Snapshot camera for gliding ?

Old February 4th 10, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Snapshot camera for gliding ?

Hi All - I'm looking for recommendations for a
snapshot camera to carry while gliding. Last
season I used my iPhone - its a pain to use
in the cockpit.

Ideal camera:
- very thin (fits easily in side pocket)
- instant on
- no settings to fiddle after turning it on
- doesn't autofocus on canopy
- super-fast focus and shoot
- fast repeat shooting
- easy operation with one hand

Needs to be grab-and-shoot with no fuss and no wait.

Recommendations ?
Thanks in advance,
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"
Old February 4th 10, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Feb 4, 9:53*am, Dave Nadler wrote:
Hi All - I'm looking for recommendations for a
snapshot camera to carry while gliding. Last
season I used my iPhone - its a pain to use
in the cockpit.

Ideal camera:
- very thin (fits easily in side pocket)
- instant on
- no settings to fiddle after turning it on
- doesn't autofocus on canopy
- super-fast focus and shoot
- fast repeat shooting
- easy operation with one hand

Needs to be grab-and-shoot with no fuss and no wait.

Recommendations ?
Thanks in advance,
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"

There are a bunch that will do. I use Canon SD1000 -- no longer made
-- bought an SD1200 for someone for Christmas, looks like the same
only faster, slightly smaller. RTFM -- you'll be surprised at the
capabilities of these little gems.

-T8
Old February 4th 10, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Feb 4, 10:37*am, T8 wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the recommendation.

I do not want to RTFM; if thats necessary
the camera is not the effortless point-and-shoot
needed for quick shots while flying.

Does this camera *require* RTFM,
or is it really point-and-shoot ?

Thanks again,
Best Regards, Dave
Old February 4th 10, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Feb 4, 10:39*am, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Feb 4, 10:37*am, T8 wrote:

[...]

You RTFM so you understand, among other things, how to lock the focus
on infinity, tweak color balance, iso, etc. These settings are
retained when power is off. Power on to first shot is 1 sec.
These cameras will take acceptable snapshots in dummy mode, will take
very nice photographs with only a little more effort. The only thing
that is really essential in the cockpit is locking the focus, and that
you can figure out simply playing with the camera. In the cockpit,
all you do is turn it on, fire away and turn it off.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old February 4th 10, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

I do not want to RTFM; if thats necessary
the camera is not the effortless point-and-shoot
needed for quick shots while flying.

Actually, all digital cameras require you to RTFM to produce decent
results. RTFM once, do the desired settings and *then* you can point and
shoot for the rest of your or your camera's life.

You need a camera which allows you to turn off autofocus, otherwise it
will capture the dead flies on the canopy rather than the landscape. A
"conventional" viewfinder helps in bright sunlight and is an absolute
requirement for me. As far as I know, this latter requirement narrows
your choices pretty much to Canon.
Old February 4th 10, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Feb 4, 10:37*am, T8 wrote:

[...]

You read the manual so you understand how to set the camera for best
results. Once set, the setting are retained power off.

The only essential is locking the focus on infinity, and that you can
figure out simply by looking at the back of the camera. RTFM will get
you better results -- most of the current generation cameras take
really nice photos with a few tweaks, but all do have a 'dummy mode'
that will take an acceptable snapshot under almost all conditions.

In actual cockpit use, it's power on, point, shoot, power off.

Old February 4th 10, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Feb 4, 7:39*am, Dave Nadler wrote:

I do not want to RTFM...

Dave, do you mind if I take that remark out of context?

Just asking...

Thanks, Bob K.
Old February 4th 10, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Feb 4, 10:59*am, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Feb 4, 7:39*am, Dave Nadler wrote:

I do not want to RTFM...

Dave, do you mind if I take that remark out of context?

Just asking...

Thanks, Bob K.

That's the best laugh I've had this week!

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old February 4th 10, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Feb 4, 10:37*am, T8 wrote:

[...]

I have an excellent digital camera.
It does not save many settings across power cycles.
It has numerous controls on its exterior that get bumped,
regularly putting it into unusable modes and requiring
lots of fiddling to get it back to something useful, unless
I don't notice in which case the shots are junk.

I'm trying to avoid this for cockpit use...

Does the Cannon D1200 save all settings across
power setting so that's its truly point-and-shoot
after initial configuration ?

Old February 4th 10, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Feb 4, 10:59*am, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Feb 4, 7:39*am, Dave Nadler wrote:

I do not want to RTFM...

Dave, do you mind if I take that remark out of context?

Just asking...

Thanks, Bob K.

Why not, everything else gets taken out of context...
See ya, Dave

PS: Bob ! Get back to the shop and stop messing with the computer !