wristbands for air sickness, do they work ?

Old November 10th 08, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default wristbands for air sickness, do they work ?

Use your head rest. Minimize head movements, especially pitching your
head up and down. Use your eyeballs to look around. Yes you must
look around especially before turning, always clear your turns. But
if you minimize unnecessary head pitching you WILL reduce your motion
sickness. Also, you can condition yourself by stimulating your
equilibrium system by swinging on swings and twirling on playground
equipment. Don't make yourself sick, stop and sit still till the
feeling passes. The more you expose yourself to extreme equilibrial
stimulation the more you will be able to tolerate. Eventually it will
not be a problem or will only bother after a long lay off from
soaring. Then you just have to work up to it again. Don't let this
problem stop you.

Old November 10th 08, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Berry[_2_]

In article ,
"Jack" None wrote:

I am learning to fly gliders and I struggle with motion sickness.

I have tried:
- Ginder tablets, it helped but I was still a bit nauseaus.
- Motion sickness tablets, they affect my awareness and concentration.
- Chewing various things, best was beef jerky (not a joke) it helps but
still not good enough.

Hi,

I have one of the electronic wrist bands and it usually works for me. I
say "usually" because it sometimes does not prevent me from becoming
queasy if I am already fatigued or if the conditions are very warm and
turubulent. However, it does the trick about 90% of the time. Works
great on my wife is she has an upset stomach.

What works 100% of the time for me is a prescription drug called
"Scopace". It's scopolamine just like the anti-nausea patches. However,
it's in pill form. It works much faster than the patches, you can
control the dose much better, and it's dirt cheap. The only side effect
I notice is dry mouth. No drowsiness or visual impairment, although
those are possible with scopolamine. I did a couple of 6 hour flights,
low and hot, struggling to stay aloft (significant task overcalls) and
the scopace kept me feeling well. Even if there was some decrement to my
mental state that I did not perceive, it was not nearly as large as the
decrement one experiences when severely nauseous. Go see your doc and
get a scrip for scopace, try it out on the ground for a day before you
use it in the air.
Old November 10th 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vic20owner

Maybe try flying often on a simulator?

Even a simulator would make me feel a little dizzy in the beginning,
and my girlfriend feels sick almost instantly when she sees me flying
on it. In the air however, I have not been sick (yet) even in tight
circles. I've only three lessons in so I guess there is still time!
I think it helps because you learn to anticipate the movements.

Old November 10th 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Nov 10, 10:12*am, vic20owner wrote:
Maybe try flying often on a simulator?

Even a simulator would make me feel a little dizzy in the beginning,
and my girlfriend feels sick almost instantly when she sees me flying
on it. *In the air however, I have not been sick (yet) even in tight
circles. *I've only three lessons in so I guess there is still time!
I think it helps because you learn to anticipate the movements.

Not sure about that. We had a know-it-all (according to the ride
pilot) young person with 1500 hours claimed on a flight simulator.
Puked his guts out on his first glider ride.
Old November 10th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vic20owner

Not sure about that. We had a know-it-all (according to the ride
pilot) young person with 1500 hours claimed on a flight simulator.
Puked his guts out on his first glider ride.

Hah! That's perfect. Sounds like he needed that humbling experience
to dumb him down a few notches.

Old November 10th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James

Acupuncture works, I am the most sceptical person when it comes to
"alternative remedies" but it really does work and I read somewhere that
the wrist pressure works because it is an acupunture point. You would need
to talk to an acupunture practitioner to get confirmation.
As an example I have a very strong gag reflex and my dentist had to take
some impressions, garunteed to make me gag. She made me press quite hard
on a point centrally under my bottom lip for 90 seconds. I was convinced I
would gag. The impressions were taken with absolutely no problem. It does
work, why I have no idea and the fact that it cannot be scientifically
explained does not alter that fact.

..
..
I recently read a report on a large study of acupuncture. There were
two large groups, one being a control group. Both groups improved
significantly. The study group received acupuncture at the
recommended locations by acupuncture experts. The control received the
same treatment except that the sites for the needles were chosen at
random.

While both groups improved there was no significant difference between
the two groups. Sorry I don't remember exactly where I saw the
report.

James
..
..
Old November 10th 08, 09:38 PM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia

Jack, hang in there

I found the further away from the airstrip I got, the less sick I got.
Go cross-country as soon as you can, the increased concentration required lessens the nausea. Try not to think about it too much.

Also, classically-
Eat banana's before flying. They contain lots of potassium.
(but actually they just taste better coming up than most things)

bagger
Old November 10th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

Derek Copeland wrote:

Something about the active ingredient in Kwells tablets, which is hyoscine
hydrobromide. See:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100001438.html

It seems it can cause drowsiness and vision disturbances, so probably not
suitable for solo flying. However it could be used during training until
the student gets used to the sensations of flying and stops being sick.

"...can cause..." is the operative phrase. I use Scopalamine patches
(Scopaderm) for sailing, because I get appallingly seasick. I have
never felt the need for flying, but if that was what it took, I'd use
them ... but that's after many, many days of using the things and the
knowledge that they don't cause any drowsiness or vision disturbances /
in me/.

Ian
Old November 11th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MickiMinner

I am suprised that no one mentioned auricular therapy. this is based
off of acupuncture, only there is NO puncture. The technician merely
applies a small metal bead to the back of your ear in the same place
that you would stick an acupuncture needle, and applies a little patch
on top of the bead to hold it in place (NO drugs in the patch)....it
works like a charm. I had a brain tumor with lots of dizziness and
nausea, and they worked great, and I didn't have to introduce any new
drugs into my system while recovering.
just an idea worth exploring....Micki

Old November 11th 08, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

*this is based off of acupuncture, only there is NO puncture. *

Isn't that called acupressure?

-Paul

Air sickness Amine Piloting 125 June 7th 08 12:10 PM
anybody benefit once, mean therefore, then compensate since the sickness above the sentence Franklin Piloting 0 August 14th 07 01:34 AM
XC Sickness [email protected] Soaring 17 July 13th 07 05:45 AM
Anything new in to combat motion sickness? Gary Emerson Soaring 35 February 6th 07 04:38 PM
Gulf Sickness Redux? DunxC Military Aviation 0 September 18th 03 06:36 AM