
Last year, a German pilot, Michael Sommer, confirmed excellent
performances of this glider by winning - on board of a SZD-55 the
Australian Championship in the class 15 m in Gulgong. There is no
error, you did read well : in 15 m class, not in the standard class !
In one of tasks, he reached the average speed of 159,55 km/h in a race
of 421 km...